The Ritenour Review
2015 - 2016 Third Grade Weekly News
Websites to Use at Home
- Scootpad: go to zcs.k12.in.us -> login using username: first-last and password is lunch code -> click on scootpad icon
- office.com: We have used Word so far.
**We will add to this list in the coming weeks.
My apologies for sending this later than planned. I was advised by a few classmates that they never saw the weekly blog.
Our Fall Break has concluded, and I truly hope your time was relaxing, memorable, and fun. Hopefully your student and family are ready for a school routine to resume. So let's "fall" into this week with happiness, patience, and a mindset of growth/progress as we lean into our second quarter of the school year. In advance, thank you for continuing to reinforce the importance of reading each night for your third grader. Our next reading unit of study will concentrate heavily on non-fiction texts. So, please encourage your student to get his/her hands on those rich, fact-based, books and/or magazines. Maybe a trip to the Zionsville library is in order this week or upcoming weekend so your student can be immersed in MANY non-fiction texts at home.
Fall Party Thanks
The following parents threw a terrific party for the students and deserve a big round of applause: Magaly Perez, Tracy Wooden, Jane King and , Rosa Ozuyener. Weren't the fall pumpkins adorable? We enjoyed snacks, punpkin shuffle board, and pin-the-bow-on-the-skeleton. What fun!!
Cursive Handwriting Books
The Friday before break, your child brought home his/her handwriting book. Over teh next few weeks, each child needs to review the lower case cursive letters they learned in second grade. We will begin the capital letters in December. Your child needs to complete pages 25 - 85. They will need to return the book after Thanksgiving Break. A little bit here and there will allow them to finish with plenty of time. They can return the book if they finish early.
Please email me a picture of your student reading at home in his/her favorite spot. I would like to share this picture as part of my morning message in our classroom during the next few weeks. Let's make this a surprise - sshhh. Just snap a quick photo when he/she is not looking and pass it along to me. Thank you.
Ask your third grader Tuesday evening about this amazing event we will experience at school.
Big Announcement ... So Empowering and Fun!
Genius Hour! Look for details by Friday!
Zionsville History Study
Thanks to Mrs. Rosa Ozuyener, Sofia O.'s Mom and our classroom Zionsville History Expert Liaison, we will begin our study of Zionsville this quarter. Thank you Mrs. Ozuyener for your time and energy on behalf of our students.
Field Trip -
Southside Landfill and Indiana State Museum Field Trip
Tuesday, November 13
9:00 - 2:00
Look out for the field trip permission slip coming home this week. We have had a few changes in our schedule and had to work with the landfill to confirm those changes. We have it squared away now. If you are interested in chaperoning, please reach out to me and I will get you on the list.
If your complete background check is not already on file with our front office secretaries, please submit your paperwork today so you can be sure it's back in time for you to attend. Please see Mr. Hundley's Friday Flyer for details on how to submit your paperwork for the complete background check or call our front office.
As always, thank you for reading and stay in touch.
Next Week's Mentor Sentence
"Or you might find a big mossy rock by the side of a long, steep trail.
~I Need My Monster
*We will also continue to review subjects and predicates. This is a beautiful book to look for adjectives and vivid details, too.
Coming Up Next Week:
Specifically in each subject we will be getting into the following:
- Math: We will review our unit two math tests and set goals for ourselves as mathematicians. We will spend a bit this week looking into perimeter and area with hands on activities. We will hold off and get our brains ready before we jump into unit 3.
- Reading: During this unit, your child should aim for at least thirty minutes of reading each night. Of course,I encourage them to read some nonfiction, but they can also keep their fiction reading going. The choice is up to them on how much time they will spend on each.
- Science: We will culminate our life science unit and pack up our kits. A special treat will be on Tuesday when we return. Our favorite Rock Lady is visiting Boone Meadow again and will be sharing her passion of rocks and how we use them everyday. It is one of my favorite days in third grade!
- October 24th - Blood Drive 3:00-7:00pm Cafe
- November 10th - BME Talent Show Rehearsal 2:00pm
- November 12th - Veterans Day Program 9:30am
- November 13th - Landfill and State Museum Field Trip
- November 17th - BME Talent Show 2:00pm