November 3, 2021 www.briarwoodpta.org
Message from Mr. Lash
Briarwood Job Opportunities
If you are interested in making a positive difference at the school your children attend, we have several job openings at Briarwood and could use your help. We currently have the following positions open:
- 4th Grade Large Classroom Educational Aide
- Building Educational Aide
The hours for all of these positions are 7:40-3:10, which will allow you to bring your child to and from school each day. In addition, you would receive the following employee benefits:
- Health Insurance
- On-Site Health Facility Access For You And Your Family
- Free Fitness Center
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Sick Leave
If you are interested, you can click the link below to apply and please let me know if you have
Oportunidades de trabajo en Briarwood
Si está interesado en hacer una diferencia positiva en la escuela a la que asisten sus hijos,
tenemos varias vacantes en Briarwood y podríamos necesitar su ayuda. Actualmente tenemos las siguientes posiciones abiertas.
- Asistente educativo de cuarto grado en un salón de clases grande
- Ayudante educativo de la escuela
El horario para todos estos puestos es de 7:40 - 3:10, lo que le permitirá llevar y traer a sus
hijos a la escuela todos los días. Además, recibiría los siguientes beneficios para empleados:
- Seguro de salud
- Acceso a instalaciones de salud en el lugar para usted y su familia
- Gimnasio gratuito
- Vacaciones pagadas
- Plan de retiro
- Licencia por enfermedad remunerada
Si está interesado, puede hacer clic en el enlace de abajo para postularse y avíseme si tiene
Important Dates & Deadlines at Briarwood
Monday, November 1-Friday, November 5
5th Annual Read-a-Thon
Tuesday, November 9
Picture retake day!
Thursday, November 11
Monday, November 22- Friday, November 26
Read-a-Thon is happening now!
We are asking for donations from grandparents, aunts/uncles, friends and neighbors to support our Briarwood Bulldogs’ daily dedicated reading time. All funds raised will support the Briarwood PTA!
Please return the blue flyer/envelope with a cash or check donation (made out to Briarwood PTA) OR donate online here: https://briarwoodptaop.membershiptoolkit.com
Tune in Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 7:00pm to hear special guests read stories live on our Briarwood Elementary Facebook page!
Wednesday, Nov 3: Hats off to a good book: hat day
Thursday, Nov 4: Book Picnic Day: bring a blanket
Friday, Nov 5: Get cozy with your favorite book: pajama day
Veterans Day is Wednesday, November 11
While we can't celebrate together as a large group, we will still honor our Veterans, Seniors and Grandparents!
We will continue the tradition and have our students decorate STARS with a picture and/or a Veteran or Seniors name. The STARS will be featured externally and internally in Briarwood the week of November 8.
Please print the attached STAR cutout, decorate with a Veteran or Senior's name, cut out the STAR, and return to your classroom teacher anytime between now and Monday, November 8.
Double Down on Briarwood
Briarwood Garden Work Day- Sunday, November 14 at 1:00pm- volunteer today!
Last month volunteers weeded and laid mulch, but there is more work to do before winter! Adults and children are encouraged to signup to help with more weeding, trimming of the trellis and relocating some native grasses.
Kinder Gardener Update:
The kinder gardeners have peas and radishes growing in their garden and are reseeding the carrots. They have been weeding, watering, and observing caterpillars and other critters. They plan to make signs for the garden and will plant different plants in the spring. Great job kinder gardeners!
Crossing Guards needed - sign up today!
- Children must walk themselves and/or their bikes/scooter across the crosswalk
- Cars are not permitted to turn left off of 86th Street before and after school times
- Crosswalk times are 7:50-8:10am and 3:05-3:20pm (12:25pm-12:40pm on half days)
- If you are unable to make your assigned time, please find a sub or trade with someone
- Please try and sign up at least once a month and wear a mask!
Thank you very much for your willingness to help!
Briarwood volunteers needed at the SMAC Clothing Exchange
The Shawnee Mission Area Council sponsors the Clothing Exchange, a resource for all families in the SMSD area to shop for gently used clothing. Our Briarwood PTA additionally supports this organization with volunteers and a monetary donation for the FREE new sock and underwear program.
Read more about volunteering here: https://www.smac-pta.org/volunteer
We need at least EIGHT Briarwood volunteers to sign up for a shift. Please choose the one that works best for you, but the need is greatest on Friday, December 10th and Thursday, December 16th before the Winter Break.
Citizenship Essay- "I will make the world a better place by..."
This year's Kansas PTA Citizenship Writing Program theme is; "I will make the world a better place by..."
If you are a 5th or 6th grader and you are interested in participating, please see your teacher for an official entry form.
All entries are due by Monday, December 6.
Read Across SMSD- November
Each month of the school year features a new theme and book recommendations, provided by the National Education Association. Shawnee Mission School District librarians and educators have also compiled lists of similar titles that connect to each monthly theme.
November’s book is: All Around Us
Written by: Xelena Gonzalez
Join the Briarwood PTA now!
Once you have registered in Membership Toolkit, you can find PTA memberships in the Store: https://briarwoodptaop.membershiptoolkit.com/home
Individual memberships are $12 and Joint memberships are $24. The Briarwood PTA works to support every student and teacher in our building and our goal is to have 100% participation from our families and teachers. PTA memberships are also a fundraiser for Briarwood PTA.
With the cost of membership, you will receive a printed directory (one per household). PTA members receive exclusive access to the online directory through Membership Toolkit – take your digital directory anywhere you go! Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Let's help Mrs. Martens by donating items to MakerSpace
Listed below are donations Mrs. Martens will be collecting for MakerSpace projects. Please send donated items with your child on library day.
Cereal boxes and other similar tagboard items
Toilet/paper towel rolls
WASHED plastic containers with lids (cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, 2 liter soda bottles etc.)
If you have any questions, you can contact Denise Wheeler at 913-48-1572. Thank you for your help!
Earn Money for Briarwood while you shop on Amazon!
Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7152153 and designate Briarwood as your charitable organization. Briarwood will earn .5% from most purchases.
Bookmark the website to use each time you shop! https://smile.amazon.com All of your account information will remain the same, but you’ll be raising money for Briarwood
Briarwood’s social worker, Cassie Horn is available to provide support to all families
- Help students/families with anxiety, depression, suicide prevention, peer relationships and other family/school dynamics
- Help create behavior support plans with students/families/teachers
- Assist teachers with social emotional teaching and trauma informed approaches in their classroom
- Individual and group counseling within school setting
- Provide resources to parents struggling with emotional/behavioral issues at home
- Connect families to resources, such as our community partner Hillcrest Covenant Church. Resources include groceries, housing, clothing etc.
Please contact Mrs. Horn with any questions or concerns:
La trabajadora social de Briarwood, Cassie Horn está aquí para brindar apoyo a todas nuestras familias de Bulldog
- Ayudar a los estudiantes / familias con ansiedad, depresión, prevención del suicidio, relaciones con los compañeros y otras dinámicas familiares / escolares.
- Ayudar a crear planes de apoyo al comportamiento con estudiantes / familias / maestros.
- Ayudar a los maestros con la enseñanza socioemocional y enfoques informados sobre el trauma en los salones.
- Asesoramiento individual y grupal dentro del entorno escolar.
- Proporcionar recursos a los padres que luchan con problemas emocionales o de comportamiento en el hogar.
- Conectarlo con recursos junto con nuestro socio comunitario Hillcrest Covenant Church para nuestras familias. Los recursos incluyen comestibles, vivienda, ropa, etc
Comuniquese con ella con cualquier pregunta o inquietud
Social Media Info
Briarwood Elementary Bulldogs on Facebook- Grade-level private Facebook groups, search:
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2028 (6th grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2029 (5th grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2030 (4th grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2031 (3rd grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2032 (2nd grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2033 (1st grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2034 (K)
2021-2022 PTA Executive Committee
Molly Lund • email@example.com
Mary Boomer • firstname.lastname@example.org
Deana Curtin• email@example.com
Kim Shelton • firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Freund • email@example.com
VP Community Events:
Krissie Kiehne • firstname.lastname@example.org
VP Student Services:
Kristin McClasky • Kdp1202@gmail.com
Sadie Durbin • email@example.com
Laura Strongman firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Wiens email@example.com
Ashley Hunt • firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Hill • Wendyhill329@gmail.com
Diversity & Inclusion Chair:
Jessica Bryon • email@example.com