Viking Family Digest
August 29th, 2023
What a first full week of the school year!
I want to thank all of our families for their flexibility last week with heat! Our amazing staff was able to move into classrooms as needed to keep our Vikings cool! Cancelling activities and sports is never an easy decision, but thank you for understanding the need to do so.
This week we will have our first PBIS Kick Off Assemblies on Friday! We are looking forward to setting some expectations while having some FUN!!
- 08/30: Parent Night
- 08/31: Fall Picture Day: RBMS is sponsoring a PRE-PAY picture program. Payments may be done online or by phone. Please click on the flyer for more information.
- 08/31: Bus Evacuation/Severe Weather Drill
- 09/01: Fire Drill
- 09/04: Labor Day - No School
- 09/11 - 09/22: Fall 2023 FastBridge Assessments
- 09/13: PTO Meeting
- 09/20: Early Release @ 1pm
- 09/27: Secure and Teach Drill
- 09/29: End Term One
- 10/05: Fall Picture Day Retakes
- 10/09: Columbus Day - No School
- 10/11: PTO Meeting
- 10/18: Early Release - 1pm
We understand that mornings can be hectic and we run late from time to time and that students do get sick. However, daily tardies and frequent absences impact our students in many ways. They can cause students to begin their day feeling rushed and anxious, they miss instructional time, and they often fall behind with their class work. Take a look at how tardies and absences can add up! More to come on strategies for smooth school mornings and regular attendance in school.
PBIS Universal: Bus Expectations
Our bus drivers have one of the most important, yet difficult jobs. Their purpose is to get our students to and from school safely. At times, student behavior impacts their ability to do this. As part of our beginning of the year PBIS expectations being taught in all areas, the bus expectations are included. Your student is learning the bus expectations all week. Please talk with your student about the importance of creating a safe bus environment by being respectful, responsible and safe both to and from school.
School Safety Drills
The health and safety of our students and staff are our top priority. Under the Illinois School Safety Drill Act, all public schools are required to conduct a variety of safety drills annually. Drills practiced include fire (3), evacuation (1), shelter-in-place (1), and law enforcement (lockdown) (3).
See below for our fall drill schedule:
- Bus Evacuation: August 31, 2023
- Severe Weather Drill: August 31, 2023
- Fire Drills: September 1st, 2022
- Secure and Teach: September 27th, 2022
Preparing for various scenarios in advance helps empower staff and students in the case of a real emergency. While the chance of an incident happening is unlikely, we care about the well-being of our students and staff and are required by law to educate our school community to ensure emergency preparedness for all.
As we launch the 2023-24 school year, we’d like to remind families that teachers, staff and principals prioritize teaching and learning and engaging with students during the school day. They are not expected to monitor their email while school is in session. Please allow 24-48 hours for an email response. If your concern is urgent, please contact the school’s main office.
YOUR feedback is very important to us. The way we grow and learn is through positive feedback. If you have been in the building, or have any general feedback, for us please use the QR code or this link. We appreciate you being a part of our team to improve our practice, ensuring student success.
Golf Club is starting up in September. Please completed the Golf Club Permission Slip. There is a cost of $5.00 per session. Students will ride the school bus to Turnberry Golf Club 9600 Turnberry Trail, Village of Lakewood at 2:15pm. Students will need to coordinate rides home promptly at 3:30pm. Please contact Mr. Krol.
Digital Tickets for D155 Athletic Events
Incoming 6th Graders for 23-24 - Medical Checklist
- State of Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination dated on or after August 16, 2022.
- May be submitted to the Bernotas Middle School office on or after August 3, 2023 or email anytime to email@example.com. MUST be completed and received PRIOR to the first day of school.
- Certificate of Religious Exemption Form available upon request.
- Proof of School Dental Examination Form dated on or after May 15, 2024.
- Asthma Action Plan | Illinois Department of Public Health- to be completed by physician
- Medication Authorization Form - d47.org- to be completed by physician
- Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan- Template- Make a Copy- to be completed by physician
- Prescription medications to be given during the school day- Medication Authorization Form - d47.org to be completed by physician
Community Resources available upon request
Dana Slimko BSN, RN contact information
Phone: 815-788-5623 and Fax: 815-479-5116
Does your student stay after school for sports or clubs? We offer activity buses. Activity buses run on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. All activity buses leave Bernotas Middle School at 4:15 pm from the front of the building and all drop off times are approximate. Activity Bus Schedules.
Car Pick Ups: If you are picking up your student from a sport or club at 4 pm please be aware of the elementary buses that are loading. If the STOP sign is out and the lights are flashing, do not pass the bus.
- The Bernotas PTO meets on select Wednesday evenings at 6:00 p.m. in the Bernotas Middle School Library. All parents are welcome and encouraged to attend! The 2023-2024 meeting dates are:
- September 13th (Fall Fundraiser)
- October 11th (Conference Dinner Planning)
- March 13th (8th Grade Dance Kick-off Meeting)
- April 10th
- May 8th (Elections/Budget Approval)
If you are interested in joining a committee, or have a question about the PTO, please contact Sarah Kovarik at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8th Grade Dance: Chair Needed
No Fuss Fundraiser
The No Fuss Fundraiser helps raise money without asking students to sell door-to-door, deliver goods, or inconvenience family & friends. Please support our PTO with your donation & help us achieve our goals to provide for Bernotas this school year! To make a ‘no fuss’ donation, please consider using Venmo @BernotasPTO_10 or PayPal email@example.com. Cash/Check (payable to ‘Bernotas PTO’) donations are also gladly accepted. Students will receive a fundraiser flyer with more information. Contact the PTO if you have questions or would like a 501(c)3 tax deduction letter. Donations are due Thursday, September 7th.
For any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org