What the KEcK is it???!!!
What the KECK???????? SEriously
- Location - The summit of Mauna Kea Volcano in Hawaii!!!!!!!
- Captures infrared waves
- Each telescope stands eight stories tall, weighs 300 tons and operates with nanometer precision. The telescopes’ primary mirrors are 10 meters in diameter and each have 36 hexagonal segments that work together in a single piece of reflective glass. The Keck telescopes offer the greatest potential sensitivity and clarity available in astronomy
- There are two, twin telescopes.
- Discoveries- Pinpointed the exact location of the black hole in the center of the Milky Way by measuring the motion of individual stars, found out stars in the Andromeda galaxy are moving in connection with the galaxy, found out that the Andromeda Galaxy was triple the size than thought previously, and in 2008 captured an image of a newfound extrasolar planetary system 140 light years away from Earth.
- Calm and dry climate, located on the little tippy top of the summit (high elevation), and little light pollution from the neighboring city make it an excellent site for an observatory.
- Scientists are currently working on studying how planets, galaxies, and stars form. They're also closely monitoring the nature of black holes and researching further into the chemical composition and evolution of the universe. :~)
- DEIMOS - the most advanced optical spectrograph in the world, capable of gathering spectra from 130 galaxies or more in a single exposure
- HIRES - The largest and most mechanically complex of the Keck's main instruments, the High Resolution Echelle Spectrometer breaks up incoming light into its component colors to measure the precise intensity of each of thousands of color channels
- LRIS - The Low Resolution Imaging Spectrograph is a faint-light instrument capable of taking spectra and images of the most distant known objects in the universe