Home of the Glen Grove Gators - December 4, 2020
Adaptive Pause - Remote Learning until January 19, 2021
Tuesday, December 8
PTA Meeting on Zoom - 6:00 pm
Meeting ID: 869 7676 9731
Monday, December 14
Board of Education Meeting on Zoom - 7:30 pm
Zoom link will be posted on www.glenview34.org
Monday, December 18 - Friday, January 1
Winter Break - No School
Monday, January 4
School Resumes in Remote Learning
From the Principal's Desk
Hello Glen Grove Families,
I hope my note finds you and your children acclimating to our temporary pivot back to remote learning as best you can. At Glen Grove, we are certainly missing the children and the energy they bring that transforms a mere building into a school! Having said that, I want to acknowledge the hardship these changes cause for our families and thank you for your continued support.
My one reminder this week is about attendance, as this topic seems to be source of confusion this school year, particularly. We understand that learning from home poses unique strains on families, but we must have a way of tracking and monitoring student attendance so that we can respond to and support students who are missing classes or simply missing. This is a responsibility we do not take lightly. So please note the following regarding attendance when our students are learning remotely.
- Student attendance will continue to be taken every day at approximately: 7:55 AM for the morning session (except on Wednesdays) and at approximately 12:20 PM for the afternoon session (except on Wednesdays), and we will continue to take attendance for all at around 8:55 AM on Wednesdays.
- Please call the Glen Grove Health office if your student is going to be absent due to illness or a scheduled appointment. Letting the teacher know is not enough; it is necessary to please let the health office know, as well. The GG Health Office direct line is: 847-657-2394.
- If your student is marked absent, you will receive a check-in call from Mrs. Hastings, our school RN. If Mrs. Hastings is unable to reach you, your student will receive an “Unexcused Absence” which we can change to an “Excused Absence,” but only AFTER we make contact with you regarding the absence.
- If your student misses the check-in meeting referenced above but subsequently joins his/her content area classes, we will make an attempt to change the indication of “absent” to “present” in our database. Please note that although we monitor attendance throughout the day in our own internal spreadsheets, it would be incumbent upon each individual teacher to remember to notify the health office each time a student was present for part of the day throughout the day (as the health office will have already entered the absence into our District data base), and that is not a realistic system on which to rely. We ask you, our families, to help our students be present at their check-in meetings where formal attendance is taken AND to notify your student’s homeroom teacher, via email, if a student will be in class for part of the day, only.
Thank you, in advance for your help with attendance.
I end by wishing you a Happy December, and I think we can all agree that December - being the FINAL month of 2020 - makes it an even happier one!
Welcome Back Assistant Principal Stephanie Shefler!
Hello GG Parents!
Happy December! It is my hope that this message finds you well.
Having recently returned from maternity leave, I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce or reintroduce myself to our wonderful Glen Grove parent community.
For those of you with fourth and fifth graders, I am fortunate enough to know you and your student, from my time as an assistant principal at Glen Grove last school year. For those of you with third graders, it is exciting for me to once again work with your children, as I was their assistant principal at Westbrook, when they were first graders. It has been wonderful to catch up and see students in person at Glen Grove, and I now look forward to seeing their smiling faces on zoom, these next few weeks of adaptive pause!
Additionally, I wanted to remind the parent community that part of my role as assistant principal is overseeing the student services department at Glen Grove School. This includes the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) process, as well as student 504 plans. If you ever have questions or concerns in regards to student services, special education processes, or your child's existing plan, please contact me.
Working collaboratively to best support your child's educational experience at Glen Grove is always a priority, and I hope you will not hesitate to reach out, should you need anything.
Technology Support during Remote Learning
For immediate help during remote learning, call (847) 998-5075 between 9:00 am - 2:30 pm, Monday - Friday.
Touch Free Pick Up
Items scheduled for pick up will be placed on a cart in the vestibule at Door A (near the Office).
Pick Up Days: Monday - Friday (except school holidays)
Pick Up Times: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Westbrook + Glen Grove PTA
Thanks to the EXTREMELY generous support of the entire school community, WB/GG PTA's Holiday Helpers program has reached its $12,000 goal! As even better news, we will be providing ADDITIONAL FUNDS for each family! They will receive $50 for Jewel (instead of $25) and $65 for Target (instead of $50)! PTA is SO GRATEFUL for the parents, teachers, staff, administrators, neighbors, and friends who donated to this program, as well as the many Westbrook and Glen Grove families who enrolled in the program. What a wonderful school community we have all around! A special thanks, too, to our fantastic parent volunteer, Anne Engro, who has guided the Holiday Helper program this year. We appreciate all of your thought, time, and kindness!
As an expression of gratitude for 2020, WB/GG PTA has created this ThankUGram to share:
PTA wishes EVERYONE a merry holiday season filled with joy and special moments. Enjoy!
Health Office Information
Students requiring any medications during school hours must file an "Authorization & Permission for Administration of Medicine" form with the health office. This form requires a physician’s signature as well as a parent’s signature. This form can be found here, under the Health section on the Forms & Documents page on the district website. All medication brought to school must be in an appropriately labeled pharmacy container. This also includes over-the-counter medicine such as Tylenol, Advil, cough drops, etc.
All student absences should be called into the health office at (847) 657-2394! In addition, please call if you will be bringing your child in late or picking them up early. The school has voicemail so parents can call the health office to leave messages at any time.
Do You Need a Thermometer?
Sign up now to receive your FREE smart thermometer.
- Text FLUENCY to 900900
- Open the link to download the free Kinsa app
- Finish signing up in the Kinsa app
Regístrese ahora para recibir un termómetro inteligente GRATIS.
- Textea la palabra FLUENCY al 900900
- Abre el enlace para descargar la aplicación gratuita Kinsa
- Regístrese a través de la aplicación Kinsa
When your child comes to Glen Grove,
the student self-assessment needs to be completed BEFORE YOUR STUDENT LEAVES FOR SCHOOL so that it shows up in our system by the time your child arrives.
Thank you in advance - this eliminates the need for your child to stand in line unnecessarily!
Log in to District 34's PowerSchool web portal before leaving for school, to complete the self-certification tool for each student who is attending school in person.
Click on the SUBMIT SELF-ASSESSMENT link on the home page to submit your child’s temperature and answer questions about COVID-19 symptoms and exposure. Click submit. If you have multiple students in District 34 attending in person on the same day, click on each student to fill out the self-assessment for them as well.
When students arrive at school, the school staff will scan their ipad barcode or bus pass barcode to confirm completion of the self-certification process.
Please be sure to send your child to school with their iPad, water bottle and mask.
Masks are required at all times when students are in our buildings. The District has provided cloth masks for every student and staff member; disposable masks will be available in our buildings for those who need them.
If your child rides the bus, they must wear their mask and remain in their assigned seat.
Thank you for helping to keep our school safe!
We invite you to follow us on Twitter @GlenGroveSchool and on Facebook @GlenGroveD34 for news on student, classroom and school accomplishments, important updates, informational items, and a glimpse at amazing moments of teaching and learning. We also encourage you to share your Glen Grove school pride using the hashtags #glengroved34 and #WeAreD34.
District 34 Important Forms and Information
2020-2021 District 34 Parent Calendar (English)
2020-2021 District 34 Parent Calendar (Spanish)
Click Here for the following forms:
Authorization And Permission For Administration Of Medication
Bus Rider Reminders
Cell Phone Use Agreement and Permission Form
Dental Exam Form (completed for Kindergarten, 2nd, and 6th grades)
Dental Exam Waiver
District Policies/Handbook Info
Eye Exam Form
Eye Exam Waiver
Health Examination Form