Ms. Mai's Class
Week 2 Reflections
Our classroom was buzzing with excitement when each student partnered up with a 4th grade student and read a book together. The kiddos are anxious to see their 4th grade buddies again!
Also, flexible seating has been fully implemented in our class. The students went through extensive training and know how to choose a spot that is comfortable and allows them to do their best work. They are excited and are taking the privilege very seriously.
It's amazing how much the students have accomplished in such a short amount of time!
Until next time,
Mon. 9/19 (Digital Day 5) - P.E./Media *library books due*
Tue. 9/20 (Digital Day 1) - P.E./Music
Wed. 9/21 (Digital Day 2) - Art
Thu. 9/22 (Digital Day 3) - Technology
Fri. 9/23 (Digital Day 4) - P.E./Music
9/19/16 Scholastic Book Orders Due
9/20/16 Health Screening (We still need volunteers!)
9/27/16 Picture Day
What did we work on this week?
- Skip counted by 2s, 5s, and 10s.
- Represented tally marks using craft sticks
- Created individual number racks (rekenreks)
- Quickly recognized how many objects in a collection
Watch this video so you have a better understanding of our new math curriculum:
We launched our 6-week health unit on Monday using the Second Step curriculum. Check out what the children learned from Puppy and Snail this week:
Monday - Lesson 1: Listen to Learn
Tuesday - Lesson 2: Focusing Attention
Wednesday - Lesson 3: Following Directions
Thursday - Lesson 4: Self-Talk for Learning
Friday - Lesson 5: Being Assertive
While the home links sent home this week were optional, I highly encourage you to sit down with your child to complete some or all of the activities. They reinforce the skills for academic and social success that we are teaching and practicing in school.
Book orders are due on Monday 9/19/16!
Don't forget to enter the Class Activation Code: H9Z4P for free shipping directly to Birchview. Click on the button below to place your order.
Want additional reading practice at home?
Password: (student's last name)
Please email me if you need assistance in setting up this app. I'm always willing to stay after school!
Homework (Green Folder)
- After completing homework, your child should place the homework assignment back in the green folder to be returned the following school day.
- You may wish to keep the monthly specialist schedule in your child's green folder.
- Any notes or forms for me that need to be turned in should also be placed inside the green folder.
- All other papers (flyers, notes to families, corrected work, etc) should be taken out and kept at home.
- If your child forgets their homework assignment at home, please do not make a special trip to school to turn it in for them. It's part of the learning process and part of internalizing responsibility. Let's allow them to make mistakes and to then learn from them.