Together in Learning and Faith
March 15, 2020
OLA Classes are Cancelled
As per directive from Chief Health Officer and Alberta Education
This announcement comes with serious impacts on families. Please know you are in our prayers. Class cancellations also bring many questions such as when children can pick up their materials and when will schools open again. Thank you for your patience as we work through these questions and many more, and work to provide you with answers. We will be working closely with EICS and continuing to take guidance from Alberta Education and the Chief Health Officer.
We will continue to Love. First. Last and Always. Our hearts are with you as we journey this newness together. We are in uncharted territory, and we are grateful our Faith community is strong. Support each other, connect with each other using technology and thank you for continuing to spread love and support for all in need.
Model for your children your calm in troubled waters. Show your children how to love and care for others, how to connect and be strong. Invite your children to be part of prayer and hope. So much can be learned about ourselves, our strengths and compassion in times of need. Let us be strong together. Let us be strong in Christ.
We are proud of our amazing OLA community and we know we will navigate this new trajectory together. Christ will calm the waters, and we invite him into our boat as we travel.
Coronavirus Information in EICS
We are striving to keep everyone up to date as much as possible on how EICS is effectively dealing with coronavirus pandemic throughout our division. Moving forward, instead of relying on messaging via emails, we will be sharing all updates directly as they become available throughout the day on our EICS website on the coronavirus page and there is a new announcement posted. Please visit the EICS Coronavirus website.
You are encouraged to return to the site throughout the coming days
as new information is added to the site.
Thank you for being our partner in keeping our Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School community safe and healthy. God Bless.
There is a an update current to today - Please read
Keeping OLA Students and Staff Safe and Well
Moving Forward - OLA's Narrative
We will continue to keep OLA a joyful place to learn, and all activities occurring in school will continue for positive connections, rich learning and happy play.
Programs and event adjustments:
- School visitors, Parents, Family Members: There will be highly enforced limited access to the school. If you are picking up a child please go to the office and we will call him/her from class. If you are dropping something off, please leave it at the office and we will ensure it is delivered. Staff and students will be permitted in the hallways and classrooms. School visitors, parents, family members will be permitted in the front entrance or in the office. Thank you for your compliance and commitment to everyone's health and safety.
- Faith in Action Assemblies: Our weekly celebrations will be held in-class via announcements and/or video
- St. Andre Bessette Mentorship Program: is on hold and virtual/video connections are being explored.
- Three-Way Conferences: Are currently postponed and phone or video conferences are being explored for a later date.
- Non-Digital Evidence of Learning Portfolios: will be shared closer to the revised Conference dates to ensure this snapshot is as relevant as possible for conversations focused on learning.
- Field Trips: All will be rescheduled to a later date. Upcoming field trips such as Telus World of Science for Grade 1&2 on March 18th and Grade 3&4 Recreational Swimming on March 26th will be rescheduled. Until a new safety protocol standard is established, all field trips into the school or out of the school will be rescheduled.
- Power Options: Parent volunteers wishing to offer a workshop will be temporarily halted. Power Options will be offered by OLA staff.
- Priest Visits: Priest visits will recommence once a new standard is established that reinstates outside visitors to schools.
- Notes and Nachos Fundraiser: Will be postponed.
To be in compliance with directives from Alberta Education and the Alberta Chief Medical Office of Health, the following will be implemented:
- Keep child at home: If your child is experiencing respiratory illness symptoms fever, cough, fatigue, muscle aches, or symptoms of a mild cold or flu-like symptoms, please keep them home.
- Immediate pick up: If a child experiences respiratory illness symptoms such as fever, cough, fatigue, muscle aches, or symptoms of a mild cold or flu-like symptoms, while at school, a family member will be contacted to take the child home immediately.
- Water Fountains: All OLA water fountains are turned off. All water bottle filling stations are operational. It is imperative that children bring and use their own personal water bottle.
- Hand sanitation stations: We have increased the number of stations throughout the school.
- Hand washing and hygiene practices: These topics will continue to be reviewed and reinforced with staff and children. The more times we hear "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" the happier we all are!
- Coughing and Sneezing: We will continue to remind children to cough and sneeze into their arm/sleeve. Thank you for helping this become habit.
School Council Sponsored Events
- Milk Program Milk delivery will go ahead as scheduled for the next two weeks as milk has already been ordered. Thank you to Mme Gravelle, Mrs. Lukie and the SLS Faith and Wellness Team members for making these deliveries as no volunteers may enter the school at this time. Milk Program will pause on March 26, 2020.
- After Spring Break please ensure, if your child used to receive milk on Tuesday and Thursday, that they have an alternative drink option packed in their lunch. When more information becomes available we will let you know when the milk program will resume.
- School Council Meeting- Until further notice all in-person School Council meetings will be cancelled. We are currently exploring the option of having a remote digital meeting.
- Hot Lunch Program: Following Alberta Health recommendations, EICS board and the staff at OLA are doing everything they can to ensure our kids can be in a safe environment. This means we cannot have Hot Lunch. We are crediting back all orders placed for March 18th. The system is confusing and shows credits with a negative on your account. Session 3 ordering will also be postponed until further notice. If you have already placed orders for session 3, we will work on refunds when things settle. Thank you for understanding, if you have any questions or concerns please email me. Samledrew1@gmail.com
If you have any concerns or questions feel free to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping to Calm the Waters at Home
Help for Parents
Click here for a simple video for children about what a coronavirus is and how to stop the spread. Please ensure you talk with your child after the video to answer any questions.
Click here for 5 tips on how to help children deal with disturbing news, and ways you can help minimize the emotional impacts. Please consider limiting children's access to news and media. Developmentally they are not yet able to decipher what is fact and what is fiction and it becomes very overwhelming.
Consider these tips from Common Sense Media
- Keep the news away from children
- Stress that your family is safe (and school is safe)
- Be together and watch something cheery
- Pick a movie from Common Sense Media's most recommended for families
Growing Brains, Sharing Smiles
Join the Fun!
Baby Yoda - Learning Commons Fundraising Event!!!
The cutest baby in the universe is here! Baby Yoda!
Join local artist Tyler Dianocky as he guides you through this painting done with Acrylics on a 12" X 16" Canvas. Attendees can and are encouraged to add and change whatever they like in the painting. You can and will complete this painting! There will be a Stencil or image transfer for character assistance as well. No Drawing skills necessary. The painting can be simplified as well.
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Easy.
LOCATION: Fort Distillery
DATE: Monday, March 16th, 2020
TICKETS: $40 (save $5)
PAINTING: Baby Yoda
This is a fundraising event for OLA's Learning Commons and MakerSpace to create even more opportunities for deeper learning in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathmatics and Literacy. This space will also create rich opportunities for children to explore their interests, strengths and passions.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Thank you to Lorienna Scouten for organizing this event!
Great door prizes to win to say thank you for coming out.
Fairytale Beginnings PreSchool @ OLA
As shared in last week's newsletter, we are delighted to share that we are beginning a beautiful partnership with a local independent organization who will offer a Play Based, Faith Centered PreSchool at OLA. Below is contact and registration information:
A Fairytale Beginning Preschool is very excited to be moving forward with a collaboration with Our Lady of the Angels School. Starting this fall we will be offering 4 day a week programs (am or pm option) for 4 year olds. Registration for these will begin on Wednesday March18th, at 8:45am and will be on a first come first serve basis. For more information or to receive a registration package please contact our office at 780-912-1167 or email@example.com
All school fees are now past due.
If you have not already done so, please take a moment to visit your PowerSchool ParentPortal and ensure that all school fees have been paid. We appreciate your attention to any outstanding fees - thank you!
OLA Parish News
Archdiocese Response to Coronavirus
The Archbishop has called for Preventive Measures wherever Mass is celebrated. Please click here to read the letter released by the Archdiocese of Edmonton on March 11, 2020.
Stations of the Cross & Adoration at OLA Church
- 6:30 pm Stations of the Cross
- 7:00 pm Adoration & Reflection
Lenten Penitential Service April 3, 2020 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Looking Ahead . . .
Monday, March 16
- Read-A-Thon Pledge forms and Pledges due
- Faith in Action Message & Prayer shared directly to classrooms
Tuesday, March 17 - St. Patrick's Day
- Don't forget to wear some green!
- Pre-ordered milk delivery by SLS Faith Team
- Read-A-Thon Pledge forms and pledges due
Wednesday, March 18
- SLS Wellness Team Meeting last recess
- Hot Lunch - cancelled - Please ensure your child comes to school with snacks and a lunch
Thursday, March 19
- Pre-Ordered milk delivery by Mme Gravelle & SLS Wellness Team
Friday, March 20
- School Day for T/Th Pre-K Kinders
- Virtual In Class Faith in Action Prayers and Announcements
and a Little Further Ahead . . .
March 27 NO SCHOOL - DAY IN LIEU FOR INTERVIEWS
March 28 - April 5 SPRING BREAK - NO SCHOOL
April 3 Penitential Service 7:00 pm at OLA Church
April 6 Welcome Back from Spring Break!
To see what is coming even further ahead, please visit our website calendar.
You can check out our M/W Kinder calendar here,
and our Pre-K AM calendar here.