Chowan River Basin
Lutfiah Alwahishi May 12, 2016
- Rich Square
Headwaters Located: Black-Water and NottoWay rivers meet
Emptys?: Out to the Atlantic Ocean.
791 total miles of rivers and streams
1,298 square miles is the overall size
Native Animal Species
Shortnose Sturgeon (Acipenser brevirostrum)
Triangle Floater (Alasmidonta undulata)
Grey Fox (Urocyon Cinereoargenteus)
Native Plant Species
Red Maple (Acer Rubrum)
Bald Cypress (Taxodium Distichum)
- Bennett's Millpond Paddle Trail
- Chowan Swamp Game Land
- GatesVille Water Front Park
- Wiccacon River Trail
- Nutrients have been and continue to be a significant issue in the Chowan River basin.
- No producers were found to be adjusting commercial fertilizer application rates to account for the nutrient value of animal waste that was being applied.
- Each day, sewage treatment plants in the Chowan River/Dismal Swamp coastal watershed discharge a combined 4.7 million gallons of wastewater containing excessive levels of nitrogen and phosphorus pollution.