A Publication of the Affton School District
Update for Families | March 27, 2020
Continuity of Learning: Maintaining Momentum
With Continuity of Learning beginning this week, we hope you and your child has found a pace that works for your family! As a reminder, this will not take the place of regular classroom instruction but will supplement student learning at home. These learning opportunities are meant to keep students engaged in a variety of ways while they are away from school. We will maintain their learning momentum to the greatest extent possible, given the circumstances.
Parents, families, and home guardians play a critical role in learning at home. Because no two families are alike, you can support your students in a variety of ways. We suggest this resource from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE): How to Support Student Learning at Home.
Track & Field Usage
We are aware that many parents, students, staff, and community members want to use our track and fields during this time to exercise and stay healthy. We are also seeing some health and safety issues with the increased use of our community property. We ask for your cooperation as we all follow these guidelines when using Affton School District outdoor facilities.
- Affton High School and Rogers Middle School fields are not available for use at this time. There is no way to monitor and anticipate how many people will show up to use our fields at a given time. We are seeing community group activities on the fields that are not aligned with CDC and St. Louis County guidance to limit gatherings to 10 or less and maintain safe social distancing. Therefore, in the interest of health and safety, our fields are closed and we will monitor and enforce field use.
- Affton High School track remains open for community members to walk or run. Please maintain safe social distancing and avoid group activities.
- As a reminder, please be respectful of our community property. Food, drinks, and pets are not permitted.
- All Affton athletic team practices are canceled which includes small, informal team gatherings. Please remind your children of the St. Louis County stay at home order and guidance to limit gatherings to 10 or less.
We want to provide safe, healthy outdoor spaces for our community to use but may need to adjust our plans as needed. We know it is challenging to find ways to maintain physical and mental health during this time, so we want to help provide some resources.
FAQ: Will we have to make up any days or time as a result of the extended closure?
Free Meals for Students
Beginning April 6, free school meals will extend to all children 18 years of age and younger in our community. More details will be shared soon!
We understand that some of our families rely on the availability of school meals for proper nourishment. In order to help with this, Affton School District will be providing "To Go" and delivery meals for all students through Friday, April 3. At the time of pickup/delivery, a packaged lunch for the day will be provided as well as a breakfast for the following day. Meals will be provided free of cost.
Families can sign up at http://bit.ly/AfftonMeals or by calling the Affton Schools COVID-19 Helpline at 314-633-5911.
Computer and Internet Access
Spectrum is waiving installation fees and providing 60-day Internet access for families during the COVID-19 crisis. Please call 844-488-8395 for details.
- If your student needs additional technology help at home, please email email@example.com or call the Affton Schools COVID-19 Helpline at 314-633-5911.
Ameren Missouri Offers Assistance
Please reach out with your questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Affton Schools COVID-19 Helpline at 314-633-5911.