Eagle Band Family Newsletter
As usual, there is a LOT of information here, yet ALL of it pertains directly to our awesome band family! Be on the lookout for newsletters in your inbox near the first of each month!
In this issue:
- High School News (LNHS), including All-State results/honors
- Middle School News (HMS, SVMS)
- Boosters/Fundraising Update
- Upcoming Performances/Events
- Director Wish List
- Senior Spotlight
- Upcoming Auditions/Opportunities/Camps/etc.
- Directors Do Things, Too!
- Contact Information
If you do not wish to receive these updates, then please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.
If you wish to receive these updates at a different email address, then please follow this guide to subscribe.
1. High School News (LNHS)
High School All-State Band and Jazz Band Results
CONGRATULATIONS to the following students for earning ALL-STATE honors! This year's group set a new school record for placements in the All-State ensembles!
And...for the second year in a row, Liberty North has more students in the All-State Band than any other school in Missouri!!
These students will rehearse/perform at the 85th MMEA In-Service Workshop/Conference at the Margaritaville Resort in Osage Beach, MO next month:
Caiti Harts - Soprano Clarinet - 18th chair Band
Mateo Navarro - Tenor Saxophone - 1st chair Band
Braden Baker - Baritone Saxophone - 1st chair Band
Kayla Nelson - Horn - 4th chair Band
Nathan Dembski - Horn - 5th chair Band
Mason Burnett - Trombone - 1st chair Band
William Elling - Trombone - 2nd chair Band
Alex Brillhart - Tuba - 6th chair Band
Joshua Nelson - General Percussion - 4th chair Band
Grace Flener - General Percussion - 4th chair Orchestra
These students will be listed in the All-State program, and alternates may be called upon to participate if spots come available.
Sophia Selby - English Horn - 1st Alternate
Matt Dusin - Alto Saxophone - 2nd Honorable Mention
Emmanual Ealey - Alto Saxophone - 3rd Honorable Mention
John Walls - Tenor Saxophone - 2nd Honorable Mention
Emmanual Ealey - Baritone Saxophone - 1st Alternate
Gianna Garcia - Horn - 2nd Honorable Mention
Claire Bogaard - Horn - 6th Honorable Mention
Andrew McGuire - Trombone - 1st Honorable Mention
William Kanning - Tuba - 4th Honorable Mention
Mateo Navarro - Jazz Alto Saxophone - 1st Honorable Mention
Please bookmark libertynorthband.org, your 'one stop shop' for all things LNHS Bands!
Concert Black Performance Attire
2. Middle School News (HMS/SVMS)
It's not too late to contribute to Synergy House via the HMS Band. Synergy House is a short-term emergency shelter that serves young people ages 12-18 who are in crisis due to abuse, neglect, running away, abandonment and homelessness. Synergy’s clients represent a broad cross-section of the population spanning gender, age, race and six county lines in Kansas and Missouri. Most often, clients have annual family incomes of less than $25,000, making it difficult to access the variety of services they need through traditional means. We provide these services, which are so critical to the well-being of the family and community, to anyone that needs them regardless of ability to pay. On average, Synergy Services provides care for 20,000 individuals in our community.
HMS Band is collecting items (see below) now, and up until the HMS Band Concert on Tuesday, December 6th. Items may be brought to Mr. Dragen or given directly to the Synergy staff before the HMS Band Concert at Liberty North on December 6th at 7pm.
3. Band Boosters and Fundraising
The Liberty North Band Boosters are a group of parent volunteers, organized to:
- Support the students, directors, and families.
- Create a sense of community and encourage parent and student engagement in band activities.
- Raise funds to financially support band programs. (SEE BELOW!)
- Promote the program within the community.
The Boosters support ALL of our Band Family, grades 6-12! We are ALWAYS seeking more people to help!
Please contact Booster President Amy Konkle with questions, ideas, or to find out ways to get involved! firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mattress sale/fundraiser check presentation!
4. Recent/Upcoming LNHS, HMS, and/or SVMS Performances
- Tues., 12/6 - HMS Winter Band Concert (at LNHS)
- Wed., 12/7 - LPS MS Honor Symphony Orchestra Concert (at LNHS)
- Thurs.-Sat., 12/8-10 - High School All-District Band rehearsals and performances (Lee's Summit HS)
- Sat., 12/10 - MS and HS All-District Band rehearsals and performances (Lee's Summit HS)
- Tues., 12/13 - LN Bands Winter Concert (at LNHS)
- Fri., 12/16 - SVMS Winter Band Concert (at SVMS)
- Tues., 1/3 - LN Wind Symphony workshop (times TBD by Mr. Fuller)
- Sun., 1/22 - LN Wind Symphony MMEA Preview Concert (2:00 p.m. in the JPAT at LNHS; with special guests from MU, UCM, and Missouri State)
- Wed.-Sat., 1/25-28 - All-State Band/Jazz Band rehearsals and performance (Margaritaville Resort at Lake of the Ozarks)
- Fri., 1/27 - LN Wind Symphony performance at MMEA Conference (1:15 p.m.)
- Wed., 2/15 - LN Orlando trip meeting (7:00 p.m. in the JPAT at LNHS)
- Wed., 2/22 - HMS/SVMS/LNHS Band-O-Rama (7:00 p.m. in the LN Field House)
5. Wish List
- Vending machine for LNHS band room (to include reeds, oil, marching gloves, flip folder pages, etc.) - Cost unknown
- Semi trailer for transporting instruments, uniforms, etc. - Cost unknown
- Scholarship funding for HMS/SVMS/LNHS students - specifically, funds for summer band camps, honor ensemble participation, private lessons fees, etc. (These are NOT currently in place, so we would be looking for someone to help create them AND acquire ongoing funding for them.)
- New Eagle Band attire for the Directors/Coaches/Staff - Help us dress for success! (We cannot use our school budget money for this, so we would welcome funding for new polo shirts, matching staff jackets, hats, etc.)
- Korg CM300 Tuner Cords - We currently are short around 40 cords for the students we have. These are available in a variety of colors (black preferred, but not necessary) online and at local music stores - approx. $15-20 each
- New 6' silver flag poles for the guard - approx. $500-600 for 30 poles
- Two tarp carts for winter guard floor tarps - approx. $250 each
- Batteries - 9V, AAA, AA (You would be surprised how many of these we burn through in a year!) - Cost varies by unit
- Recruitment wristbands, stickers, candy, etc. - Cost varies by unit (contact Kelsee.Gardner@lps53.org to help with bracelets and/or stickers!)
- Gift cards - The Boosters/Directors can always use gift cards to local stores to benefit students for trips, special events, performances, equipment, etc.. (e.g., Walmart, Target, Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, Amazon, etc.)
- Used LPS Middle School Band Polos - If you have any gently-used, still in good condition, LPS middle school band polo shirts, then please consider donating them to one of the middle schools (Mr. Dragen at HMS or Ms. Gardner at SVMS)
6. Senior Spotlight
Favorite band memory - "My favorite band memory is Cameron Marchfest because we all had an amazing day playing cards and spending time with one another. It was fun to perform for a crowd that was excited about our marching. The best point was the bus ride home, though, because the air was electric and we were all thrilled with how the day had gone."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I love weightlifting and play club volleyball."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - Member of Wind Symphony for 4 years, serving as 1st chair French horn for 3Member of the Band Leadership and Service team, serving as a Librarian, for 3 years
Member of All District band for 3 years
Received a 1 ranking on 2 Solos, a Horn Trio, and a Brass Quintet
Played in the William Jewell Wind Festival for 3 years
Played in UCM’s Brass Symposium for 2 years
Played in the Liberty Summer Band for 2 years
Favorite band memory - "One of my favorite guard memories was when we were promoted at our first competition."
Something interesting/unique about me - "Something interesting and unique about me that others may not know is I swing dance."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "I was a captain of the guard team last year."
Favorite band/guard memory - "My favorite guard memory is warming up with the rifle line before half time and everyones practicing their perfect sound effects that we use throughout the routine to make checkpoints more fun."
Something interesting/unique about me - "Something interesting about me that other might not know is that I’m in the early college program and do not take any High school classes except 1st hour band."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "I got awarded outstanding saber the the Missouri State Bands Alive camp."
Favorite band/guard memory - "Meeting my best friends in freshman year band camp"
Something interesting/unique about me - "I have 6 siblings, I’m the oldest. I’m in the symphonic orchestra and I a photographer for the newspaper."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "I made the varsity guard team!"
7. Upcoming Auditions/Camps/Workshops/Performance Opportunities
Students in grades 6-12 may choose to prepare a solo and/or small ensemble work for the upcoming Solo/Ensemble Festivals that happen each spring semester. This is one of the many "extra" experiences we offer as part of our comprehensive band program. Our students have a long tradition of excellence in these events, and we are confident this year will be no exception!
- In middle school, the district festival includes each of the four LPS middle schools and occurs on Saturday, May 3. Be looking for more information from Ms. Gardner and Mr. Dragen after winter break!
- In high school, there is a pre-festival recital at LN (March 7), MSHSAA district festival (March 31), and State festival (April 29). All music must come from the state required list (the PML, or prescribed music list) and we are limited to 55 entries maximum at the district level.
PML - http://gvlabs.com/festivalmanager/mshsaa/src/admin_pml.php
Northwinds Symphonic Band Young Artist Concerto Competition
The Northwinds Symphonic Band has an annual Concerto Competition for students in grades 9-12. The winner of this competition not only gets to perform with this semi-professional band on one of their concerts, but they also win a cash prize of $1,000.00! (Dr. Doss has had 4 former students win this competition over the years, though I take ZERO credit for their success in this event! I say this only to let you know it is VERY possible to win!)
Information may be found here. Deadline is January 25, 2023.
Live Jazz KC High School All Star Big Band
The founders of the Live Jazz KC High School All Star Big Band are seeking motivated high school jazz musicians for this KC Metro honor group. Visit https://www.livejazzkc.com/hsallstars for details, and contact Mr. Fuller for a recommendation/nomination.
KU Prairie Winds Festival (High School Only)
Feb. 3-4, 2023 - Honor band, festival, and clinic - See https://music.ku.edu/band/prairiewinds for more information!
8. Directors Do Things, Too!
We write things!
9. Contact Information
SVMS - Kelsee.Gardner@lps53.org
HMS - Michael.Dragen@lps53.org
LNHS - Michaelshane.Fuller@lps53.org
LNHS - Justin.Doss@lps53.org
LNHS Band Website - libertynorthband.org
Remind Codes (text the code, including the "@" to the number 81010)
- LNHS Concert Band (all grades) - @lncb2223
- LNHS Seniors - @lnband23
- LNHS Juniors - @lnband24
- LNHS Sophomores - @lnband25
- LNHS Freshmen - @lnband26
- LNHS Varsity Guard - @lnvguard
- LNHS JV Guard - @jvguardln
Remind Codes for Band Boosters
- 22-23 Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors - @lnhsbandb2
- 22-23 Freshmen - @lnhsbb2026
- 22-23 8th Grade - @lnhsbb2027
LNHS Wind Symphony
Screaming Eagles Marching Band
Screaming Eagles Drumline and Percussion Ensemble
Screaming Eagles Pep Band
Screaming Eagles Jazz Band
LNHS Musical Pit Orchestra Director
LNHS, HMS, SVMS
LPS MS Honor Symphony Founder & Conductor
MMEA State Band Vice President
MMEA District #3 President-elect