March 16, 2015
Learning never stops, it just evolves into teaching. The more you learn, the more you want to share with others.
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot as of 3/12/15
News to Roar About
- Trisha Connor and Mike Stanton for all of the great opportunities you have provided for our students in the Robotics Club! Your work is amazing!
- 2nd, 5th & Kindergarten Teachers for excellent common planning sessions. Great teamwork!
- Thanks, Chris, for helping your principal be more tech savvy!
- Trista Clark for the awesome learning with your class in the STEM lab. Thank you for stepping out to try new STEM adventures!
- To ALL of our teachers for your judging for the Science/Social Studies Fair! It was an awesome event, so exciting to see so many great projects, and it could not be done without each of YOU!
- Bridget Saldana, Lisa Newton and Mike Stanton for your Leadership with the Science/Social Studies Fair. Thank you for leading the team to provide an outstanding experience for our students!
- Kathy Schmidt on her selection to present at ISTE this summer. We are so proud of you!
Thank you Chris Rogers, Jennifer Dalton, Bridget Saldana, and especially Tama Henriksen and Layla Bell (they had to write lesson plans for subs) for helping judge the Witzzle Pro tournament!
Thank you to Christy LeMaster for stepping in at the last minute to help with the Witzzle Pro Tournament!
Thanks to those who have had common planning days (and for those who will!) for writing/sharing such great lessons incorporating Singapore, Exemplars, and Standards of Mathematical Practice! I'm excited to hear how the lessons go!
Thank you to all who helped score projects, complete classroom projects, man ticket tables (you needed combat pay!) monitor project classrooms, worked with vendors, hung signs, loaned out classrooms, etc. for the science and social studies fair. We have the best team anywhere!
I cannot say thank you enough for everything you guys did to help make the Science and Social Studies Fair a HUGE success! We had an amazing crowd last night, and the kids had a great time! Y'all are the best! Thanks!
Amber Deadrick for serving as the staff representative on the PTA planning team this year. Your work and input have been awesome!
Shelly Everett for all of the fun, interactive displays around the school to support student learning in art!
Shelly Everett for putting together an incredible display for Tapestry and for showcasing the learning of our students! We cannot wait to see it all on display at the ISC!
Thank you to Debbie Davis for your time at common planning and for your leadership in planning the Witzzle Pro Tournament.
Thank you to the grades 3-5 teachers for doing a great job of getting your students ready for the GMAS by teaching and assessing really well. That's the best preparation of all!
Chris Rogers for your tech time with each grade level during professional learning! We appreciate your help to make D2L so doable for our staff!
Amy Moore and the cafe team for keeping us all well fed! We appreciate your hard work each day to feed so many hungry mouths and we appreciate the extras on Friday for the staff!
Joan Tullis and team for all of the setting up and taking down and setting up and taking down that you do for our many special events! We appreciate our custodial team!
To our wonderful Relay for Life team for all you have done to raise money for such a worthy cause. Go, Team!
Report Card Timeline
Snow Make-Up Updates
Reminder: CFGs on Tuesday after school
Cultural Arts Program - March 16th
This will count as specials for the day so teachers will take planning time while students are in the program and special areas teachers will supervise the students during the program. Please wait for your classes to be called to the gym before coming down.
9:00-9:45 Grades K-2
10:00-10:45- Grades 3-5
Early Release Conference Data
Teachers please complete the following spreadsheet by Wed. 3/18.
Being happy is not about circumstances or any other outside force. Happiness is a decision we make.
DDA Test Room Locations
Mon 3/16: LA Gr. 1-5 Gr 3-5 ONLY = No Team Time
Thurs 3/19: MA Gr. 1-5 Gr. 3-5, Gr 1-2 LA = No Team Time
Mon. 3/23: SC Gr. 3-5, Gr 1-2 MA = No Team Time
Tues, 3/24: SS Gr.3-5 = No Team Time
Exciting Professional Learning Opportunity- Check it out!
Elementary 4 Core on Monday, March 23 at Grayson High School and Tuesday, March 24 at Peachtree Ridge High School Author Kylene Beers is coming to Gwinnett County Public Schools this month to share strategies for working with struggling readers. The co-author of Notice and Note: Strategies in Close Reading will be speaking to elementary school teachers and administrators as a guest presenter at 4 Core on Monday, March 23 at Grayson High School. Participants may hear Beers speak at Session 1 from 4:30-5:30 PM OR at Session 2 from 5:45-6:45 PM. Please note that Beers will be one of two sessions that night. Participants will also be able to attend sessions hosted by the Offices of Math, Science, and Social Studies.
Please register in the PD&E tool using the following section information: 4:30-5:30 PM, PD&E section # 18865 5:45-6:45 PM, PD&E section #18868
Media Center Closed
- Welcome to Shelley McCleary who will join us from Lovin ES to teach kindergarten for 2015-2016. She will replace Terri Poffenberger.
- Kristin Smith will reduce to half-time IRR for the fall to support her family.
- Join us in welcoming Starla Dean who will teach 2nd grade self-contained SLD for the fall, replacing Kristin Smith.
- Minh Chiavone will increase to "almost" full-time in the fall. We are excited to have Minh with us for more time each day and look forward to being able to make her full-time again in the future.
What: Calling all Bakers. Looking for bakers for this year's Cupcake Challenge, If interested, please email Heather Garren.
When: The Challenge will take place on Monday, March 30th after school.
Why: All sale proceeds benefit Relay For Life
How: Bake 60 cupcakes (all the same flavor). Give your cupcake a creative name. Bring them to school on Monday, March 30th.
All cupcake variations are sold for $10.00 a box. Participants vote on 5 categories for awards.
If you bake them, they will come!
Computer Lab Laptops and e-Class
- When leaving the computer labs, please make sure student laptops are logged out and that the screens are left open. If students shut down or close the lid, it causes delays and problems with the next class who comes in. Thanks!
- Need e-Class or BYOD help? Check out this handy troubleshooting guide and remember to fill out a TSR if you need assistance from the Harbins Tech Team.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Grade Level Professional Learning
- March 12- Grade Level Business
- March 12 - 5th Grade Collaborative Planning
- March 18 - STEM Team Re-delivery-will be held in the STEM Lab
- March 18 - 1st Grade Collaborative Planning
- March 19 - Grade Level Staff Development - Literacy
- March 27 - 4th Grade Collaborative Planning
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on March 31 from 1:15 - 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read professional article for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.