GHMS Newsletter - 8/5/2022
Important Points for Parents
Message from the Principal
Bulldogs, I am so excited for this school year to start. I can not wait for the students to be filling these hallways and classrooms again.
- Schedules are live!!! Be sure to take look at your child's schedule.
- Lockers - GHMS will not be using lockers this year. I know this is a decision that may upset some families. For that, I am sorry. Class sets of textbooks will be used, and all of our textbooks can be accessed on line. This year each classroom will have a Chromebook cart, so students will not even be carrying their own Chromebook from class to class like they did last year. We have new classroom desks with hooks that can hold their bookbags while class is going on. Not using lockers allows us to minimize our transition and maximize our class time. We will be working with our teachers to help minimize supplies needed for each class. As we do in any case, we will continue to monitor this situation.
- 6th Grade - WEB Day - "Where Everybody Belongs" - Special shoutout to our WEB leaders who were giving up some of their last days of summer to come in train and welcome our new 6th graders. WEB Day will be for rising 6th graders on Tuesday, August 9 from 8:10 until 12:00. Reminder to bring a bag lunch.
- Transportation - Bus routes and times are posted on the transportation website. Be sure to take a look.
- Lunch - The federal government has decided to end the free meals for all students this school year. While we had hoped the program would be extended and free for all students, we are working hard to keep costs down for all families. Due to the expiration of this program, the Fort Mill School District will offer student meals at the same prices prior to the pandemic listed below for the coming school year.
- Breakfast - $1.35
- Lunch - $2.50 or $3.00 depending on selection
- Free and Reduced Meal Prices - The district will be providing free and reduced priced meals for all who qualify. More information about how to apply for this program can be found on the Student Nutrition website or by clicking here. The district encourages all families to complete this application, even if you do not feel you will qualify.
- Meet the Teacher will be Wednesday, August 10 starting at 5:30. See schedule below.
- Here is the link to Parent Portal.
Doodle For Google Winner
Carolyn, we are so proud of you! Keep up the great work!
Voluntary SC student accident insurance and dental insurance
Free Tutoring through Discus
Please see below for free tutoring offered by the State through tutor.com
As we move into the last few months of the school year, some students may find themselves in need of additional academic support. The South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) and the South Carolina State Library (SCSL) are partnering to offer free online tutoring services, provided by Tutor.com, to any student in South Carolina. In addition to tutoring in content areas, students may also drop off papers for review, seek help in test preparation, or ask specific questions about their work. The around-the-clock service is available seven days per week.
Students can access Tutor.com through Discus (students must access it this way – if they just go to tutor.com if may not work). Every student has a link for Discus on their ClassLink LaunchPad. Elementary students have SC Discus Kids, and middle/ high have SC Discus. See pictures of the icons below.
School Counseling Information!
Click here for the Counselor's Corner Newsletter for more information from your school counselors.
Ms. Lisa Ross, 6th grade
Mrs. Ashley DiMaggio, 7th grade
Mr. Marc Wesseling, 8th grade
Please take a minute and complete the two forms below. The first form provides the school with early dismissal, transportation and student pick-up information. The second form provides the school with information if your child would like to walk/bike to and from school. The data from these forms is captured confidentially for the front office at GHMS only. Click on the link to complete.
Early Dismissal, Transportation & Pick-Up Information