Japanese 1 - Lesson 7
Week of 3/9 - 3/13
Welcome to Week 8! Midterm Exam Next Week!
おめでとうございますみんなさん！Congratulations Everyone!! We have officially made it to week 8!!
We are coming up close on the halfway point in the course and the end of the first 9 weeks. You will take your mid-term exam before the end of next week. Now is a great time to go back and review your prior grammar, vocabulary and hiragana from lessons 1-6 and start work on lesson 7. Make reviewing your prior lessons a priority this week and next week. It will help your score on your mid-term.
Please see the section below titled Boutin Sensei's Tips for Success for suggestions on how to improve your grade or keep up your good work!
Missing Assignments? Submit Them This Week!!
Your 9 week grades are due to be submitted very soon. Any assignments that are not submitted or marked with a 0 will be counted against your grade.
0s really hurt your grade and it is better to do your best on an assignment and ask questions if needed on an assignment instead of not making any submission at all. Call, text, email or IM me with any questions on your assignments. My contact info is listed below.
You can ask your coach questions too or use the FREE NCVPS Peer Tutoring Center for help.
I cannot stress enough the importance of checking your grades regularly. You can check your grade any time by clicking the My Grades menu option in blackboard on your left hand navigational toolbar.
NCVPS offers a FREE peer tutoring center for all students of Japanese 1 to receive some extra help or practice with the course material. Click the button above to access it and log in with your NCVPS ID and password.
What's Due This Week?
The assignments listed below are deliverable items to be submitted by the end of the day they are due.
Tuesday: Lesson 7 Writing Assignment
Wednesday: Lesson 7 Cultural Discussion
Thursday: Lesson 7 Speaking Assignment
Friday: Lesson 7 Quiz
Remember to attend BOTH of your scheduled language coaching sessions this week. If you need to make up any missed coaching sessions please do so this week. You can make up a missed coaching session any time Japanese 1 coaching is offered.
M3.L7. Lesson 7: The different parts of the home: うち の いろいろな ぶぶん
This week we will learn about different parts of the home and how to express where things are located.
The verbs あります and います describe the existence of objects. あります is used for inanimate objects and います is used for animate (living) things, like people or pets.
The particle に is often placed in front of verbs あります or いますto indicate existence of something or someone in a certain place. So if we wanted to express that the oven is in the kitchen we can say:
こんろ は だいどころ に あります。
Literally we're saying "The stove is in the kitchen."
We can use this sentence structure with the verb います to describe that a living thing is in a certain location:
ねこ は だいどころ に います。
The cat is in the kitchen.
You can use this for a specific person too:
おばあさん は だいどころ に います。
Grandma is in the kitchen.
Click the button above to access the due date calendar. This lists all assignments and what you should be working on each week in the course. You can access March's calendar by clicking the Mar15 tab on the bottom.
Boutin Sensei's Tips for Success
Looking to improve your grade in Japanese 1, or keep your grade high? Here are some tips for success in Japanese 1:
- Log in and read your announcements daily. Announcements are posted daily with important information on which assignments are due each day and supplemental instructional material to help you with your assignments. Log in every day during the school week and read your announcements
- Attend at least 2 language coaching sessions each week. Language coaching attendance and active participation accounts for 20% of your grade. You are required to attend at least 2 language coaching sessions each week. If you miss a session, you are expected to make it up. You can make up missed sessions any time Japanese 1 coaching is offered with any coach. The schedule is posted under the My Coach tab in Blackboard.
- Submit assignments on their due date. Assignments should be submitted on the day they are due. I recommend printing out a copy of the Due Date Calendar and posting it somewhere you see it each day.
- Spend at least 90 minutes each day during the school week on Japanese. NCVPS expects that students will spend an average of 90 minutes each day doing something related to the class. Invest the time you need to invest into the course by attending coaching, studying grammar, vocabulary and hiragana and completing your assigned work.
- Submit any missing assignments. If you have not submitted any assignments from the Introductory course module or lessons 1 - 5, please go back and submit them this week for a grade. 0s really hurt your grade!
- Ask questions if you do not understand something or need help. I am available to answer your questions! See the contact info below for ways to reach out to me if you need help. Your coach can also help explain your lesson material or clarify things related to assignments. The Peer Tutoring Center is also a great FREE resource for any student seeking extra help or extra practice with Japanese.
Contact Boutin Sensei
Office Hours: 6:30 - 8:30PM Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Contact me this week if you need help with anything!
I can be reached through any of the contacts below. During the school week I respond to all messages within 24 hours, often much sooner.
Language Coaching Ninjas!
すごい！ Kudos all around to my language coaching ninjas who attended at least 2 language coaching sessions last week!
India K., Nelson C., Celeste B., Jake G., Michael B., Christine W., Lily S., Nathan P., Andrew A., Miranda G.
We added a few names this week, but sadly we had a few names drop off the list from last week, Let's keep this list going and add more names this week. がんばってください！