Lewis Elementary Parent Newsletter September 2016
Welcome to a New School Year!
A couple of reminders that help our arrival and dismissal times go smoothly:
- School begins at 8:43. Please make sure your child is in class by this time so they don't miss out on any announcements or activities.
- Preschool parents will need to walk their children to the classroom door each morning. It is a rule of the program. K-5 students walk themselves to class, with staff members ready to assist at any time.
- If you need to speak with a teacher before school starts, stop by the office and we will call the teacher.
- If your child needs to go home in a different manner than their usual routine, please call the office by 3:15 (2:15 on Wednesdays). We intercom each classroom with the announcements before the teachers begin walking students outside. After 3:35 it is very difficult to hear with all the noise of busses, cars, and people talking.
- If your car is along the school side of the curb out front, please stay in your car and let us load your child as you move up in front of the big telephone pole and crosswalk. This helps the car rider line move quickly and everyone can be on their way as soon as possible.
- Thank you for your patience and friendly help out in front. With little to no parking space on a city street, we have to be patient and careful to make sure the students load in cars and walk home safely.
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Snack Program
September 5 - No School, Labor Day
September 12 - PALS Meeting 4:00pm
September 16 - Lewis Night at Tigers Football Game 6:30pm
September 21 - Mid Quarter Reports go home
October 7-18 Cookie Dough Fundraiser
October 14 - Homecoming
October 25 - 1st Quarter Report Cards go home
November 3 and 4 - Parent Teacher Conferences
Attendance Extremely Important to School Success
Meet School Resource Officer Renne
Lewis Night at Tiger Football
Looking for Donations...
- cardboard tubes, any size
- styrofoam meat trays - any color, any size - make sure they are CLEAN
- corks, spools, yarn, string, wire
I would very much appreciate donations of these items! Just drop them off at the office when you have some to donate. Just say it's for Mrs. Rice and anyone in the office will know where to take it. Thank you very much!
PALS Meeting Sept. 12 at 4:00pm
Agenda items will include:
- Final plans for Lewis Night at Tiger Football
- Title I Reading presentation
Meet the Kindergarten Team
Free Programs for Kids at MCPL
September 10, 2016, Saturday at 3:00 PM – 3:45 PM
Learn karate from a black belt master. Sensei Ray Stapleton of Tiger-Dragon Karate Club shares a brief history of martial arts and demonstrates self-defense techniques suitable for anyone ages 4 to 100.
(Ages 4 and up) Registration is required.
September 17, 2016, Saturday at 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Make your own terraqua - a terrestrial and aquatic habitat in a bottle - and discover a wonderful way to recycle, reuse, and grow things.
(Ages 10 and up) Registration is required