Kingswood's Weekly Update
Principal Message 11/16/20
Dear Kingswood Families,
I hope that all is well in your world today. We had an exciting morning at school as all face-to-face students in grades K-3 came into the building today along with Cohort A of fourth and fifth grades. All went smoothly and students remembered their masks and social distancing as they entered the building this morning. In walking around the school, it was great to see students remembering how to SWIM-Stay safe, Work Hard, Is kind and respectful and Manage actions. I saw such positivity and felt good that students are paying attention each week as we focus on a character strength in morning meeting with our Positivity Project. This week our Character Strength is Gratitude and I feel very grateful to be the principal of this school.
If you are driving your child/children to school, please remember that we only turn right into and out of the parking lot. This is important as it keeps the flow smoother and promotes safety. In the morning and afternoon, we have a monitor out front on East Johnson Street with a sign reminding drivers of this important safety rule. Thanks for following this rule.
Don’t forget that breakfast and lunch are both available to all students in the building free of charge for the rest of the school year. Please enjoy this free service.
Also, please place the ear buds that were given out at the beginning of the year in your child's backpack in case they are needed while in school.
Carpool and temperature checks
For those of you bringing your student to school it is important to adhere to our normal "no left turns" in and out of the parking lot. This rule is in place for the safety of all of our students and families. When coming to school make sure to enter E.Johnson St from either Harrison Ave or Academy St, this way you will be making a right turn into our parking lot. After dropping your child off please make only right turns out of our parking lot to keep our flow of traffic going. Thank you for your adherence to our safety procedures.
Temperature checks are being done for each student as they are getting ready to exit the car. If a staff member needs to do a re-check (because a child's temperature was too high) please pull forward to the re-check area (there will be a labeled area ). A few tips to make sure your child does not have a false positive temperature check: While waiting in carpool line, take off any hat/hood and lower heater/blower so students temperature is at a more normal level.
River Rock Project
Don't forget to decorate your rock that was sent home. Your parent can bring the rock (in the baggie and paper)to Kingswood and place it in the basket that is on the Library cart. We can't wait to see all of our creative student designs!
See you soon, The Specialists
The health and safety of our students and staff is of the upmost importance. All students will be required to wear masks as we all need to follow the 3W's (wait 6 ft, wear a mask, wash hands frequently). This return to school guide is a good place to start for getting your questions answered https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yg8St2cQtu4u-aQpY8ouHd7XZmRitwP4/view
Please have your child practice wearing a mask if they have not done so before so as to make the transition easier for them. Let them know there will be a health screening before they enter the building.
- Car riders: will arrive in the same fashion as last year with one difference. When you pull your car up in the line, your child will need to be screened BEFORE your child can exit the car. This process will add time to drop off so please plan your schedule accordingly.
- Bus riders: Bus riders will get screened after they exit the bus while on campus. If a student does not pass the screening they will wait in the Care Center where you will be called to pick up your student as soon as possible.
- Breakfast: If your child would like breakfast in the morning there will be a grab and go style breakfast when they enter the building, where they will eat in the classroom. Protocols for safely eating in the classroom have been established.
- Students will all be dismissed from the classroom. Car riders: when you pull up in line make sure your carpool tag is prominently displayed. If you do not have one, the staff member who is identifying the cars will ask your name and ask if you need a tag. You will receive a tag (with your student) during the first week. Since dismissal will take longer than usual please have patience as we do our best to keep all the children safe and socially distanced. Bus riders: as always in the beginning of the year dismissal takes a bit longer than later in the year. If you would like to know where the bus is, please download the "Here Comes the Bus" app and follow the directions here https://www.wcpss.net/Page/35380 Please have patience as we make sure students are socially distanced for dismissal and everyone can stay safe.
- Water fountains are closed at the present time. Please send your child to school with a water bottle. If that is not possible, we will have cups available for students to get a drink of water from the sink in their classroom.
- Students are required to wear a face covering at all times while on the bus. Drivers will submit a bus incident form if a student arrives at the stop without a face covering. Drivers will have a supply of face coverings to give to students who don’t have them. This video shows parents and students all the bus health and safety procedures.
- All bus riders are required to submit the one-time attestation form. Forms can be found at wcpss.net/busform. Parents have the option of submitting the form online https://busriderattestation.wcpss.net/ (link may not be active yet) or by hard copy to the office.
- EC Riders: The health attestation form is not applicable for vendor transportation. A parent/guardian should wear a face covering to accompany the student to the vendor vehicle while maintaining a six-foot distance from other passengers. The student will need to pass the symptom screening checklist and a temperature check before boarding the vehicle. The parent/guardian will need to answer the symptom screening questions for the student. If the parent/guardian does not accompany the student to the vehicle, the driver should ask the student the symptom screening checklist questions. The driver should use their best judgment if the child can respond on their own. If the student cannot respond on their own, the driver will perform a temperature check only and notify school staff upon arrival at school.
- Bus routes/stops info will be sent to parents from Transportation on Wed Oct 21.
- Training on student boarding procedures, along with bus safety training, is required for ALL students during the first week of school. This is a State of North Carolina requirement. Drills that include physically evacuating out of the rear emergency door are not proposed this year given the amount of close contact.
- Please make sure to check what cohort your child is on for the rotation schedule. Cohort A=1, B=2, C=3
- If you have not picked up your child's materials for Quarter 2 please call the school at 919-460-3481 to schedule a time to pick them up.
Visitors: will not be allowed in the building. If you come to school to pick up your child ring the doorbell (or follow the instructions we have verbally given you over the phone if your child is sick) and we will come to the door to speak with you.
Second Semester Virtual Academy Sign Up
The registration windows for the WCPSS Virtual Academy for the spring semester of the 2020-21 school year have been set. The window for middle and high school registration will be Oct. 21-28. The window for elementary schools will be Dec. 2-9.
All students in grades K-5 will be completing Dreambox online lessons each week. It is important that students complete these with NO help from adults as this is a program that adjusts to the child's learning level after the beginning lessons are completed. Teachers will be looking at the data from the lessons your child has completed to see if they need math support or enrichment.