Diversity Day at DMS
I want to start out the day with listening to this abbreviated clip of Dr. Marylin Sanders Mobley at TEDxCLE 2013 where she speaks about the Paradox of Diversity. More specifically, she recounts a short story by Toni Morrison. Please pay special attention to this story. We have a lot of work to do to reach our student population, and I know that this is the group of educators with the heart to do it. Please feel free to take notes or Tweet out your learning. Please use the #DMSdiversity hashtag to connect this day on social media. Now please sit back and think.
Schedule of Sessions
Culturally Responsive Differentiated Instructional Strategies
- Goal: Use differentiated instruction to address cultural differences.
- Objectives: Understand that differentiated instruction is an approach to teaching and learning for students with different abilities in the same classroom. Learn that through differentiated instruction, students will get to the same place, but take different paths. Realize that there is no “how to” recipe for differentiation because teachers who value the individual can translate it into classroom practices in many ways.
- Facilitator: Instructional Coach
Culturally Responsive Classroom Management Strategies
- Goal: Provide culturally responsive classroom management.
- Objectives: Learn how classroom management becomes an important tool in the arsenal of reducing and preventing disproportionality. Recognize that the goal of classroom management is not to achieve compliance or control but to provide all students with equitable opportunities for learning. Reflect on the ways that classroom management practices promote or obstruct equal access to learning.
- Facilitator: Assistant Principal
Strategies for Working with Culturally Diverse Students
- Goal: Teachers who utilize strategies for culturally diverse students.
- Objective: Learn that culturally responsive practices are specific educational practices, instructional strategies, team processes, and curricula content which have been established by research to increase the achievement of culturally diverse students. Understand the impact of culture on learning. Recognize strategies that could strengthen relationships with your students and incorporate that knowledge into instruction.
- Facilitator: Counselor
Culturally Responsive Parent Involvement
- Goal: Have meaningful parent involvement on the campus.
- Objective: Explore culturally biased beliefs many educators frequently have toward their students and their students’ families. Recognize that definitions of family are evolving and complex and that parents want and need to be involved in their children’s schools.
- Facilitator: Principal
TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgqkY5jlXc
Diverse Earth Image: http://www.utoledo.edu/diversity/oed/
Diversity Puzzle Image: http://juliesondradecker.blogspot.com/2014/11/diversity.htmlDiversity Wheel Image: http://diversity.unc.edu/education/derc/thinkposium/thinkposium-2013/