Carver County 4-H
- December 23-26 - Extension Office is closed for the Christmas Holiday
- December 30-January 2 - Extension Office is closed for New Year Holiday
- January 6-Llama Project Bowl Practice, 7PM, Carver Co Public Works Building
- January 7 - PV Club's Crafting and Scrapbooking Extravaganza
- Jan 8 - Horse Bowl Practice 3-5 PM, Carver County Public Works Building
- Jan 9 State-wide Livestock PDC webinar, 7:00 p.m. Zoom
- Jan 10 Horse PDC mtg, 7:00 p.m., Zoom
- Jan 11 Livestock PDC mtg, 7:00 p.m., Carver Co Public Works Building/ Zoom
- Jan 19 SSWL Guns and Grub Kick Off Party, 6:00 p.m., Carver County Public Works Building
- January 23-Federation Hybrid Mtg, 7:00 p.m., Public Works Building/ Zoom
- January 29 - Sew Sew Club, 2-4:00 p.m., Carver Co Public Works Building
- February 3 - Quad County Lock-In, Chaska Community Center
- February 2-23 - Virtual Cake Decorating Series 6-7:30 p.m.
- February 15 - Animal ID Deadline for Market Beef (beef steers, market heifers and dairy steers). More information coming soon.
- February 21 - Dog Project Information Night, 7:00 p.m., Carver County Public Works Building
Welcome to the new 4-H Educator for Carver County!!!
Devarati will start January 9!
New 4-H Re-Enrollment Incentive
Attention: Families not active in 4HOnline after January 1 will be removed from the Friday Facts emails and communications.
Horse Project Bowl Information
WHEN: Sunday, January 8, 3-5 p.m.
WHERE: Extension Office
If you missed the info meeting on Dec 2nd, come to the first practice to learn what horse bowl is all about!
Carver County Shooting Sports and Wildlife Project Kick-Off
Interested in learning more? Come to the Guns and Grub kick off party on January 19, 2023, 6 PM at the Carver County Public Works Building (Extension Office). Let us know you are coming so we can plan food! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0B45AFAA22A6FD0-guns
Stay up to date with SSWL at https://z.umn.edu/CCSSWL
2023 SS& WL Leader (Instructor) Certification Trainings - Carver County needs instructors! Carver County 4-H SSWL Program pays 100 % of the reg. fees for instructor trainings.
Carver County Sew-Sew Club
In these Learn-to-Sew sessions we will complete a useful project that will progressively enhance your sewing skills each month! We will start with the basics in October, then build on basics each month. If you missed the Oct, Nov and Dec sessions, contact Chellie firstname.lastname@example.org for information on joining!
January 29, February 19 and March 12, 2023 registration is now open.
COMING SOON - Cake Decorating Series
Interested in learning decorating techniques on cakes, cookies and cake pops, to wow your friends, families, club members, and strangers? Join us Thursdays starting Feb 2 through February 23 from 6-7:30 p.m. to learn from guest educators and volunteers in teaching 4-H’ers the basics of making frosting, making cake pops, decorating cake pops, designing stars & rosettes and easy cookie decorating. You can easily practice your frosting skills on a paper plate or topper at home! This fun hands-on series is for youth in grades K-13; youth in grades K-3 will need a parent/guardian for support. All participants need to be enrolled in 4hOnline to participate.
Cost: $15 per household
Location: Virtual Series
Registration will open soon in 4Honline.
4-H Judges Training
Statewide 4-H Photography Contest
Minnesota 4-H Photography is excited to offer another statewide photography challenge open to youth in grades K-13.!
Select your best winter wonderland photo (with no or minimal editing) from the 2022-2023 4-H year and submit it with up to two (2) sentences that explain the photo! More information and rules for the challenge can be found at: Minnesota 4-H Snowscapes Photo Challenge | UMN Extension with rules available here.
Submit one (1) jpg or jpeg image and up to two (2) sentences that explain the photo to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on January 31, 2023. Volunteer 4-H photography judges will provide feedback via a slideshow. Top photos will be recognized with a prize and random prize drawing winners will also receive a gift.
Register at: https://z.umn.edu/Snowscapes-Photo-Challenge
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interactive leadership opportunity to create a vision for your community’s future!
We are seeking YOUR input to make plans for the future! What do you, as a community youth member, need from the community where you live now and as you move into adulthood? What changes would you like to see to ensure you can grow and thrive in a strong community?
4-H is recruiting youth leaders who are interested in joining a team of other youth to offer advice and feedback to influence the future of their local communities. You would help design a vision for the Twin Cities region around the following topics: wastewater, transportation, housing, open spaces and parks, and more. Young people will work with career professionals and have opportunities to meet policy makers to share their ideas.
What will YOU get from the project?
- Fun activities, a chance to dream about the future, and a way to connect to policy makers.
- A central voice in shaping the guiding values of regional policy affecting housing, transportation, parks, and water.
- A chance to build engagement and leadership skills in the real world.
- A chance to talk to people in your community and make sure your ideas are heard.
- A chance to build networks with policy makers and early career mentors.
- This is a paid experience: you will receive a stipend of $750 for participation.
Participants should be in 9th-12th grade or one year past high school. The experience will run January through July, 2023. Meetings will be held at easily accessible locations to reach you close to where you live.
To apply to be a 4-H representative: Please fill out this application by Friday, January 13, 2023. We would like to invite you to an in-person planning meeting sometime during the weeks of January 15 or 22… dates will be determined based on your availability.
This will be a competitive search; we can accept up to 10 youth leaders.
Please email Amber email@example.com with questions or thoughts!
Youth Education Opportunities
4-H Animal Discovery: Dog and poultry -an exploratory learning series highlighting two animal species: dog and poultry.Choose your 4-H Outdoor Adventure Speaker Series Program - Monthly speakers
4-H Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) - is a hands-on environmental education program dedicated to teaching wildlife and fisheries habitat management to youth. It provides participants in grades 3-13 an opportunity to test their wildlife knowledge in a friendly competition in teams of 3-4 of similarly aged individuals. The winning senior WHEP team (14-19 years old) will attend the annual National WHEP Contest, typically held the last full week of July.
Careers Down on the Farm - Youth in grades K-3 are invited to join us in exploring the wonderful world of agricultural careers through hands-on activities and guest speakers. We’ll learn about being an auctioneer, implement mechanic, and much more from real Minnesota ag professionals!
Virtual plant science trivia nights - Are you interested in learning more about plant science? We are excited to be offering a 4-H Project Bowl option in this project area for 2023.
Citizen Washington Focus - Every summer teens from across the country gather at the National 4-H Conference Center, near Washington, D.C., to learn what it means to be a strong leader in their community, country and world.
4-H horseless horse round up - Interested in learning more about horses? 4-H is excited to offer an online series for all horse enthusiasts to learn more about horses.
MN 4-H Horse Winter Round Up - Winter Round Up is an exciting three-day, two-night conference of adult and youth leadership and 4-H Horse Project learning. It's for youth in sixth grade or older who are interested in horses.
4-H Youth Leadership Event Opportunities
TEEL Teens Engaged in Emerging Leadership (TEEL) is a workshop for youth in grades 10+ to gain valuable leadership skills while connecting with peers from other counties and regions. This workshop builds on the leadership skills older youth have developed at BLU and through their lived experience both within and outside of 4-H. Teens will engage in large and small group discussions. It is designed and facilitated by a team of older youth and young adult leaders.
Below are the dates/locations for BLU and TEEL.
- Feb. 4-5: Northwest - Castaway Club, Detroit Lakes
- Feb. 11-12: Northeast - Long Lake Conservation Center, Palisade
- Feb. 11: Central - Base Camp, St. Paul
- Feb. 18: Southwest - Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU), Marshall
- Feb. 25-26: Southeast - Camp Victory, Zumbro Falls
YELLO Youth Exploring Leadership and Learning Opportunities (YELLO) is a 4-H leadership conference for youth in grade 7+ that prepares youth to learn and lead in their communities. YELLO is planned and facilitated by the Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors. The conference will be held June 13-16 at Bemidji State University.
4-H Volunteer Corner
2023 SS&W Leader Certification Trainings - January 7 - Wadena, MN (Rifle/Pistol and Archery) Deadline December 28
February 11 - Redwood Falls, MN (Rifle/Pistol, Archery, Wildlife, ATV) Deadline February 1
Livestock state wide PDC Webinar - January 9, 7-8 p.m.
Project Bowl coaches training - Tuesday, January 10, 7-8:30 p.m. Get prepared to work with bowl teams!