Peter the Great
By Jessica Thurchak
Peter the Great- Personality
- Peter was not well very educated when he took the throne but he immediately was full of curiosity.
- He had a taste for learning new things.
- He cared about what his citizens thought of him and Russia but, also was controlling.
- He wanted to modernize Russia.
- He was merciless. Over 1,000 people who rebelled against him were tortured and executed.
Peter the Great- Accomplishments
- Peter the Great strengthened the military.
- He Westernized much of Russia with new technology, ideas and cultures.
- He improved many things in Russia such as canals and water ways.
- Strengthened serfdom by creating law keeping noble lands and serfs safe.
Peter the Great- Policies
- He started a policy in Russia of westernization where they started using Western technology, culture and ideas.
- He forced many people to become laborers and work on roads, and tunnels and canals.
- Made a policy encouraging exports to make money.
- Made policy ensuring that nobles would keep their land and they would keep the serfs on their land.
Peter the Great- Interesting Facts
- He started ruling at the age of 10.
- Spent a lot of his time in the "German Quarter"
- Didn't start ruling completely until he was 17 years old