September 16, 2016
- Number Talks Professional Learning - remember to sign up in Google
- 3rd Grade Literacy Planning Day - Jefferson Room 303
- DRA Training 3:45 - 5:00
- BOE Meeting 6:00
- Kindergarten Planning Day - Jefferson Room 303
- PRIDE Assembly
- Club Day (9:15 - 10:45 and 1:15 - 2:45) - Will send out a detailed email next week
Important Upcoming Dates/Events
- Tuesday, Sept 27 from 4:00 - 6:00 - Family Literacy Festival
Requests and Reminders
- We are going to be cleaning out the storage room located at the back left corner of the gym. If you have stored items in there, please remove these items or label them so we know who they belong to. Anything that is not labeled by Fall Break will be given away or trashed! :)
- If you have an easel in your room that you are not using, please let me know! We have two new teachers in need of one.
- JANA - don't forget to send me your Action Team members for your grade level.
- You should have received an email letting you know who your evaluator is for this school year. If you didn't receive an email. let us know!
- Want to fill someone's bucket? Thank them with a note on the thank you board! It would be great to fill the board to celebrate each other.
Target grants for are available through Oct. 1. They will give $700 to schools to be used for field trips. Jackson has won this grant in the past, and the link to apply is below if you are interested in going for it this year. Target is offering several of these grants and is willing to give more than one to a district. Let me know if you have questions or need any help.
Upcoming Planning Days
Below are the dates for the upcoming planning days. These will be an opportunity for you to come together with other teachers across the district to plan for the 2nd Nine Weeks. These are full day planning days. Ashley will be with most of you during this time. You will also have the PD day in October to finalize units to meet the specific needs of our Adams students.
Upcoming Faculty Meeting
This discussion can take place over lunch, during planning time or could be the focus of your collaborative agenda this week.
Observations Begin Next Week
We will begin observations next week. Below you will find important information and resources to use as you begin thinking about your observations this year.
- Philip has created a TEAM Materials file in Google Drive where you can access the lesson plan template, sample lesson plans, and rubrics.
- You will be expected to use TNCompass to input self scores prior to the post-conference. The website is https://tdoe.tncompass.org. If you are a new teacher, you will need to register.
- The NIET Best Practice website (www.nietbestpractices.org) is a great resource to watch sample lessons and participate in training modules centered around the rubric.
- The Team website (www.team-tn.org) is another great resources. Specifically, you can find valuable resources on the IPI pages (http://team-tn.org/ipi/ipi-for-teachers/ and http://team-tn.org/ipi/ipi-resources/)
- We just received word that DB's Graduation Rate Achievement Score was a 5 this past year. YAY!! We will pick our new measure for the 2016-2017 school year in October. Be thinking about what you want to select for your 15%.
Upcoming Literacy Trainings
This training takes place at the beginning of the DRA window. This course will be helpful to new teachers and is a great refresher course for all teachers on administering the Developmental Reading Assessment.
When: Tuesday, September 20, from 3:45-5:00
Where: TN Room, ASC- 400 Clinchfield Street, Suite 200
Participants: K-5 Teachers
A Note from Ashley
Several weeks ago we discussed the importance of creating learning paths to support a learning target. I have seen evidence of this continued work through collaboratives and walk-throughs. This is a great time to self-assess individually and as a team. How are you progressing in this work? Is it part of your weekly planning conversations? Do you need support in getting started? Creating a learning path in order to define a target of learning for students can help you differentiate for students, formatively assess, and ultimately determine summative grades for your students. It can also become a powerful tool in communicating progress with parents and students. Let me know how I can support your team in this work!
Schedule for next week:
Monday- Jackson, Number Talks PD at ASC 3:45-5:00
Tuesday- 3rd Grade ELA District Planning at Jefferson
Wednesday- Jackson 8:00-11:45; Adams 1:00-3:30
Thursday- K District Planning at Jefferson
Friday-Adams 9:00-10:30 3-5 vertical planning; 1:30-3:00 K-2 vertical planning