8th Grade & Beyond (Issue #2)
Project: "Moving Forward" is in FULL Motion
Key Dates Regarding the Magnet School Lottery
The Lottery letters were distributed to Southwest Middle School 8th grade students Friday, December 12th. The letters indicate your child's school ID number and their pin number, as well as details of the necessary steps parents/guardians need to take to participate in the Magnet School Lottery process.
Below are key dates for the 2015-16 school year:
Students new to CMS may begin enrolling for the 2015-16 school year: mid October 2014
Last day for students new to CMS to enroll and be eligible for the First School Options Lottery: January 12, 2015
Student Assignment Notification letters begin arriving in homes: first week of December 2014
Application period for the first lottery: December 5, 2014 – January 26, 2015 at 10:00pm
School Options Fair at Phillip O. Berry Academy of Technology: January 10, 2015 from
9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Lottery notification letters for first lottery arrive in homes: mid February 2015
Request for Reassignment period for 1st lottery: December 5, 2014 - March 20, 2015
Students new to CMS enrollment period for second lottery: January 13, 2015 – May 15, 2015
Student Assignment Notification letters for the second lottery begin arriving in homes: mid March 2015
Application period for second lottery: March 9, 2015 – June 5, 2015 at 10:00pm
Request for Transfer period for current CMS students and students who future enrolled by January 12, 2015: December 5, 2014 - July 16, 2015
Request for Transfer period for students who future enrolled after January 12, 2015: February 23, 2015 - July 16, 2015 (Student Placement will enter these enrollments between February 23, 2015 - May 29, 2015)
Request for Reassignment Period for the second lottery: June 22, 2015 - July 16, 2015 (Once families receive their Student Assignment Notification letters, they may go online to submit a Request for Reassignment/Transfer)
Lottery notification letters for second lottery arrive in homes: late June 2015
A, B, Cs and 1, 2, 3s of transitioning to high school....
Be intentional! Time is of the essence when planning for your child's high school career. Take time to peruse the websites of the schools you are considering for your child. Reach out to the potential high school/counselors to ask specific questions, schedule a tour or attend one of their Open House events. Consider your child's true abilities, skills and their career interests when deciding which school may be a best fit for your child. Most of allow your child to have input. Though you have the power of the PIN#, discuss available options with your child before participating in the Magnet Lottery process.
Contact the school (i.e. front office staff, Mrs. Dunton-Forbes or Ms. Brown) if you have miss placed you child's lottery PIN number. The lottery process is just that a LOTTERY. Those who input their selections at the beginning of the lottery period DO NOT have precedence over those who make their selection just before the deadline. The most important factor is that your selection is made before the deadline!
1. A change of address resulting in a different school assignment will automatically void a submitted magnet application during the lottery. After the family's address has been updated, another lottery application reflecting the student's new address may be submitted to be considered during the lottery selection process.
2. The second lottery is an opportunity to fill any vacant magnet seats remaining after the first lottery. Families may participate in the second lottery application process even if they participated in the first lottery; however, outcomes from participating in the second lottery void first lottery results.
Participating in the second lottery is best for:
- New families to the district who were not eligible to participate in the first lottery.
- Families who have reconsidered school options and wish to make new choices. If magnet school choice selections for the second lottery are the same, it is best NOT to submit a second lottery application.
3. Reassignment/Transfer Process for the 2015-16 School Year
- First lottery participants who are interested in requesting a reassignment must do so by March 20, 2015
- Second lottery participants must submit their request by July 16, 2015
- Those interested in submitting a request for a transfer must do so by July 16, 2015 in order to receive notification of whether or not your request has been approved before the start of the new school year. Additional deadlines for a request for a transfer can be found on the CMS website under the Student Placement tab.
Upcoming Important Dates.....
- Project: "Moving Forward" (High School Information Night).......Tuesday, January 13, 2015 (6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
- 1st Semester Honor Roll Ceremony.......Tuesday, February 10, 2015 (9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.)
- Carowinds Day...............Monday, April 27, 2015
- Fever Week.................June 5-10, 2015 (Parents interested in be a part of the planning committee should contact Ms. Brown or Mrs. Dunton-Forbes)
-Parents are able to find out if their child's potential magnet high school has an established carpool network.
Cardinal Innovations Health Care Solutions www.cardinalinnovations.org
-Parents are able to find resources for managing mental health, intellectual/developmental disabilities and substance use/addiction services.
Teen Health Connections www.teenhealthconnection.org
-Parents are able to secure comprehensive medical and mental health care and prevention and health education services for adolescents ages 11 to 22. Teen Health Connection is a medical home that delivers unique, coordinated, quality health care in a safe family centered environment (Since 1992).
College Foundation of North Carolina www.cfnc.org
-College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) is a free service of the State of North Carolina that HELPS STUDENTS PLAN, apply, and pay for college. CFNC is a partnership of Pathways, the N.C. State Education Assistance Authority, and College Foundation, Inc.