Mattos Family Update
September 18, 2023
Importance of School Attendance
Dear Mattos Families,
Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school and themselves. Good attendance will help children do well in school, college, and at work. Absences can affect the whole classroom when the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
Did You Know?
Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause children to fall behind in school.
Mission 10 percent of school (2 days a month or 18 days a year) makes it harder to learn to read or write.
Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two every few weeks.
Being late to school disrupts the start of class and can make your child miss important lessons.
Daily attendance at school is mandatory. If a student is absent, the parent/guardian is to email or call the same day as the absence. Please contact Miss Ginger at email@example.com OR 510-793-1359. If we do not receive a call or note from the parent/guardian, we will attempt to make contact. When the student returns to school, a valid explanation verifying the reason for the absence must be provided by the parent/guardian (see Parent/Guardian and Student Handbook and Notice of Rights and Responsibilities for detailed information on excused and unexcused absences).
Our Mattos staff is here to support you and your family. If your child is missing school regularly, I will be reaching out to you for a meeting so we can discuss how we can work together to make school attendance positive. Please feel free to always reach out ahead of that meeting so we can take proactive steps to support your child.
Reminders and Announcements:
- Illnesses: All students must be fever and vomit-free for 24 hours prior to returning to school without the use of medication.
- Monday, September 18-Friday, September 22: Start with HELLO Week
- Tuesday, September 19 @ 3:00 p.m.: Mattos Safety Committee Meeting
- Friday, September 22: Picture Day
- Tuesday, September 26: SSC/ELAC Meeting
- Friday, September 29: S.O.A.R. Assembly
- Volunteering in 2023-2024? All adults who volunteer on campus or on a field trip at any time during the school year must complete the CiviCore application. If you are returning as a volunteer, please resubmit your information in CiviCore. If you are new, please visit FUSD's website here.
Soaring in education,