BW HAL SERVICES
A Support System for Teachers by Teachers
Need to Know...
Access the HAL Services Information sheets for students in PowerTeacher in order to view...
- strategies previous teachers have used and had success with
- differentiated learning
- specific learning styles for students
Conferencing with Gifted Students and their Parents
- Parents need understanding and communication. While having a gifted child may seem like a good problem to have, it's still a problem. Providing for that child's needs can be stressful and exhausting for both the teacher and the parent. Be patient, offer support when possible, and realize that you're all in this together.
- Discuss activities that you've tried to meet the student's needs.
- Invite parents to get involved with their child's education. Think of ways they can expand on the child's learning at home.
- Offer support to parents of accelerated students. Make sure they're aware about what to expect in the curriculum.
- Encourage parents to talk with other parents of gifted kids, and to create a support network.
Up and Running...
S3 Room (SSR time) and 351 (GPS): This is the HAL support time for our students. We use these rooms for conferencing with HAL students to offer them organization/study strategies or support in terms of college and career planning. We may also send a pass for specific HAL students to come see us. This is also the location of the PEER TUTORING CENTER during GPS.
Peer Tutoring Center: During GPS, room 351 is staffed by HAL students who have been selected to assist students with various classes. Please utilize this time for your students who may need extra help.
Peer Tutoring Sign-up Process:
-Send an email to Mrs. Menard or Mrs. Brewer stating:
1) the name of the student
2) the subject they need tutoring for, resources the student has for learning (previous quizzes, homework, books, handouts, etc.)
3) the date they will go to 351
-Send an email to each student's GPS teacher, communicating that they will report directly to 351 for GPS that day
Share your Successes: Use the Help Desk link to share differentiation strategies that worked well in your classroom. We will share these positive experiences on future newsletters.
Feature Stragegy: PBL
What could be better than a comprehensive list of resources for PBL?
Three comprehensive lists! Within these links, you’ll find rationale, strategies, rubrics, project ideas and more. Dig in and see what you can take away from the successful endeavors of other great educators! As always, Molly (email@example.com) is more than willing to work with you to generate and adapt ideas. Don’t hesitate to reach out.
Need help with a differentiation strategy? Have concerns about a specific student identified to receive HAL Services? Do you have a general question about BW HAL Services that we could answer or direct you to someone who can? CLICK ABOVE