Serving from Each Group
David Basurto, Jacquelin Macias
What are the five food groups?
The five food group categories are Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Dairy, Proteins and foods.
- The vegetables category contains, vegetables and legumes/beans.
- The Fruit category contains apples, grapes, orange juice, bananas.
- The Grains category contains grain (cereal) foods, mostly wholegrain and/or high cereal fibre varieties.
- The Dairy category contains milk, yoghurt cheese and/or alternatives, mostly reduced fat.
- The Proteins and Food category contains lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds legumes/beans.
How many servings from each food group do I need each day?
Based on a 2,000-calorie daily food plan, you need to eat:
- 2.5 cups of vegetables
- 2 cups of fruit
- 6 ounces of grains
- 3 cups dairy
- 5.5 ounces of protein and food