4th Grade Weekly Blast
News and updates about your students week!
- Current Event Project: Students came home this week with information on a new at home project. This project will focus on Asia. I have attached a link here where you can find the instructions and a guide for this project.
- We have completed the Greek/Latin roots! This week we will work on List #22 from Spelling City.
- As we finish our Pioneer Simulation, students will write a letter home to "Aunt Bertha" telling her whether they think she should follow their ways and head to Oregon. We will work on this in class some days, but students will need to work on it at home as well. This assignment will be due on Monday, May 11.
- Next week we begin our Poetry Unit! We will be learning about figurative language and poetic devices that are found in poetry. Students will have an assignment to memorize a 10-line poem, due on May 15th.
- Students did well on their Chapter 11 test, and persevered through their timed math facts tests! I heard lots of celebrations as students seemed to get even farther than last time they took them! Good job 4th grade!
- This week, we took a quick look into Chapter 12, which covers the metric system of measurement! Students will continue to learn about these units of measurement throughout chapter 12. This is a brief chapter, and students will be tested on Wednesday, May 13.
- With there only being 6 weeks left of school, your 4th grade student is getting close to 5th grade! With this, we are going to start switching classes for Social Studies. They will travel from our room to Ms. Hewitt's next door! This switching will occur 3 times a week, and Ms. Hewitt will give out the homework during class. Please make sure you are checking your student's planners to ensure homework is complete!
- On Tuesday, students will finally arrive in Oregon as we finish our Pioneer Simulation!
- Students will be learning about energy! We will do some review this week on some physical science concepts that were learned earlier this year.
Letter to Aunt Bertha (Due May 11)
10-line Poem Membership (Due May 15)
Asia Current Event Project (Due May 19)
Monday: IXL N.8
Tuesday: Art, no math homework
Wednesday: IXL N.9
Thursday: MY Homework pg. 799-800
See your students planner for homework from Ms. Hewitt
See your students planner for homework for science.
- May is Bike Month! We will be logging students bike trips (10 minutes=1 trip) this month to earn rewards! Get out and ride your bikes this weekend! If your student rides their bike to school, they can log those trips(10 minutes) as well!
- Progress Reports will be sent home on Friday, May 8th! This means we are halfway through the trimester! Please make sure your student continues to turn in homework, and if you notice any missing assignments on Engrade, please check with your child that they have it to turn in. I will send out another round of missing assignment notes on Monday. They will have until Wednesday, May 6th to get those in!
- Pioneer Day is June 11! If you have not had a chance to sign up to volunteer yet, click here to find the sign up form! You can get costumes for Pioneer Day by following the links below:
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- May 8: Mid-trimester progress reports go home
- Week of May 11th: NWEA Testing
- May 15: Poetry Recitation Due
- May 15: Final Scholastic Book orders due
- May 16: Celebration of Westlake Charter School's 10th Anniversary
- May 19: Current Event from Asia Project Due
- May 20: Open House from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
- May 25: Memorial Day, No School
- June 11: 4th Grade Pioneer Day