Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - May 6, 2022
In this Newsletter …
- Finals Care Packages
- Gridiron Club Fundraiser - 5/7
- Kudos & Celebrations
Guide to 4th Quarter
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
BVEF BMW Fundraiser
Spring Activity Guide
Durham Bus Information
Finals Care Package - order deadline May 11
Is your teen stressed about Finals Week? Senior finals are scheduled to start on Monday, May 16th, and underclass finals begin on Thursday, May 19th, which is soon! Please purchase a Finals Care Package for your teen or yourself at the school store, The Stampede, or online at https://bvn-stampede.square.site/s/shop for only $10. It has all sorts of good treats to help get through Finals Week. Good Luck!
This is an image similar to what students will receive:
Exact items are subject to change, but students will receive a drink, a few treats, a couple school supplies, a sticker, a fidget and an encouraging note. Sales end on Wednesday, May 11th, and will be delivered no later than Monday, May 16th! This fundraiser is brought to you by and benefits the Blue Valley North Class of 2025. Thanks for your support!
BVN Gridiron Club Fundraiser - May 7
Who's ready for the football season? Meet the 2022-23 Mustang Coaching Staff at the annual BVN Gridiron Club Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Fundraiser on Saturday, May 7th. Come win prizes, purchase your cowbells and learn how you can help the GIC prepare for next year's football season!
When: Saturday, May 7th, 6:00 p.m. -10:00 p.m.
Where: 13206 Walmer St. 66209
Home of Doug & Tina May
Order tickets here: https://www.bvngic.com
Thanks for your support!
Kudos and Celebrations
Boy's Tennis Team (new)
The Varsity Tennis Team played hard to capture fourth place at the Plaza Tournament with Matthew Crossland, Tanner Summers, Zachary Amsterdam, Asher Kort, CJ Smith and Aneesh Vasamreddy. CJ Smith finished in second place and Tanner Summers finished in fourth place for singles. Matthew Crossland and Zachary Amsterdam placed fourth and Asher Kort and Aneesh Vasamreddy finished eighth in doubles.
Last weekend, the team also finished second at EKL. Varsity team members who competed included Eli Amsterdam, Matthew Crossland, Tanner Summers, Zachary Amsterdam, Asher Kort, CJ Smith, Aneesh Vasamreddy and Emerson Harse. CJ Smith had a second place finish for singles. Asher Kort and Aneesh Vasamreddy finished second and Matthew Crossland and Zachary Amsterdam finished in third place for doubles.
DECA Nationals (new)
If you see the following students make sure you congratulate them on a job well done at DECA Nationals in the GLORIOUS city of Atlanta, GA.
These students did a GREAT job representing BVN. It was pretty AMAZING how many different chapter advisors came up to Mr. Ken Taylor and Ben Levy (DECA Sponsors and BVN Teachers) and asked what the SECRET is on how to run a TIPTOP DECA Chapter. The secret is having really great students! Mustang Proud!
Girls' Soccer Team (new)
The varsity girls soccer team went 3-0 last weekend in Iowa at The Tournament of Champions. They were winners of The Capelli Bracket with 12 goals for and 1 against. Come cheer on your Lady Mustangs next Tuesday against Blue Valley Northwest and Thursday against Blue Valley West. Both games are at 6:30 at The Switzer District Activity Center.
Student College Signing Ceremony (new)
On Wednesday, May 4, in the BVN Gym, the following students were recognized. Next year, these students are taking their sport, performing arts specialty, and business endeavers to the next level at their respective colleges. Let's give these students a round of applause!
Caleb Asjes ~ Baseball ~ Highland Community College
Lily Canent ~ Theatre - Songwriting ~ Belmont University
Caroline Cool ~ Basketball ~ St. Ambrose University
Matt Crossland ~ Tennis ~ North Central College
Mary Crossland ~ Basketball - Regis University
Jasmine Dulan ~ Volleyball ~ University of Missouri
Ty Eubanks ~ Computer Science ~ University of Kentucky
Ty Farrington ~ Football ~ University of Kansas
Scarlett Jones ~ Theatre - Performance & Writing ~ University of Missouri
Sydney Kauphusman ~ Theatre - Acting ~ University of Southern California
Daniel Keller ~ Baseball ~ Missouri Valley College
Olivia Keller ~ Theatre - Costume Technology ~ DePaul University
Carlie Kidwell ~ Golf ~ Columbia College
Quentin Nutt ~ Soccer ~ MidAmerica Nazarene University
El O’Brien ~ Theatre Design & Technology ~ Michigan State University
Sam Peterson ~ Swim ~ Swarthmore College
Elise Shumate ~ Soccer ~ Baker University
Environmental Club Shoe Drive Thank You (new)
A big thank you to all of you who donated shoes for the Environmental Club's Shoe Drive. These club members did a fantastic job organizing the event with students Caroline Mathews and Molly McCartan leading the way. Lots of hard work went into this event and we are grateful. Congratulations and we celebrate this group for helping to protect our environment by recycling and reusing!
Blue Valley North's Guide to Fourth Quarter 2022
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Virtual summer school will continue to take enrollment for credit recovery courses (class was taken previously and failed) through June 3rd. Register through Parentvue. For non-credit recovery classes, enrollment is on a space availability basis. Email Robert Asquith at firstname.lastname@example.org to check on availability. See more information here - https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms
- In-person credit recovery summer classes are available. Contact your counselor for more information.
- Seniors must complete their senior exit survey prior to Class Day on May 20th. Survey instructions can be found here - https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/naviance-12th-grade
- 2022-23 Enrollment: If your incoming Freshman is not a current Blue Valley 8th grade student, please contact Sarah King, email@example.com.
- Senior scholarships can be found on Naviance Home page->College tab->Scholarship Search https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Check out School year and Summer Opportunities - Opportunities
- Juniors and Seniors can sign up to attend college admission rep visits to BVN - Naviance Home page->Colleges tab->College Visits https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- Info about the Senior Check-Out Form
- A link to purchase the Senior Class Picture
- The schedule of Senior Final Exams
- Scholarship info
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet. If not ordered, plan to send $40 cash with your senior to grad practice. Seniors must have a gown to participate in Class Day and Commencement. Any issues, please talk to Mr. Cox ASAP.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
- A downloadable image of Senior Events (shown below)
One of the most anticipated events, aside from Graduation, is the Senior Celebration to be held on May 13th. Plan to be in the PAC for the Senior Breakfast at 9:45am (food from McLain's Market!) and then head outside from 11:45 am to 3:00 pm on the BVN West Turf Field. It is the official Kick-off to Graduation activities, and is supported by the BVN Student Council, the Mustang Club and the Father's Club. There will be a live DJ, complimentary food trucks, inflatables, and snacks. Also, the yearbooks will be distributed at this event! Your Seniors will not want to miss it!
We need your help to make it a success--a HUGE Thank you to all of you who have signed up to contribute and/or volunteer! There are still opportunities to help, so please access this SignUpGenius below to support the Senior Celebration:
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Seniors who attended Valley Park Elementary - May 10
Please join us for our Senior Reunion Open House on Tuesday, May 10 from 4:00 pm to 4:45 pm in the VPE library. You can walk through the school, look at yearbooks and visit with some of your favorite teachers! Refreshments will be served. We hope to see you!
Seniors who attended Overland Trail Elementary ~ May 11
Save the Date! Please join us for our Senior Reunion Open House on Wednesday, May 11th, from 4:00-4:45 p.m. in the OTE library. You can walk through the school, look at yearbooks, and visit with some of your favorite teachers! Refreshments will be served. We hope to see you!
Project Grad for Seniors
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time has returned on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office.
Thank you for teaming with Blue Valley North and continue to talk with your student and ask them how they spend their time during North Time on Fridays.
Blue Valley North's May 2022 Schedule
BVEF is thrilled once again to add a raffle for a two-year lease on a brand-new BMW to our mix of fundraisers to put more money back into your schools! The drawing will be held on May 24, and the link to buy raffle tickets is Raffle for a Reason — Blue Valley Educational Foundation (fundbv.org)
The Mustang Club Spring Sports Spirit Wear -- Shop Now!
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at email@example.com .
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Spring Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/gyhk/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Medical Messages (updates)
Message to graduating 12th graders Class of 2022
Congratulations to all the graduating 12th-grade BVN Class of 2022. Parents and graduating 12th graders, please be aware that a very important document will be enclosed with your diploma. Each 12th grader will have a BVN Immunization Profile with their diploma. This is a complete record of all your required immunizations on file with the school. This record should always be kept in an easily accessible safe place for the future. You may be required to show proof of immunization for college, prospective employment, and traveling abroad.
Prescription Medications & End of the year at BVN – (REVISION)
Parents who have students who require prescription medication while in school should contact the nurse to schedule a medication dropped off. The medication must be in the current labeled prescription pill bottle with signed medical order from the physician.
For parents with students who have prescription medication in the nurse’s office, all prescription medications will need to be scheduled to be picked up by a parent or parental consent must be given for a student to pick up their medication. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 913-239-3013 to speak with Nurse Collichio about picking up your medication.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
Teen Parent Resources
Prepped and Ready: Parenting into the Teen Years
The "Prepped and Ready" presentation provides a brief overview on the following topics, with an emphasis on suicide prevention:
- Eating disorder prevention
- Home safety (including storage of firearms, medications, etc.)
- Substance use (including vaping)
- Suicide prevention
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info
Testing/Drop off location: MAWD labs 14950 Newton Drive Overland Park, KS (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Office Campus).
BV MAWD Regular Hours: * BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (https://mawdbvsd.simplybook.us/v2/ )(up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account (https://c19order.com/school/enrollment) for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete a consent form and must be with the student at the Drive-In Clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Tests: Nasal self-swab and saliva PCR tests are both offered at the clinic. Individuals will need to refrain from eating or drinking 30 minutes prior to the saliva test.
- Test results are sent to the provided email/text address and to Blue Valley Health Services generally within 12-16 hours. They are not sent to building nurses.
Students and families who wish to access PCR testing, may use the MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic or any other community COVID-19 testing* location.
- BV MAWD Hours for Last Day of School: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Thursday, May 26 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
BV MAWD Regular Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm
- Friday: 8am-3:30pm
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is canceled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff absences or transportation absences.
BV MAWD Courier Pickup Times:
- Monday-Thursday @ 11:30am and 5:45pm
- Friday @ 11am and 4:15pm
- Sunday @ 2:15pm
Normal dropoff hours at the MAWD Labs Headquarters: 11070 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Monday - Friday: 8am-9pm
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday