Monte the Tiger's Weekly Update
News from Buena Vista Montessori ~ September 10, 2021
Hello Tiger Families!
It has been a great week here at Buena Vista! Students are getting deep into learning as they explore the different works in their classrooms. This is greatly enhanced by the social environment on campus. Students and teachers alike thrive when they are able to communicate, learn, and grow together in our classrooms. I want to thank our Buena Vista families and community for making the transition to the mask mandate so smooth. This mask mandate will help us to reduce quarantines and keep students learning on campus. Thank you for your continued support!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Thank you Rick's Garden Center!
Uninterrupted Work Period
School Highlight - Lower Elementary
D11 Attendance Policy Refresher
When a student misses more than 10 percent of any marking period, whether excused or unexcused, they are chronically absent from school. When a student misses any part of a school day, with no approved reason provided by the parent/guardian, the student is truant. Habitually truant students are those students who have four or more days of unexcused absences in a month, or ten days of unexcused absences in one year. Chronic absenteeism and truancy affect a student’s achievement and may delay a student’s academic progress. Students and parents/guardians who willfully violate this policy may be subject to disciplinary action at the school and through the judicial process.
Approved absences include the following per Colorado Revised Statute 22-33-104:
- A student who is temporarily ill or injured or whose absence is approved by the Principal of the school of attendance.
- A student who is absent for an extended period due to physical, mental, or emotional disability.
Please note that Colorado state law does not excuse vacations, time off to spend with family, or oversleeping.
Exceptions can be approved by the Principal for extenuating circumstances. When your child is away from school for any reason, it is imperative that you contact Buena Vista. You have 48 hours to excuse an approved absence; otherwise, your child’s absence will be marked as unexcused.
Excusing an approved absence can be done one of two ways at Buena Vista: 1) by calling 719-328-4100, or 2) by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more, please see the Student Conduct, Discipline and Attendance Code at https://www.d11.org/cms/lib/CO02201641/Centricity/Domain/69/StudentHandbook.pdf. Pages 7-8 summarize the district policy on Student Attendance, Absences, and Truancy, including a complete list of what is an approved absence and what is not.
Please be aware that students may not participate in after-school activities if they have been absent that day.
Per board policy, a student will be considered tardy if they arrive to class after the bell rings at 8:00 a.m. but before 8:20. After 8:20 the student is considered absent unless the absence is excused by a doctor’s note. Extenuating circumstances may be approved by the Principal.
School Accountability Committee Meeting
D11 needs your help to ensure that the vision and mission of Buena Vista Elementary are held within the standards of District 11 and that the teachers and staff of Buena Vista uphold the District 11 expectations for the education of all children.
Please plan to join the School Accountability Committee and hold our teachers and staff accountable to the children's educational needs and the district's expectations.
The first meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 14th in the evening by WebEx. Please join us at 5:00pm by clicking this link. The password is BVSAC.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the committee chair, Vicky McLaughlin, at email@example.com.
News from Your PTA
We're Looking for YOU!
Please consider joining the PTA this year. It is a great way to meet your fellow parents and advocate for your children at the same time! Currently we are busy planning for the fall carnival to be held in October. And, even if you can't attend the meetings or are unable to volunteer, still consider joining. Your membership fee goes to supporting our students to reach their fullest potential. Please see the flyer from your last week's Friday Folder for information on how to join.
You can also join online at https://bvmontessori.memberhub.com/join/8f0931.
If you have any questions you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Spirit Gear
We have plenty of kids sized Buena Vista logo face masks available for purchase in our PTA store. https://bvmontessori.new.memberhub.store/store
Mason Jars & Water Bottles
We also have stainless steel, 25oz water bottles that measure 3"x10" and feature a screw-on lid and double wall vacuum insulation to keep drinks at optimal temperatures. Get your water bottle for $18!
Additionally, we have 4.5oz farmhouse style mason jar mugs. Perfect for small servings and little hands! The mini mugs are $6.50 each or 4 for $24.
Please contact the PTA at email@example.com to purchase! Cash or check is preferred and they can be picked up before or after school at your convenience.
Easy Ways to Help Out the BV PTA
To enroll your Loyalty Card with BV:
- Log on to www.kingsoopers.com/communityrewards and click "Enroll Now" to sign in to your account. If you have never used your Loyalty Card online before you will have to create an account. You will need an e-mail and your Loyalty Card number or your alternate ID (often your phone#).
- Find Buena Vista Montessori School (programs are listed alphabetically) or use our Code: UQ795 as the program you want to support!
- You are DONE! THAT'S IT! Now whenever you shop you are earning BV PTA money!
- This program is a big "Free Money" maker that helps to fund many great BV and PTA events and equipment.
Sign up to support the BV PTA through AmazonSmile.
- You can select Buena Vista Montessori PTA as your charity recipient when you shop online at amazonsmile.com.
- AmazonSmile is also now available in the app on your Apple or Android devices. You can set this up in the app under "Settings">"Programs & Features".
- If you shop for girts on Amazon, this is an easy way for you to support our students and school.
- Be sure to ask your friends and family to select BV on AmazonSmile, as well.
News from the Health Room
My Child is Not Feeling Well. Now What?
The list below refers only to new symptom or a change in usual symptoms. A student should not be kept home for usual symptoms they experience due to a chronic condition unless they are worse than usual. These guidelines are in additional to your regular school guidance (for example, a student with vomiting symptoms should also not attend school based on usual school guidance).
If you student is experiencing any potentially life-threatening symptoms, please call 911.
If any of the following symptoms are present, keep the child at home / stay at home. Inform Ms. Karen B. in the office via phone call (719-328-4100) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Feeling feverish, having chills, or temperature of 100.4F or higher.
- New or unexplained persistent cough.
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Loss of taste or smell.
- Muscle aches.
- Sore throat.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Runny nose or congestion.
COVID Protocol Updates
These updates are current as of 2:00pm on Friday, August 6th. Should the protocols change, the district and our school will notify all community members as soon as possible.
- For students of any age, and staff riding D11 buses for any purpose (e.g., to and from school, activities, field trips, etc.), in alignment with the Federal mandate, face coverings on all D11 buses are required.
- For students ages 11 and under, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are strongly encouraged while learning indoors, but are not required.
- For students/staff ages 12 and over, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are strongly encouraged for anyone who is 12+ years and not fully vaccinated but are not required.
- We honor and respect the decisions of parents and staff when it comes to facial coverings, whether wearing one or not. As a district, our schools and central administration offices are expected to be welcoming and supportive of everyone and we will uphold a positive culture throughout the District. Should mask mandates be put back in place by state or local public health agencies, we will communicate that information. Please be informed about vaccinations and safety protocols so we can keep students in class as much as possible this year.
- We will continue with our diligent handwashing and sanitzing efforts throughout the school day. Including, but not limited to; after recess, before and after lunch, before and after specials, etc.
- Our children and staff will continue to clean and sanitize the classrooms daily. Our custodial staff will clean and sanitize the building and playgrounds daily, as well.
- The current guidelines indicate a three-foot space between each person. We will do our best to honor that guideline throughout the school day. However, due to the structure of our learning community, the social distancing is not always possible.
For additional resources and information from the State and local health agencies, please visit the following links:
Updated Return to Learn
Who Needs to Quarantine
At Home Symptom Screening Tool
Addressing Symptoms as School
Museum at the Fine Arts Center
D11 Visual and Performing Arts has partnered with the Museum at the Fine Arts Center at Colorado College to offer a special event just for District 11 families for four Saturdays in October. The FAC welcomes you and your family to the museum for guided experiences and activities on October, 9th, 16th, 23rd or 30th. This program is offered to D11 families to celebrate Arts Month! Please select the day and time you would like to attend. Each day has limited capacity, so families should sign up right away! Filling out this form is your registration and you will receive a confirmation email. The family day experience is ideally suited for children ages 4 and up. This experience is free and the FAC can accommodate accessibility needs. Sign up today!