What is the role of a Visual Merchandiser otherwise known as a VM?
Chanel window display in Paris
Working Hours and Salaries
The average visual merchandiser can expect to work around 37- 40 hours per week, working Monday to Friday. Overtime including early starts and late finishes are fairly common due to the fact that most work must be completed with the hours of the store being closed.
In relation to income and salaries, a newly qualified VM can expect to earn £12,000 to £18,00 per annum which is likely to increase based on experience. Experienced VM's can earn between £20,000 and £27,00 per year with senior roles starting at £30,000.
There are many different employment opportunities within the visual merchandising job market that are surprisingly not just in fashion. For example, visual merchandisers could work in a museum, an airport, a hotel or at different tourist attractions creating their visual displays. In addition to this, visual merchandiser can also design store layouts or create one-off displays as they do not only design window displays.
Skills Needed to be a Sucessful VM
- An imaginative and creative eye;
- Enthusiasm and interest in current and upcoming trends;
- Good attention to detail;
- Sufficient interpersonal/ interactional skills;
- Ability to work within a variety of different teams;
- Expertise with colour, style and design;
- Ability to think constructively regarding criticism;
- Ability to work well under pressure and within a deadline;
- Effective skills regarding negotiation;
- Good artistic abilities (sculpting and painting);
- Good planning abilities.
Daily Life/ Responsibilities
- Checking daily updates and e-mails in regards to the store in question;
- Calculating how much money previous displays made the store in order to help determine upcoming store layouts;
- Walk throughs of the shop floor accompanied by the store manager to find out what the potential aims for the store are;
- Rearranging and innovating departments to make them more visually appealing;
- Creating and assembling window displays (however sometimes displays can be pre-determined by senior visual merchandisers);
- Liaising with senior staff members to update them with the changes to the store and to receive feedback;
- Visiting other store branches to see their visual displays;
- Assembling displays within the store (visual or window displays);
- Asking colleagues for constructive feedback in order to make the appropriate changes.
- Fashion buying and merchandising degree;
- Previous VM experience;
- Interior design knowledge;
- Degree in textiles;
- Good knowledge of fine art or fashion design.
YouTube. 2016. Asante Â· Visual Merchandiser Zara - YouTube. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itpSwQ_7DNg. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
The Workher. 2016. A Day In The Life of a Visual Merchandiser - The Workher. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.theworkher.com/day-in-the-life/visual-merchandiser/. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
National Careers Service. 2016. Visual Merchandiser Job Information | National Careers Service . [ONLINE] Available at: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/VisualMerchandiser.aspx. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
retaildesignblog. 2016. visual merchandising » Retail Design Blog. [ONLINE] Available at: http://retaildesignblog.net/category/visual-merchandising/. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
Prospects. 2016. Visual merchandiser job profile | Prospects.ac.uk. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/visual-merchandiser. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
firstname.lastname@example.org. 2016. Burberry "Christmas Balloons" Christmas Window Display 2012 - Best Window Displays. [ONLINE] Available at: http://thebwd.com/burberry-christmas-balloons-christmas-window-display-2012/. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
Pop Attack. 2016. christian loouboutin selfridges | Pop Attack. [ONLINE] Available at: https://popattackbrandretail.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/visual-merchandising/christian-loouboutin-selfridges/. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
The Telegraph. 2016. Selfridges Christmas window displays through the ages - GoodLife. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/goodlife/living/selfridges-christmas-window-displays-through-the-ages/. [Accessed 21 September 2016].
Jeff Grant, 1995. The Budget Guide to Retail Store Planning and Design. 2nd Edition. ST Media Group International Inc..
Dimitri Koumbis, 2014. Fashion Retailing: From Managing to Merchandising (Basics Fashion Management). Edition. Fairchild Books.