Welcome to Omaha Virtual School
Onboarding 5 of 6
Introduction to OLS
Learners and learning coaches will need to complete the course together prior to the first day of school. It is mandatory for all learners and learning coaches to complete the course. It will take an average of 1-2 hours for completion of the orientation materials.
Changes to the OLS
- Works on any device
- Adapts to all different screen sizes
- Mobile-first design
- Easy to navigate
- Intuitive interface to help you work faster
- Modern and clean l New fonts, layouts, and color
- Better accessibility for those using assistive technologies
Tools for Success
1) Omaha Virtual School has some great resources on our school website under Parent Links. There are different training opportunities recorded for LCs to watch plus links to K12 specific tutorials on how to do attendance, navigate the weekly schedule, etc.
2) Stay up to date on school happenings through the weekly newsletter through Smore- each week includes announcements, upcoming events, happenings in the classroom and more.
3) K12's website is helpful in navigating the curriculum with tutorials and customer support
4) Trouble with your student's device? The Omaha Public Schools help desk can provide technical support on the HP Stream and 612 device (hardware) that is provided to students. For technical support, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who do we go to for help?
Core Values: Self-Advocacy
What does it look like? Learners and learning coaches should ask questions or ask for help when they are in need of assistance. As much as we would like to be able to read minds, we are not present daily to see the signs of a struggling learner. It is important to ask for help when those struggles start as pebbles rather to when they grow to boulders.
We value self-advocacy as it is a skill that helps throughout a life time. The ability to ask for help when in trouble can alleviate worries and stress down the road. Self advocacy can be taught with lots of practice, eventually turning into a useful habit for life.
Does your learner advocate for their needs? What struggles does your learner have that may need more practice? How will you assist your student in becoming better at self-advocating? Take the time to discuss these questions at home to have a better understanding on how they match our core values.
Upcoming Orientation Schedule
K-10th GradeA PARENT ONLY orientation will be held August 1-7th for NEW and RETURNING families of kindergarten-10th grade students. During the parent orientation session, staff will review updated policies and procedures in our student hand book. We have enhanced our procedures for the upcoming school year, so it is important that all families attend. Please sign up HERE for the session you are planning to attend.
First Week of School
Wednesday, August 15th, from 8:30-12:30 - first day of school for OVS High
Learners and learning coaches will attend the first day of school together, from 8:30-12:00 with a school-wide picnic at noon, so pack your lunches! Learning coaches, come prepared with your own device, if you have one. Devices will be distributed to learners on this day.
Thursday, August 16th, from 8:30-12:30- Only NEW OVS High students
This is to ensure that students are comfortable with the curriculum and content. Learning coaches can drop in from 8:30-9:30 for additional support and to answer questions/concerns.
Friday, August 17th- Online class sessions
This will be an opportunity for learners to test the online learning system from HOME.
The schedule will be shared with learners on the first day of school.
The regular scheduled class sessions will begin the next week with Tuesday and Thursday sessions occurring on Tuesday, August 21st and Thursday, August 23rd from 8:30-12:30pm.
Omaha Virtual School
Mission: OVS is committed to empowering life-long learners by developing collaborative relationships. Within our community, we provide an innovative, personalized learning experience. Success in this mission will cultivate critical thinkers who have the tools to contribute to a changing global society.
Vision: Future ready, today.
Core Values: Growth Mindset, Positivity, Collaboration, Integrity, Accountability, Self-Advocacy