Little Cypress Elementary
January 2023 Newsletter
A Note from the Principal
Little Cypress Elementary Families,
Happy New Year!
I love the start of the new year because it is a great time of reflection and goal setting.
It’s an opportunity to start new routines, set new goals, and take a good look at how our days turn into weeks and into the year.
At LCE we are blessed to have hours of time with your children, and we are working diligently to make sure those hours are used wisely and that each individual LCE student is ready for the future.
If I could make any recommendations to families about setting educational goals for our LCE students for 2023, I would suggest the following things:
- Make sure your child is at school on time and every day. Attendance during these early formative years matters greatly. We are building students’ foundation in reading and math facts, and time missed in these years has lasting impacts. See the graphic for an example of how the minutes add up.
- Stay in touch with your child’s teacher in order to monitor your child’s academic progress. We have family conferences being scheduled soon, so please use that opportunity to meet face-to-face with your child’s teacher.
- Make play time outside a priority for your child. Children learn by playing, and more time spent outdoors and off video games, phones, or tablets is a win.
- Read aloud to your child every day, or have them read aloud to you. Not only does this increase your child’s vocabulary, it models fluency, builds strong family relationships, and encourages a love for literacy. You can listen to audiobooks in the car, read picture books or novels before bedtime, read outside, and so much more. The graphic below shows some different ways you can increase the amount of exposure your child has to literature, and if you have any questions, please reach out for assistance.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help with any questions you may have about your child’s academic progress.
It is an honor to serve your family, and we look forward to a great start to 2023.
At your service,
2022-2023 Yearbooks ON SALE NOW!
If you have any questions, please contact Samantha Arrington at 409-886-4245 ext. 5215.
Breakfast and Lunch Information
All LCM STUDENTS ARE RETURNING TO PAID BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
Students may qualify for Free or Reduced priced meals. If you feel that you may qualify, please pick up an application at the front office of your school, in the cafeteria, or online at www.lcmcisd.org.
To add money to your child’s account
1. Log into your Skyward Family Access Account
2. Click on Food Service 3. Click on “Make a Payment.” This will take you to Revtrak.
4. Create a Revtrak account if you do not have one.
5. Follow the prompts to add money to your child’s account
**You may also send a check or cash to the cashier in the cafeteria before school**
Car Line Procedures
- LCE students should be dropped off between 6:50 - 7:10 a.m. The tardy bells rings at 7:15 a.m. and instruction begins.
- Only 2nd and 3rd grade students can be dropped off at the front of the school in the mornings. Everyone else will need to be dropped off in the back.
- Parents with both LCI and LCE students may drop their LCE student off in the LCI car line between 6:50 - 7:10 a.m. After 7:10, all LCE students are to be dropped off at the LCE campus.
- Once the back doors are closed, you will need to drive to the front of the school, park, and escort your child into the building.
- For safety reasons, please have your child ready to exit the vehicle on the passenger side.
- TURN RIGHT when exiting Meeks during drop off and pick up hours.
- For the safety of your child and others, please do not use your cell phone while in the car drop off and pick up lines.
- Please pull into the grassy area to buckle your child in.
- Students cannot be checked out through the front office after 2:30 p.m. as we are in our final transition for the day. We will ask you to join the pick up line at that point.
- SCHOOL ISSUED CAR RIDER TAG MUST BE VISIBLE IN ORDER TO PICK UP YOUR CHILD. THIS IS A SAFETY MEASURE.
Bus Rider Information
- Students must ride the bus to their assigned drop off location (home address/licensed day care).
- All bus transportation changes must go through the Transportation Department 409-670-4601. Changes must take place before 1:30 p.m.
- Without a note, the child will follow their established routine.
- In an emergency, a phone call will be accepted but will require the student's last four digits of their social security number.
- An adult must be present at the bus stop for all PK, Kindergarten, and 1st grade students to be dropped off.
The district prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the principal’s judgment may reasonably be expected to cause disruption or interference with normal school operations.
- Shorts and skirts should be at least mid-thigh length and be hemmed.
- Shirts should cover the midriff and have at least two (2) inch shoulder strap or sleeves. No muscle shirts or spaghetti straps.
- Pants must fit at the waist or be belted. Baggy pants and jeans with holes above the knee will not be allowed. Holes above the knee with backing are allowed as long as the backing is intact.
- All students are required to have shoes that are safe for participation in all physical education activities. Backless shoes, high-heeled shoes of any type, and flip-flops are prohibited. This is a safety issue and is in the best interest of the student. All rubber soled, laced up, closed back shoes (tennis shoes or any athletic type shoe) will be acceptable. Crocs are not allowed in PE.
Little Cypress Elementary Contacts
Orange, Texas 77632
Amber Hawk, Principal
Sommer Reynolds, Assistant Principal
Corrie Zepeda, Counselor
Misty Coleman, Nurse
Sarah St. John, Campus Curriculum Coordinator
Tessa Humble, Campus Special Programs Coordinator
Lisa Fisher, Secretary
Tammi Halliburton, Librarian
Bianca Sanchez, Registrar and Attendance Clerk
Jaclynn Wallace, Receptionist