Friedell Middle School
September 13 - 17 Newsletter
EVENTS and HAPPENINGS
- Monday is a "B" day
- Monday is our first PTSA Meeting! Please join us at 6:00 p.m. in the Library (Use door 4)
- Tuesday is an "A" day
- Tuesday is our virtual Open House from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Please see additional info below
- Wednesday is a "B" day
- Wednesday is the last day to sign up for the school located flu clinic! You must sign up by 11:00 p.m. on the 15th. You can sign up by following this link!
- Thursday is an "A" day
- Friday is a "B" day
Upcoming dates and events:
- September 27th - Bus Safety for all students
- September 29th - Picture retakes, or initial photos for those that did not attend on August 18th
- September 30th - Flu Shot Clinic at Friedell
- Here is a link to the Friedell Daily Bell Schedule
- Parents will begin receiving calls if their student missed a class, or was late to a class. Please have your student connect with the teacher if they were marked late, or Tardy, to clear things up.
- The 2021-2022 Student Handbook was recently approved by our school board. We would like to share that with you all here. Please know that we will be highlighting some of the key parts of this document with students in the coming weeks.
- Yearbooks are for sale! We have a few extra Yearbooks from last year. They are $30 and may be purchased in the main office!
FRIEDELL OPEN HOUSE
We are hosting our open house where parents have the opportunity to meet with teachers. This will be the second year that we need to hold this event virtually. Due to the anticipated high number of participants, and difficulties in potential contact tracing, we have chosen the virtual option for the safety of all involved.
The format for the evening will be fairly open. Most teachers will be available via a Google Meet link from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. They will be giving routine presentations every 15 minutes. This will give you time to go to all your student's teachers, and hear a bit about them and their class. Please expect an email from our school early next week to the updated Parent Portal page. This page will have all the links to teachers, and videos from teachers who are not able to attend at that time.
- Have your student's schedule readily available so you know what teachers to visit
- Download Google Meet on a device, or use the Chrome Browser
- Possibly use your student's iPad, and download the Google Meet app there
- Be sure to connect with teachers after if you have specific questions. If you try asking all of your questions in the short 15 minute timeframe, you may not be able to get to all teachers, and you may keep other parents from hearing about that particular teacher also
Our office will be open that evening for questions, and some general tech support if having issues accessing the event. Please call 507-328-5650 if you are struggling to connect that night.
GOOGLE CLASSROOM - PARENT EDITION
Google Classroom is the main communication tool between your Friedell student and his or her teachers. Directions, classwork, homework, quizzes, links to Google Meets, etc. are all posted to Google Classroom.
Parents can receive Google Classroom Summaries, a daily or weekly email of all of the posts that went out to your child. Parent/Guardian summaries also include a list of missing work, upcoming work, and class activity - assignments, announcements, directions, homework, etc.
If you would like to receive email summaries, parents/guardians need to do 2 things:
Step 1: Fill out this form (https://forms.gle/CsKymZduQyq6Bhh3A) with the email or emails you would like Google Classroom to send summaries to.
Step 2: Accept the email invitation. Be looking for an email invitation from Laura Willis (Friedell's Instructional Coach) within the week in order to accept Google Classroom Summaries. You need to click "Accept" within the invitation email in order to start receiving summaries. After you accept the invitation, you will then have the option to receive daily or weekly email updates.
- Parents do not download the Google Classroom app. All communication will come through emails.
- If you were receiving Google summaries last year and you were a Friedell parent/guardian, there is no need to sign up again for that child. You will need to fill out your info again if you have a new 6th grader, your child is new to Friedell, or if your email has changed.
GET INVOLVED AT SCHOOL!
Please sign up for one or more opportunities if interested!
*** There have been some updates since this flyer was produced. Volleyball will not be offered due to a coaching shortage. Additional programming will be added in Lego Robotics as well! Contact email@example.com with specific questions!
DROP OFF and PICK UP REMINDERS
- Please do not drop off before 8:05 a.m.
- Use Door 1 (By the Gym)
- Pull along the curb until you cannot pull forward.
- Have your student sitting on the passenger side for safety
- Have your student get out quickly and walk to door 1
- In working together, we can have 7 cars unload at the same time
- Please remember you do not need to pull all the way to door 1 if there is a line, simply pull up to the car in front. Have your student get out as soon as you are to the curb
- Please do not arrive until 3:05 p.m. to pick up your student. Any arrivals before that time actually slow down the buses and the pick-up line
- Once the buses leave our lot, please pull in using a single file line
- Vehicles will pull all the way forward to the end of our bus area on the west end of our lot
- Students should be looking for their ride, and move quickly to the vehicle once stopped
- Parents should again pull all the way up to the end of the curb, or to the vehicle in front of you
- In working together, we can have 10 cars load at the same time
- Please know that we do not have supervision for students after 3:15 p.m. once the pick up line runs smoothly
STUDENT/FAMILY TECHNOLOGY HELPDESK
The Remote Distance Learning Technical Support Team for families and students will solve for issues like:
- Support for standard softward like Microsoft Office, Adobe, G Suite
- Support for some hardware like printers, Internet, and Wi-Fi Connectivitie
Families and students will be able to receive support from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding Holidays). Simply call 1-800-78-0051
This information can also be found on our district website by following this link.
JOIN PTSA - FOR A MEETING AND AS A MEMBER
We are linking the agenda here so that all may be informed about what will be discussed!
The QR Code above will also take you to a site to register for PTSA. Please consider joining this group that greatly supports our students and school!
WHAT DETAILS DO I NEED?
Here are some reminders that are useful for students and parents!
- Breakfast and lunch are available daily
- Both Breakfast and Lunch are free
- No ala cart items are available yet
- We encourage all students to have a refillable water bottle
- The building opens each at at 8:00 a.m. for student drop off (Please do not drop off students prior to 8:00 a.m.)
- Parents dropping off in the morning use door 1 by the Gymnasium (Please have your student get out along the curb once you have pulled up behind the car in front of you. 6-8 cars can unload students at the same time. Have your student on the passenger side of the vehicle for safety.)
- The school day ends at 3:00 p.m. - please know you are not able to pick up a student until 3:10 p.m. due to our bussing needs
- Please do not pull into the parking lot until after the buses have left around 3:10 p.m.
- All students should be picked up by 3:20 p.m or prepared to walk to their destination
- We will have masks available at each entrance for students that did not bring one
- It is best to have multiple masks for students if possible
Student Support Services