5th Grade News!
October 10, 2014
Reminder... No school for students on Monday, October 13, 2014
Learning Objectives for the Week of October 13, 2014
- Creating and using scatterplots
- Multiplying 3-digit by 2-digit numbers
****Forms of Energy Quiz - Tuesday
- Observing and understanding properties of light and heat
- Identifying important historical figures and explaining the role of loyalists and patriots during the Revolutionary War
- Analyzing sound effects in a poem
- Identifying and evaluating the impact of figurative language, sensory details, and imagery in poetry
- On-Demand: Expository Essay (students will write an expository essay to demonstrate their learning)
- Creating poems using imagery, similes, metaphors, and stories
Homework - DUE FRIDAY, OCTOBER 17
- Choose one menu item
- Read for 20 minutes daily at home
- Pages 87-90
- Practice math facts daily at home
News, Reminders, and Upcoming Events
GLOW RUN - Friday, October 17 at 6:30
Spelling Bee Qualifying Test - Monday, October 27. The top ten students in 5th grade will be selected to participate in the Spelling Bee on December 2 at 1:30 in the gym. Teachers are not given the word list far in advance and we therefore are not able to provide a study guide.
Book Character Parade - October 31. Dress up as your favorite literary character!
Field Trip - November 6. If you have not already turned in money and permission slips, please send these ASAP. Students who have not turned in a permission slip will not be able to attend the field trip.
Thanksgiving Holidays - November 26-28
5th Grade Team
Willie Manning - WillieRManning@KATYISD.ORG
Julie Longoria - JulieALongoria@KATYISD.ORG
Julie Hernandez - JulieRHernandez@KATYISD.ORG
Nichole Howard - NicholeCHoward@KATYISD.ORG
Jennifer Counter - JenniferTCounter@KATYISD.ORG
Kailey Miller - KaileyMiller@KATYISD.ORG
Abbie Artley - AbigailEArtley@KATYISD.ORG