The House of Hades
So full of mind-blowing action, you'll never stop reading; you will read it over and over again. Open At Your Own Risk.
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to Tartarus. The other five demigods should put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive Tartarus and escape through the Doors of Death; then the seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. If Gaea rises then all of the demigods lives will be at stake. Even with the help of the gods, they will be outnumbered and will lose the war. There will be a war between the Greeks and the Romans if the demigods don't get the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half Blood.
Hazel- Hazel is the daughter of Hades, the god of death, and Marie Levesque, a fortune teller. Nico brings her back from the Underworld, to the world of living. She can raise riches from the ground but anyone who used them would suffer and die. Hazel is 13, a year younger than her half-brother, Nico. Her boyfriend is Frank, the son of Ares and the praetor of Camp Jupiter. She is trying to get to the Doors of Death to save Percy and Annabeth, her friends, from Tartarus. She also wants to cut the chains that are holding down the Doors of Death. By doing this, Hazel will move the doors to where Gaea, the goddess of the Earth, can’t use them. This will prevent any monsters to get into the mortal world.
Annabeth- She started going to Camp Half- Blood, a camp for Greek demigods, when she was seven years old. Annabeth is the daughter of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom. She has gray eyes and blond hair. She is always loyal to her friends and never gives up on them; even in the worst situations.
Leo- Leo is the son of Hephaestus, the god of fire, crafts, and blacksmiths. Leo’s best friend is Jason, the son of Zeus. Leo is immune to fire and can produce fire. He and the rest of the demigods try to help Percy and Annabeth get out of Tartarus.
Frank- Frank is the son of Ares, the Greek god of war, and is able to change into different animals. He is Hazel’s boyfriend. Later he will become the praetor of Camp Jupiter.
Percy- He is a teenager that goes to Camp Half Blood, a camp for Greek demigods. Percy has a pen that turns in to a sword; Riptide. He is the son of Poseidon, the god of the water. He and Annabeth, his girlfriend, fell into Tartarus, a place where monsters go to respawn.
Jason- He was born on July 1st and is the son of Jupiter, the Roman aspect of Zeus, and a mortal actress with the last name of Grace. He was born seven years after Zeus fathered Thalia in his Greek aspect.
Nico- Nico di Angelo was born sometime in the early 1930's in Venice, Italy before Hades and his brothers took an oath to have no more children. Since Nico was born in Italy and his mother was Italian, he can speak fluent Italian. He had an older sister named Bianca di Angelo. Around the age of six, Nico visited Diocletian's Palace in Split, Croatia.
Tartarus- as Annabeth and Percy topple into Tartarus, they see a Cyclops, a giant with one eye. They also see a drakon, a dragon with no wings. During their fall, the air grows a lot hotter. The darkness of the place was a red gray color. It was a cavern the size of Manhattan. There were fiery chasms, a series of cliffs, and a strange odor of sulfur. There was a black river that could wipe all your memory away. The water in the rivers was very murky and unclear and the solid ground consisted mainly of broken glass materials. There are jagged mountains and red clouds that looked as if they were made of evaporated blood.
Argo 2- The ship is a magical trireme with one sail and a few banks of oars. Its 200 feet long (61 meters) with a bronze hull, and a flaming dragon head at the top of the mast. The mast head is Festus head reused. The ships main weapons are two repeating crossbows that could fire explosive bolts powerful enough to blast through concrete. It has oars that can change into spears if needed and the mast head is able to breathe fire. It is unknown exactly how the ship is able to fly, but it is able to stop in mid-air and has a landing gear system so it can dock on dry land as well as on the sea. The demigods use this ship to travel to the House of Hades.
1. Percy and Annabeth are falling into Tartarus.
2. The demigod crew of Argo II, friends of Annabeth and Percy, is trying to cross the Apennine Mountains but keep retreating because of the evil mountain gods raised by Gaea.
3. Hazel finds her horse, Arion, who takes her to Hecate, the goddess of the Mist, and finds clues of how to find a way to avoid the mountain gods, raised by Gaea, and get to the Doors of Death.
4. Percy and Annabeth fell in to the Phlegethon, a river made of pure misery.
5. The ship passed the mountains and came to Bologna where they encountered some dwarfs. The dwarfs stole all of their stuff. Leo and Jason chased the dwarfs, attacked them, and retrieved their stuff along with a book that belonged to a minor god in Venice.
6. Bob, Percy's titan friend, kills the empousai and the arai and helps them get to the Doors of Death.
7. Frank, Hazel, and Nico return Triptolemus' almanac and fix his chariot, and in return, he tells them how to get through the lower levels of the House of Hades- by drinking poison and to survive- they must eat barley before they enter the House of Hades.
8. Sciron attacks the Argo II with his giant turtle and tells them to bring their valuables to the top of the hill. Hazel uses the mist to make Sciron see what he wants to see, and Jason, out of nowhere, comes and blasts Sciron off the cliff.
9. Nico and Jason split with the other demigods and went to Diocletian’s palace to get the scepter.
10. Damesan heals Percy and gives Annabeth a sword to help her to get to the Doors of Death.
11. Khione, the ice goddess, sends Leo to a faraway land and freezes everyone below deck. Piper was not frozen and defeats Khione.
12. Percy and Annabeth go to Alkyls to have the death mist; mist that makes you invisible to monsters, but Alkyls betrays them and tries to kill them. To destroy her, Percy says words that are the opposite of misery, like happy or joy.
13. Leo landed in an island called Ogygia and met a girl who Percy abandoned named Calypso, the daughter of the titan, Atlas.
14. The magical raft that Calypso summoned, came to Ogygia and took Leo back to Argo II.
15. Tartarus, in human form, tries to stop Percy and Annabeth from arriving at the Doors of Death.
16. The crew of Argo II found the House of Hades and battled a big army there.
17. Bob, his cat, and Damesan help Percy and Annabeth escape from Tartarus.
18. Leo and Hazel get separated from the rest of the crew, but their friends found them and they conquered Clytius and Pasiphae.
19. They all escaped before the House of Hades collapsed.
Annabeth and Percy were still falling into Tartarus. Annabeth then sees the bottom and a river flowing below, so she tells Percy to try and control the water from it to survive. They succeed in cushioning their fall, but they fell in to Cocytus, the River of Lamentation. The pair feels all of the sorrow and misery of bitter souls. The spirits from the river urge them to succumb, but Percy recovers his wits and fights off the the spirits and gets to the shore. Annabeth remembers that the River of Fire in Tartarus has healing properties. They find the river, and drink from it, temporarily healing them. Percy and Annabeth have to get to the Doors of Death so they can get back to the mortal world and stop all the monsters from going into the mortal world. Unfortunately, Tartarus gets into his new human form and tries to stop Percy and Annabeth from doing this. When Tartarus was about to attack, Damesan, the son of Tartarus and Gaea appears. Damesan is allied with Percy and fights off his evil father and with the help of Bob, they defeated him. Percy and Annabeth then get to the Doors of Death and help their crew fight off the army of Gaea.
The five remaining demigods try to get to the House of Hades; on the Argo II. On the way, they get a note, from Sciron that says “Meet me at the top of the cliff in one hour, and bring all of your belongings.” Hazel decides to go because one of the powers she has from being a daughter of Pluto, is she can summon riches from the earth, and possibly curse people who touch them. Jason decided to go because one of his powers that he got from his father, Jupiter, is that he can fly and make tornadoes. Also, it’s a very steep cliff, and he can catch Hazel if she falls. Sciron asks where their riches are, and that’s when Hazel summons every last bit of metal for the next 500 miles down! Then Sciron inquired about the Athena Parthenos, the only thing that can stop the war between the Greeks and Romans. Hazel figures out a way to defeat him by using the mist. They fight many other monsters on their way to the House of Hades. In the House of Hades the group fights an army of monsters to get to the mortal side of the Doors of Death. Later, Hazel and Leo fight Paciphae and Clytius. They defeat them and find Percy and Annabeth.
Point of View
Each chapter is written in a third person point of view. Also, there are no chapter names. The “names” of the chapter are actually a person’s name and the chapters are based on that person. I like this way better because it gives every character a chance to shine.
Friendship is the most treasured thing in ones life. One should never give up on friends and by working together, friends can accomplish anything. Always have trust in yourself and your friends.
The friends on Argo II knew Percy and Annabeth were still alive and worked together and trusted each others' abilities when put in the face of danger to save them.
When Hazel was fighting Paciphae, she trusted her abilities, her friends believed in her, so she was able to defeat Paciphae.
The only reason Percy and Annabeth were able to get out of Tartarus alive is because they had each other for support.
Theme Applied to my Life
This book has helped me realize the importance of friendship. It also helped me see that if you believe you'll succeed in anything that is thrown at you.
If my friends are in need, I will help them, I’ll steer them in the right direction. If my friends are feeling down, I will cheer them up. If my friends are happy, I will celebrate their happiness. I will never give up on my friends and I will always be happy that they truly are my friend. It helps me face tough times in my life if I never give up and trust my friends. I will cherish my friends for the rest of my life.