MUSTANG PARENT ALERT
T. L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy
September 2022 Monthly Parent Newsletter
A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Hello Mustang Families!
Thank you all for a great August opening at Marsalis! We appreciate your support and are ready to provide high-quality STEAM instruction to all of our students. We are excited to host our annual grade level parent meetings this month so that you can learn even more about your child's teacher and what each grade level has in store for you and your child this year. The flyer with all dates and times is listed below.
WOODS' WORDS OF WISDOM
September is Attendance Awareness Month and our focus is to make sure that our Marsalis community learns about the effects attendance can have on academic performance and success. School attendance is essential to academic success and frequent absences, excused or unexcused, can add up to academic trouble.
Please help us ensure that our scholars have every opportunity to be successful by making sure they are at school everyday. In the event that your child has to be absent, please contact the teacher for missed assignments.
Also, as more students have returned to campus, please remind your child the importance of kindness, courtesy and personal space. Help them to remember to keep their hands and feet to themselves, as well as refrain from making unkind comments to their fellow classmates.
Your Assistant Principal,
Meet our counselor, Ms. Telisa Ingram. Visit her counseling website at
One of our STEAM Academy commitments is to the social and emotional learning of our students. Each morning our students participate in a "SEL MEET UP" with their homeroom teachers and fellow classmates. This daily activity is the building block for our classroom communities. Our SEL focus for September will continue to reinforce our August focus:
1) Demonstrating an awareness of one's emotions, thoughts, and values
2) Considering the well-being and safety of self and others when making decisions
EDUCATION GO GET IT! WEEK
We will observe "Education Go Get It! Week" during September 19-24, 2022. Our students in grades 3-5 will participate in required career exploration and college research projects this month. All students have received their project information sheets and one will posted in on my "Counselor's Corner" page on our website.
SEPTEMBER CALENDAR OF EVENTS - CLICK HERE!
MARSALIS ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Our school opens at 7:30 a.m. Only bus riders and PK3 students need to enter at the Scottsboro (bus lane) door. All other students must enter at the front entrance.
- School begins at 8:00 a.m. and a student is tardy at 8:15 a.m. Recording of tardies will begin this week and can affect your child's overall attendance.
- Students begin picking up breakfast from the cafeteria with their teachers at 7:45 a.m. and eat in their classrooms. Breakfast concludes at 8:15 a.m. All students who arrive after this time will miss the breakfast period.
- Dismissal begins at 3:15 p.m. If you would like to pick your child up early, they will need to be picked up prior to 2:45 p.m. Please understand that your child will be missing valuable instruction and parent conferences will be held for students who have frequent early releases.
- If your child is a bus rider or is being picked up by a daycare facility, please be sure to notify your child's teacher.
PARENT PICKUP PROCEDURES
- All persons picking up students will need to have photo ID ready to show. Our scholars will only be released to the persons listed on their enrollment history. If you need to update this information, please contact Mrs. Garcia, CRC, at 972-749-3512.
STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER(S)
- Check out our school website (www.dallasisd.org/marsalis) for our teachers' Google sites, beginning September 12. These sites will provide you with specific information and resources for your child's specific grade level. Click on our "Academics" tab and select "Grade Level Classes" to locate the teachers' pages.
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
Please share with your child(ren) the importance of bus safety. Students are to wear seatbelts, if applicable, obey the bus drivers' directives, keep their hands and belongings to themselves and most importantly, stay seated while on the bus. Parents, also remember to be at the appropriate bus pickup locations on time. Our bus drivers routes do not service Marsalis only and must stay on schedule.
Students are expected to be in the correct school uniform each day. Parents will be called to bring the appropriate clothing if students are out of dress code. Please be reminded that the only color for uniform bottoms is khaki.