Trailridge Family Newsletter
Follow us on Facebook: Trailridge Middle School SMSD
Follow us on Twitter @Wildcats512
November 19, 2022
Upcoming Important Dates
Trailridge Calendar Dates:
- November 21-25: Thanksgiving Break
- November 29: 7th grade Field Trip
- November 30: GBB vs IW @ Trailridge
- November 30: SMNW Area Orchestra Festival
- December 1: Deadline to Enroll in Spelling Bee
- December 5: GBB vs WR @ WR
- December 7: GBB vs IW @ TR
- December 8: TR Choir Concert
Note from Admin Team
This week was a great week at Trailridge. If you have not already done so, I highly encourage you to follow us on Facebook. That is a great place to get reminders, updates and celebrations in a timely manner.
This week some of our student leaders participated in a Sources of Strength leadership training. Sources of Strength empowers our students to be advocates for their peers and to stand up for what is right. The training was awesome and our students seemed to really enjoy it.
If your student is in 7th grade, please remember to turn in their field trip form. That field trip is on the Tuesday after we return from break. See below for more information.
Lastly, it is hard to believe we are already in late November. The year has flown by. As I reflect on the things that have happened this semester, I am so thankful for Trailridge. We have an awesome school and a truly special community. I hope you are able to enjoy this week with family and all of the things you are thankful for.
Have a great week!
Matt, Jake and Ericka
Trailridge Middle School Administration
Sources of Strength Student Leaders
7th Grade Field Trip!
Dear 7th Grade Families,
Last week, your student received a brightly colored (hot pink or orange) permission slip for our upcoming field trip to see A Christmas Carol at the Spencer Theater (KCRep) on Tuesday, November 29th. We are so grateful to Trailridge PTA and Shawnee Mission Education Foundation for grants to help offset the cost of the trip and bring the cost down to $15 a student. Please review the permission slip and return it as soon as possible. All forms should be returned by next Thursday at the latest.
A few things to note:
* We are committed to all 7th graders sharing this experience. If the cost of the trip is a barrier for your family, please reach out to your child’s teacher or our student services team. If your family would like to sponsor an additional student, please note that on the back of the field trip form and include your donation with your student’s payment.
* Our field trip will extend beyond the normal lunch period, so we’ll have an alternate lunch that day. Students should plan to bring a lunch from home or purchase a lunch from the cafeteria. To allow our cafeteria staff to prepare, we need to have an accurate count. Please make sure you indicate your student’s preference on the back of the permission slip so we can have an accurate count. Additional lunches will NOT be available the day of the field trip.
* Permission slips should be returned to your child’s English teacher. If you have questions, please contact Ms. VanDyke, Mr. Delehanty, or Mrs. Mayfield.
We can’t wait to provide each 7th grader with an opportunity to extend classroom learning and to experience live theater. Thank you for your support.
Join our Trailridge Team!
Trailridge Student Service Team
Happy Thanksgiving Wildcat Families,
We hope that you are able to enjoy this great holiday with much deserved peace and rest. Just a reminder this may be a fun time to review New Ways November with your family and friends to make this a special time.
Always feel free to email or call any of us with any questions or individual concerns with your students. We are here to help!
Student Service Team,
Students Attending Games and Pep Club
Students supporting their fellow classmates is one of the highlights of athletics. We are excited to have our students back supporting their peers as members of the Pep Club. If students want to attend a home game they can join their fellow students in the Pep Club. If your student would like to join their fellow students in the Pep Club then they will need to do the following:
- Go to the MPR after school and sign in with the Pep Club Sponsors.
- Listen to the expectations of the Pep Club Sponsors.
- Sit in a designated area in the Main Gym.
- Only leave the bleachers when directed from the Pep Club Sponsors.
- Sign out with the Pep Club Sponsors when they decide to leave.
If students would like to come to home games with their parents/guardians then they will need to stay with them for the entirety of the game. Both elementary and high school students will also need to be accompanied by an adult in order to attend games. Students who do not attend Pep Club will not be able to sit with our Pep Club students. Any students who come to the game without their parents will be asked to leave.
Please remember that if your student would like to attend away games they will need to be accompanied by an adult at all times. If you have any questions please contact the Athletic Director Jake Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRAILRIDGE DANCE CLUB is happening again this year!
- TDC will meet Wednesday and Friday Mornings 8:00-8:35 AM. Please enter through the AUX gym doors.
- You will learn sidelines, technique, and routines
- Perform at Trailridge basketball games and events and even at some SMNW games!
- Work with and learn from the SMNW Dance Team coaches and dancers!!
- No prior dance experience is needed!
- Fill out this google form to receive more information! https://forms.gle/JrLHrYupdoRAeKRm6
Physicals for 2022-2023 Season
Physical paperwork for the 2022 - 2023 season can be completed and submitted now. The date of the physical must be after May 1st, 2022. Please turn in the physical paperwork to the front office. Your student cannot practice or participate until that Physical paperwork is completed, submitted and processed. Physicals take about 24 hours to process. Please complete the physical packet linked here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tBmHVQwXr64ft7up8gxkyLIkcygnBPyn/view?usp=sharing
Both students and parents need Online Verification forms on Skyward filled out before they are allowed to participate as well. If you have questions on how to complete those forms, please contact the office at 913-993-1000.
Student Athlete Handbook
Attached is the Trailridge Student Athlete Handbook. This handbook reviews policies and procedures for being an athlete at Trailridge. Please review this handbook at your convenience.
Athletic Director: Jake Bauer, email@example.com
Volleyball: Cara Hillman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wrestling: Justin Andrews, email@example.com
Girls’ Basketball: Elissa Ojeda, firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys’ Basketball: Brandon Hoch, email@example.com
Athletic Trainer: Josh Hardy, firstname.lastname@example.org
After school clubs have started at Trailridge! Please visit our website to view what clubs we have to offer at Trailridge. If any student would like to start a club then they can talk with a teacher to sponsor the club. https://trailridge.smsd.org/activities-athletics/after-school-clubs
Information from Nurse Denny
Respiratory Viruses are spreading in the community of Johnson County. The Health Department website is sharing information about RSV, Influenza and Covid spread. Direction from Johnson County Health Department website: https://www.jocogov.org/covid-19
If you test positive for COVID-19, stay home and isolate for 5 days from when your symptoms began. If your symptoms have gotten better after 5 days you can leave your house but continue to wear a mask for an additional 5 days.
If you still have a fever or are not feeling that symptoms have gotten better after 5 days, continue to stay home until 24 hours after your fever resolves and you are not using fever reducing medications (such as Tylenol or ibuprofen) and symptoms have improved. Continue to wear a mask around others through the 10th day from symptom onset. If you cannot mask, continue to isolate at home for the 5 additional days.
For influenza information from Kansas Department of Health Environment website: https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/1464/Influenza
Everyday Preventive Actions to Stop the Spread of Influenza
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home for five days following onset of symptoms Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective when soap and water is unavailable.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread easily this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
Visit the CDC influenza website for more information about the flu.
Please contact Nurse Darla Denny if you have any questions or concerns.
Technology at Trailridge
Did you know that you can monitor activity on your student's device?
Please use this link to learn more.
Using that link you can set up a parent portal, pause internet activity, setup restrictions, etc.
Social Media Tips
ATTENDANCE IS IMPORTANT!
INFORMATION ABOUT TRUANCY
The administration of Trailridge may begin to request documentation for all absences after the 10th absence in a school year. Absences without a doctor's note or administrative approval may be recorded as unexcused. A student with three consecutive unexcused absences, five unexcused absences in a semester, or seven unexcused absences in a year is considered TRUANT according to Kansas State statues. A truancy report may be filed with the Johnson County District Attorney's office.
Attendance Line: 913 993-1012
If your child is going to miss a class for an appointment or any reason, please make sure you are calling the office to let the attendance clerk know. This is important so that we can excuse the absence.
2022-2023 BELL SCHEDULE
Our PTA is very active in supporting students and staff at Trailridge through grants, assemblies, student activities and celebrations, and more and while our events and activities will undoubtedly look different this school year, our commitment to supporting our students, staff, and families is as strong as ever! Please consider joining and getting involved in your Trailridge PTA as we find new and creative ways to support our students, staff, and families in 2021/2022!
Please use the link or the QR Code to access the PTA website:
Help support our TMS PTA through Amazon purchases. The PTA receives a kickback on each purchase made!
Jake Bauer, Associate Principal
Matt Engler, Principal
Ericka Waller, Associate Principal