How Hot is the Sun?

Parts of the Sun

The Core is the middle of the Sun, The Core can reach temperatures at around 27 million degrees F ( 15 million degrees C ). The Core creates chemical elements ( mostly Hydrogen).


When the energy is created its moves to a different part of the Sun called the Radiative zone. The Radiative zone is where the energy bounces around for up to 1 million years. After the time the energy becomes photons and in conveyed to the convective zone.


The Convective zone is farther out past the Radiative zone. The Convective zone extends outwards making up 45% of its radius. The energy made from the core is carried out by light units through the Radiative zone and Convective zone.

After the Convective zone is the Photosphere.


The Photosphere is the outside of the sun that we see during that day. The Photosphere detects radiation as sunlight. The Photosphere can reach temperatures up to 10,000 degrees F.


After the Photosphere is the Chromosphere. The Chromosphere is the second layer of the Sun's atmosphere. The Chromosphere is above the Photosphere but is not bright enough as the Photosphere which makes it harder to see. The temperatures of the Chromosphere can reach temperatures of 7,800 degrees F.


The third layer of the Sun's atmosphere the Corona. The Corona is the aura that we see off the sides of the Sun. The Corona can be seen during a eclipse. The Corona can reach temperatures of 3.5 million degrees F.

Big image

How the Sun Makes Energy

The Core makes a lot of elements. The most important Hydrogen. In the Core, Hydrogen becomes compressed and makes Helium. When the Hydrogen and Helium mix its makes a Nuclear Fusion. During the Nuclear Fusion the gases in the Sun become the form of photons and neutrinos.


After they form photons and neutrinos they are pulled out through the Sun to the Convective Zone. In the Convective Zone the photons and neutrinos are converted into radiation. The radiation is dragged to the Photosphere where the radiation is converted to energy.


Studies have showed that the amount of radiation created by the Sun changes the solar activity. Scientists think that the climate changes might be linked to short term and/or long term solar cycles. Some scientists have tried to find a relationship between Earth's weather and solar variability.

Elements in the Sun

The Sun is made out of a lot of chemical elements but 72% of those elements are Hydrogen. The other 28% is Helium and traces of other elements. The elements in the Sun make up 25% of the Sun.


Astronomers have found 67 chemical elements found in the Sun. The 10 most common elements are Hydrogen, Helium, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Silicon, Magnesium, Neon, Iron and Sulfur.

Big image

Vocabulary

Photosphere

Chromosphere

Corona

Radiative Zone

Convective Zone

Core

Hydrogen

Helium

Nuclear Fusion

Chemical Elements

Big image