HLES Parent Newsletter
- Thank you to all who joined us for our Thanksgiving lunch! We had an incredible turn-out!! It was wonderful to see everyone that came out!
- We had a great turn-out for our Model Mustangs and our 3rd & 4th grade performance in November. Thank you to everyone who attended as we recognized and honored our students!
- We will have McTeacher's Night at McDonald's this Wednesday from 4-7. HLES staff will be serving in different positions at McDonald's, and 20% of the proceeds earned during that time will be donated to HLES! Please come out and support our school!
- Class Christmas Parties are on December 20th. Your child's teacher will send more information home in the next few weeks. If you are planning to attend your child’s Christmas party, come by the office by December 19th and let us know so that we can pre-print a badge for you.
As we continue with our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and also encourage them to read independently. Please also review the two documents below- "The importance of Reading", and "Why can't I skip 20 minutes of Reading".
- This year, we have made a more intentional effort to emphasize Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) at school. SEL is most effective when we (parents and school staff) work together for our kids! Each month we'll attach the SEL Newsletter with information and tips about Social Emotional Learning. December's edition is attached below.
- Our school day begins at 7:45 am and ends at 3:15 pm. School doors open at 7:15 am for breakfast, and we begin instruction in classrooms promptly at 7:45 am. Please plan to have your children arrive at school as close to 7:15 am as possible so that they have ample time to eat without missing instructional time.
- We ask that parents who drop off their children in the morning do not drop them off earlier than 7:15 am, because we do not have staff available for supervision until that time. You are more than welcome to come earlier that 7:15 am, but if you do, please wait at the picnic tables with your student until our staff is available to supervise.
- Every Friday morning, we have Round-Up (our morning meeting). Round-Up will begin at 7:30 am and end at 7:50 am. If your student is a car rider, please plan to bring them to school at 7:15 am on Fridays so that they won’t miss out on any of the fun.
- Please continue to check Thursday folders for important information coming home. As we continue our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and encourage them to read independently as well.
- It is never too late to volunteer! If you would like to be a volunteer at Highland Lakes, please call the office and we will get you plugged in.
- Should your student’s transportation/pick-up need to change, please be sure to communicate that to their teacher in the planner. If the transportation/pick-up needs to be changed during the school day, please be sure to call the office before 2:30. If your student needs to take a different bus, it must be approved by the transportation department. The number to transportation is 830-798-2300.
One Novel Read
December 5 - McTeacher's Night from 4-7 pm at McDonald's in Marble Falls
December 20 - Class Christmas Parties
December 20 - Model Mustangs, 5th Grade Performance, & Hot Choc./pictures with Santa
December 21 - Early Dismissal
December 21 - End of 2nd 9 Weeks
December 24-January 4 - Christmas Break
January 7 - Teacher In-service/Student Holiday
January 8 - First Day of Spring Semester