Riverglen Junior High AVID 2016
Quarter 2 Newsletter
Mark Your Calendar!
February 2: Elementary School Counselor Transition Meeting
February 8: Elementary School Recruitment Visits: Mountain View, Others TBA
February 11: Riverglen Open House for Incoming 7th graders (7-8 PM)
February 29: All AVID Applications for Fall 2016 due to Riverglen
March 4: Elementary School AVID Interviews
March 7-18: Mail letters of acceptance/regret. Appeal process available for denied students.
AVID Students Shine
Spotlight: AVID 7
Quarter 2 Highlights:
- 3.3 overall class GPA
- Boise State University Engineering Tour: riding a Segway, experimenting with 3-D video, 3-D printing, thermal heat photography/video, energy, and a whole lot more!
- Jump Time fun and team-building
- Meeting K-9 officer Deputy Chase and his dog Leader
- Entering the Elk's Lodge Patriotism Essay contest
- Participating in the Shadow Hills Mentoring program
- Surviving our first ever junior high finals week
- Adding six new students to AVID at semester!
- Loving being grizzlies!
Spotlight: AVID 8
AVID students continued to work on academic excellence. Two of our students, Jose Duran and Sanaa Abdukarim, were honored as Riverglen Students of the Month. These two students along with Jake Wills, Peyton Govia, Diana Ayala, Denise Martinez, Kassidy Page, Madilyn Waynetska, Braden Johnson, and Davis Christianson also were recognized as AVID honor roll students for achieving a G.P.A. of 3.5 or better.
Another big improvement came with the student's focused note taking. Every week the students shared their notes with our wonderful parent volunteer, Paula Johnson, who evaluated and helped students to improve their note taking skills over the quarter.
We look forward to the new semester. We will be welcoming a few new students to our AVID 8 classes. Our focus will shift to making a 4 year academic plan, improving our questioning skills in tutorial, learning more about college and going on the district wide AVID ski trip to Bogus Basin!