Invasion of Privacy
Schools Invading on the Privacy of Their Students
Schools and Students
Transgender bathroom rights in schools
- May 2016, Obama administration directed public schools in the U.S. to ensure transgender students that they are allowed to use school bathrooms and locker rooms of their choice
- parents think that the new law puts their children at risk
- Advocates for transgender rights say that this is a breakthrough for civil rights
- Some students feel violated, some don't care
- 2014, High school student from Virginia- female to male -notified the school and started using the boys bathroom
- Adults in the community became outraged- dangerous precedent for female safety
- Grimm says, "All I want to do is be a normal child and use the restroom in peace, and I have no problems from students to do that—only from adults."
- The school board banned her Grimm's use of the boys bathroom- lawyers
filed and one an appeal.
- The court issued a halt- Grimm will use the unisex bathroom until the court hears the case
"At one time it had been a sign of madness to believe that the earth goes around the sun; today, to believe that the past was unalterable" (Orwell 80.)
It's All Political Quotes
"That the world contains many things... power structures, relations among classes, issues of justice and rights, interactions between the sexes and among various racial and ethnic constituencies."