South Row's Home Link
Week of: February 7th, 2022
Message from Mrs. Gilbert & Mr. Ramalho
We wrapped up our Math Fact Challenge on Friday. Students logged a total of 14,290 minutes with the following grade level results:
Kindergarten - 3,460
Grade 1 - 3,800
Grade 2 - 3,030
Grade 3 - 5,200 WINNER!!!
Grade 4 - 2,220
There are a number of district changes beginning on Monday regarding health and safety. Please be sure to read Dr. Lang's communication for details. Information pertaining to test kits, contact tracing, test and stay and other covid related topics are included. On MONDAY, we will be distributing test kits to those families that registered by January 28th. These kits will go home in student backpacks and will continue to be distributed in this way. Registration is rolling if you are still interested in signing up. See Dr. Lang's communication for links.
Terri and Jayson
Dr. Lang's 2.4.22 Update
Week at a Glance
- Kindness Matters Shirt Day - Students encouraged to wear kindness shirts and do a kind act throughout the day. Send any photos to Mr. Ramalho at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual Grade Level Meetings (will be shared with students at some point this week)
- International Festival Meeting, 4:30pm, Virtual, Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/418300277
- School Council Meeting, 5:30pm, Virtual Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/992979933
- PTO Board Meeting, 6:30pm, Virtual
- PTO Meeting, 7:00pm, Virtual, Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/249996765
- Grade 1 Enrichment Program (Meteorologist Visit), 10AM, Virtual
Early Release Day - Teacher Professional Development - Dismissal begins at 11:45am
Reminders for Early Release Days:
- Students are dismissed at 11:45am
- Car dismissals should adhere to the following times
- Last names A-G- 11:40-11:45am
- Last names H-N- 11:45-11:50am
- Last names O-Z- 11:50-11:55am
- Please communicate any changes to your child's dismissal plans to their respective teacher, Mrs. O'Neill (email@example.com) and Mrs. Sepe (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to also discuss with your child.
- NO Lunch is served
- Students will either have specials or recess (rotates every half day).
- Snack time may be adjusted and/or not occur depending on your child(ren)'s schedule.
- Extended Day will be open until 6:00pm for students signed up on Wednesdays. Please provide your child a lunch
- Door Decorating Judging/Student Viewing - Rescheduled from 2/4
- Chelmsford/South Row Spirit Day - Rescheduled from 2/4
- February Therapy Dog Visit -Tuesday 2/15 - Tice, Rigby, Frasca, Bullock, and Krauch (subject to change)
- 4th Grade - MIddle School Performance Field Trip to Center School- February 18th
- Science Fair Registration deadline February 18th (details below)
- February School Vacation (No School) - February 21st-25th
- Science Fair Projects due - February 25th
Reminders/ Updates for the Week
Car Arrival Reminders: The safety of our students and staff is a priority to us. Please take the time to carefully review the reminders below for car arrival. With large snow piles and cold/ not favorable weather conditions we feel it is important to remind everyone of this information. We also recognize that additional families have been using car drop off over the last week or so.
- The car loop opens at 8:45am. Please access through Mill Rd. Cars can form two lines on the access road and merge together as one (going every other car) when it is time to approach to the building/car loop.
- We form 4 rows of cars in the unloading loop with a total of 6 cars in each row. Please be sure your car is parked when approach your spot in the row. Please try to get as close to the car in front of you to allow us to fit all cars. After adults signal, students can get out of cars. Please DO NOT let your child out until an adult signals.
- If you don't quite make it into the 4 rows and are waiting in the line to approach the rows, please DO NOT pass the cone as that signals that cars are unloading and students are moving.
- After all students are out of cars and doors are closed and on the pavement, we will release all cars out of the loop. Please do not put your car out of park and/or move until directed to by staff.
- We ask that parents who may have previously parked and walked their child across to the building consider driving through the loop as our driveway has limited space with the current snow piles.
- At 9:00am the loop closes. After 9:00am families will be expected to go to the front of the building and have your child check in with the main office. Please DO NOT move the cones, beep at staff, or have your student run to the back doors from the access road as this poses a safety concern.
- Thank you for your commitment and partnership through the arrival process.
Tennis Court Lot: The Tennis Court lot in the front of the building is currently closed. Please keep this in mind for arrival and dismissal.
Car Dismissal Reminder: With the current snow piles we have lost some space in our parking lot. Please be sure to pull up as close as you can to the car in front of you when approaching the 4 rows of cars. Additionally, students should NOT enter cars until all cars in the 4 rows come to a complete stop and students are directed to their cars by staff.
Door Decorating Viewing and Judging - Rescheduled: Due to having no school on Friday, February 4th judges plan to come this Friday, February 11th to view our amazing doors. One special "surprise" VIP judge plans to come on Monday to kick off the week. Additionally, on Friday, February 11th all students will have an opportunity to view the doors. We included a video below in this newsletter for families to see all of the creativity as well.
Chelmsford/South Row Spirit Day - Rescheduled: Friday, February 11th will be our next South Row/Chelmsford Spirit Day. This is rescheduled from Friday, February 4th.
Spotlight on South Row: Click on this link to view the video recording from the latest school committee meeting which features a Spotlight on South Row presentation. We appreciate the many students, staff, and families who got involved in this presentation focused on partnerships.
Science Fair Update/Reminder: Please read this update/reminder on the South Row Virtual Science Fair. Information is also included below.
Outdoor Recess Reminders: We continue to do our best to get students outside for recess as long as conditions and temperatures are safe for students. As a reminder, please be sure your child has a jacket, gloves, and a hat for outdoor recess in the winter months. Also, if there is snow on the ground, students must have boots on to walk on any snow covered area. Additionally, we recommend if your child brings in boots they also have sneakers, especially on days where your child has PE.
Playing in the Snow at Recess: Depending on conditions students will have the opportunity to play in the snow at recess. In order to play in the snow they MUST have boots, a hat, gloves, a warm jacket, and snow pants. It is also helpful to our staff that you practice with your child getting in and out of snow pants. Please keep in mind if it is icey and/or there are high snow piles/drifts students will not be allowed to go in the snow.
Water Bottles: Please send your student to school with a water bottle. Our drinking fountains remain closed, but we do have water bottle filling stations. Some students request a cup of water when they are in the cafeteria but we are running low on cups and will not be able to provide these to students much longer. We request that students bring their water bottles to lunch so they will have a drink with them.
Scholastic Book Fair 2022: Mark your calendars the South Row Scholastic Book Fair will be back IN PERSON March 7-11!! This year’s theme is “Books Bring Us Together.” Children will have the opportunity to shop the fair during their regularly scheduled library block. The Book Fair Committee is actively seeking volunteers to help set-up, run, and break down the fair. Please consider helping out using the link below or email@example.com. Additional details coming soon! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4dafaa29aaffcf8-2022
Upcoming Spirit Days
- Red, White, and Pink Day, Monday, February 14th
February Kind Act
Dear South Row Families,
I hope everyone is enjoying their Friday snow-day! Here are a few reminders:
Covid Response Changes
Our district will be transitioning from the Test and Stay program to providing weekly at-home rapid antigen tests for all interested students and staff.
We will discontinue contact tracing and the Test and Stay program once we receive and distribute at-home rapid antigen test kits to individuals that elect to participate in this new program. (**Please note: Kits will be given out to those who signed up this MONDAY 2/7/22 in your child(ren)'s backpack**).
Pool Testing will continue. Pool testing is available for vaccinated and unvaccinated students. If your student is already enrolled in pool testing you do not need to sign up again. Students who contract covid should not be participating in pool testing for 90 days from date of symptom onset or confirmation through a positive test if asymptomatic.
Students and staff may opt-in to receive at-home rapid antigen test kits regardless of vaccination status, even if they do not participate in pool testing.
Third Grade Physicals
All third grade students are required to submit a current physical exam. If you have not already done so, please submit a copy of your student’s physical dated January 1, 2021 or later.
Feel free to reach out to me with questions. I will do my best to answer them!
COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic 5-11 Years - Wednesday, February 9th
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The COVID Vaccine Clinic will be offered to all students ages 5 years to 11years old on Wednesday Feb. 9, 2022. We are partnering with Remedium Pharmacy in N. Chelmsford.
Remedium Pharmacy will be on site at Chelmsford High School ( in the cafeteria ) at 200 Richardson Rd. on Wednesday February 9, 2022, from 3:00pm-6:00pm. The clinic is open to all Chelmsford residents ages 5 years to 11 years old!
The 2nd dose COVID Vaccine clinic will be held on Wednesday, March 2nd, 2022, from 3:00pm-6:00pm at the Chelmsford High School (in the cafeteria). Remedium Pharmacy will send out a reminder email to parents/guardians.
For the 2nd dose clinic on March 2nd, your appointment time will be the SAME TIME as your first dose appointment selected on February 9th.
We are happy to have our special furry friends from She's A Keeper Therapy Animal Program to visit with our students during this event! 🐶🐾🐾🐶
- Go to www.RemediumRx.net
- Click the purple button in the middle of the page that reads "Chelmsford Ages 5-11 COVID Vaccine Clinic 2/9/22".
- This will bring you to a screen that has Chelmsford. If you have more than one child, please register and sign consent for each child.
- Enter the access code- Chelmsford
- Select the appointment time slot and click submit and sign up at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your child's demographic information and click Sign up Now.
- Please note:
- A parent/guardian must accompany their child to the vaccine clinic.
- Please have your child wear a short-sleeved shirt
- Please bring a copy of your insurance card, however no child will be denied a vaccine for lack of insurance.
- It is recommended that individuals hydrate on the day of the vaccine!
- Students will be observed for 15 minutes after the vaccine is administered.
- Side effects may be experienced after getting the vaccine; these are normal signs that your body is building protection against COVID-19
- The most common side effects are: pain at the injection site, headache, fatigue, muscle ache, fever, chills, nausea.
We strongly encourage all eligible individuals to receive the vaccine- THANK YOU to our families and students for getting vaccinated. We are grateful for your commitment to protect our students against COVID-19 and for helping to keep our school community safe! Please feel free to reach out with any questions. Best,
Peggy Gump, M.Ed BSN RN
Coordinator of Nursing Services
Chelmsford Public Schools
200 Richardson Road
N. Chelmsford, MA 01863
Communicating Positive Cases & Other Information
If you are leaving a phone message or email (email is the preferred method of communication) because your child has tested positive, please include the following:
- Name of child
- Grade of child
- Date of symptom onset (if no symptoms were experienced, please note the date the test was taken)
- Date of testing, type of test performed (home, PCR or antigen).
- If the positive test was obtained from a home test, if possible, please schedule a PCR lab test to confirm.
- Date the last time your child was present in school
- Does your child attend school activities or sports and list the activity or team
- Is your child vaccinated? ( you may elect not to share this information, if so, please indicate that you elect not to share.) If your child is vaccinated and the school does not have a copy of the vaccine cared, please upload the card using this link below.
*Please note, you must be logged into your student's CPS Lions Google Account to access these links for the Vaccination Card Upload and the Consent for Pooled Testing and/or Test and Stay.
Vaccination Card Upload: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLg4x9m0cWBTH3YZ35ExGgt2QsPWnHY5cNarNmpRoNkTyMfQ/viewform
Consent form for Pooled Testing and/or Test and Stay: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdfSHazJ4EQvmKRfes5QkMmCdcjOjrqpTlecVxPd6PXMlmLZA/viewform
CPS Covid-19 Health and Safety Protocol : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C4T8zAWpE5uXf_OLkpG85L8GyiZ-a15lQKpabcbtZdY/edit?usp=sharing
Science Fair 2022
The 2022 Virtual Science Fair is fast approaching. Here are some quick reminders pertaining to the event.
The registration deadline for the Virtual Fair is Friday, February 18th, 2022. Please register by clicking on the 2022 South Row Science Fair Student Registration link.
Project submissions are due Friday, February 25th, 2022
Please click on this link to view how to add the science fair classroom to your child's profile. The classroom code is lphexi3 (first letter is a lower case L). All projects should be videoed and uploaded using Google Classwork.
We are also excited to share that CodeWiz has donated some classes and gift certificates. We will hold a raffle for all the submitted videos to distribute the generous CodWiz donation. Additionally, we hope to provide participants the opportunity to display science fair project boards in the hallway leading up to the book fair during the week of March 7th-11th. More information on this possible opportunity and drop off of projects will be shared in the coming weeks.
Should you want to review more detailed information on the Science Fair please click on this link.
We are looking forward to seeing many presentations.
Should you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. A special thank you to Rick Cockley (South Row Parent/School Council member) for organizing this event.
SAVE THE DATE - MORE INFO COMING SOON!
February 1st, 2022 School Committee Meeting
February PTO Meeting
Please join us for our February PTO meeting, which will be held virtually, on Monday, February 7, at 7:00PM.
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123
Access Code: 249-996-765
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/249996765
Snow Play Date
After looking at the conditions of the hills at the school, and considering the shift in today's forecast from snow toward rain and sleet, it does not appear that the conditions will be as good as we had hoped on Saturday for our Snow Play Day. We will be postponing the event, and hopefully the weather will cooperate for us to be able to hold it at some point this Winter.
There are a few roles that we are seeking volunteers for:
Bylaw Review Committee
Our bylaws state that every 5 years, we must conduct a bylaw review, and this is the year. This involves a committee reading the bylaws, and if necessary, proposing amendments that will be voted on at a PTO meeting. The committee MUST consist of at least 3 people, including one member of the Board and one staff member and one parent, neither of whom may be current members of the Board. The time commitment could be as little as one meeting, depending on how many proposed changes are found upon review.
Our May meeting with Board elections will be here before you know it! Each Board position (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer) are elected annually, so if any position interests you, don't hesitate to reach out to email@example.com to learn more.
January Fun Video 2022
Check out all the amazing doors at South Row! A fun and collaborative school wide reward!
SOUTH ROW'S PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
Pride Shout Outs
Lots of fun and learning at South Row!
Grade 3 Bus Sign Holders
Blizzard of Math Facts at South Row! Well done, everyone!
Winter Walking Tips from Chelmsford Municipal Safety
Contact the South Row Administrative Team!
Mr. Jayson Ramalho, M.Ed.
Contact the Main Office Staff
- Mrs. Terri Gilbert, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-251-5177 ext. 4
- Mr. Jayson Ramalho, Assistant Principal: email@example.com, 978-251-5177 ext. 3
- Mrs. Shannon Vandevoordt, School Nurse: firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-251-5177, ext.2
- Mrs. Debbie O'Neill, Secretary: email@example.com, 978-251-5177, ext. 0
- Mrs. Kim Sepe, School Clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-251-5177, ext.0
- Absentee Line: 978-251-5177 ext. 1