FMHS Counseling Department News
We are almost done with M4 and Spring Break is a little over one month away! How is this year going so quickly?
On March 4 from 5-6:30, Mr. Young and local Career Development Facilitators are sponsoring a virtual job fair.
You can also participate in a College March Madness with recorded info sessions from over 20 different colleges. The link to that is here.
March 9 & 10 our juniors will be taking the Ready to Work exam on their assigned day.
Beginning on March 15, all face to face students will be attending school 5 days per week. There will be four lunches scheduled each day to ensure safety and social distancing measures. Please see the schedule below for your specific lunch time.
Class of 2021--Special Announcements
- Please make sure you have ordered your cap and gown for the graduation ceremony this spring. Caps and gowns will be required to participate. Make sure you leave enough time for shipping.
Don't forget to check our website for additional information and updates!
Lunch Schedule Beginning March 15
Stay on Track
- Use PowerSchool to check your grades regularly.
- Use a planner or agenda to keep track of your assignments, tests, quizzes, and extracurricular activities.
- Take good notes in class.
- Make use of before and after school live help time with your teachers.
- Use the SC Discus free tutoring! Login through your ClassLink account on the main HS website.
- Make sure you use your study time wisely.
- Reach out for help if there is something you are struggling with!
Grade Level Information
- 9th Grade IGPs have finished. Please contact your counselor if you have questions.
- Don't forget to check out the Counseling department website for helpful hints as you finish out your freshman year!
- 10th Grade IGPs have finished. Please contact your counselor if you have questions.
- Don't forget to check out the Counseling department website for helpful hints as you finish out your sophomore year!
- Don't forget to check out the Counseling department website for helpful hints as you finish out your junior year!
- The Ready to Work test will take place on March 9 & 10.
- The school day SAT will take place on March 25 for those who registered for it during their IGP meeting.
- Major cord applications will come out later this spring. Keep an eye on your email!
- Please make sure that you have ordered your cap and gown! The cap and gown will be required for your graduation ceremony.
- Don't miss the scholarship information below in this newsletter.
- If you need a transcript sent, please make sure you log in to Naviance to request it. This includes mid-year transcript needs.
- March 9 & 10 students who did not pass one or more portions of the Ready to Work exam will retake those portions of the test.
- March 24 is a college visit or job shadow day. You will need documentation supporting that college visit or job shadow.
Activities and Clubs
- Face to face meetings are following appropriate social distance protocol and safety measures.
- Some clubs are holding virtual meetings.
- You can find club information in the weekly newsletter link on the main FMHS website.
- Club information is also available in the main commons area.
College and Career Readiness
- Mr. Young is our Career Development Facilitator. He is here to help you explore careers! Set up an appointment with him today! You can email him here.
- Check out the FMHS Calendar for information on upcoming virtual college visits.
- If you're looking for videos on Career and College Readiness, check out Mr. Young's YouTube Channel. This is the hub for previous sessions on college admissions, resume writing, athletic recruitment, and much more!
- We held information sessions on College Planning 101 and Scholarships and Financial Aid earlier this year. Check out the recordings!
- Students can sign up to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery on April 15. Sign ups are happening now through April 12. You can sign up for the test here.
FREE TUTORING INFORMATION
- Social Studies
- World Languages
- AP/SAT/ACT test prep
To access the tutoring, go to ClassLink, and enter your school email address and password. Next, click on SC Discus, then click on Tutor.com.
TUTOR MATCHING SERVICE
Tutor Matching Service provides a tutoring search engine with college students or recent graduates providing tutoring in multiple subject areas. The link is here.
*Please note that these resources are for your reference and are not a recommendation by FMHS staff.
- Complete career interest assessments
- Search for colleges based on your career interests
- Compare colleges and find your best fit
- Check your GPA
- Request transcripts be sent to your colleges
- Request letters of recommendation from FMHS teachers to be sent to your colleges
- Search for scholarships
You will find videos to walk you through how to log in to Naviance on YouTube! To log in click on Sign in with Clever and use your school email address and password.
- We have scholarships listed in Naviance and on this spreadsheet. Students need to log in to their FMSD account to access the spreadsheet.
- In the spring, the Fort Mill Foundation scholarships will also open up. Seniors should check their email for more information!
- College Board has an Opportunity Scholarship that students can enter by completing tasks that are part of the college/career search process. Find more information here!
- The Commission on Higher Education oversees the state Hope, Life, and Palmetto Fellows scholarships. Find more information here.
- Students can sign up for the ACT on a national test date here.
- Students can sign up for the SAT on a national test date here.
- Please make sure to check that your testing site is still open prior to arriving at the test site. Some sites have had to cancel due to COVID. You may have to travel farther than normal for an available test site.
- Students qualifying for Free/Reduced lunch can request a Fee Waiver in the counseling office.
- If students have an IEP or 504 their accommodations must be requested and approved by College Board and/or ACT. Please make sure that you are registering early to ensure there is adequate time for staff to send in the information. ACT and College Board will still have to review and approve or deny the requests.
School Dates to Note
- March 4 Virtual Career Fair
- March 9 & 10 Spring Ready to Work Exam
- March 10 End of 4th 6 Weeks
- March 12 Teacher Work Day
- March 19 4th 6 Weeks Report Cards Issued
- March 24 Spring SAT for Registered Juniors & College Visit/Job Shadow Day for Seniors
- March 31 M5 Midterms Handed Out
- April 5-9 Spring Break
Connect With Your Counselor
Mrs. Anne Anderson 9th A-K
Ms. Adrienne Long 9th Grade L-Z
Mr. Barry Ledford 10th-12th A-E
Mr. Andrew Griggs 10th-12th Grades F-L
Mrs. Courtney Kountz 10th-12th Grades M-R
Ms. Karen Castillo 10th-12th Grades S-Z
Mr. Edward Young Career Counselor
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram: @fmhscounseling