January 19, 2015
Hope you all had a relaxing long weekend.
This weekend I attended an EdCamp conference. EdCamp is considered an "unconference" because there isn't a set schedule. The topics are decide that day by participants. It was a great day filled with interesting conversations with local educators. We discussed Dave Burgess and his "Teach Like a Pirate" movement, nonfiction strategies, twitter and blogging. I even met Steve Call's wife, Debby! See below for a new twist on the KWL chart.
Some of our fifth graders have been reading 5 books from the Newbery Award nominee list as part of the "Mock Newbery Book Club." They have been discussing the books using Edmodo with students from the Hill School in Brockport. Thursday, both clubs "met" via Skype. Here are some pictures from the meeting...
THIS WEEK AT TJC
AM: Tracy/Tricia, Hughes, Joe Lee
PM: Hoch, Grattan, Clark
Monday, January 19
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - rest and relax!
Tuesday, January 20
- Grade Level Meetings - First Grade
- Reading Incentive Meeting, 3:20 pm, TJC Library
Wednesday, January 21
- Career & College Ready Study Room, 3:30 pm, TJC Library
- Shared Decision Making Team, 6:00 pm, Teacher Center
Thursday, January 22
- Social Studies Framework Workshop at BOCES
Friday, January 23
- Grade Level Meetings - First Grade Greene @ 8:30 am; Kittle @ 10:45 am, Hotaling @ 1:15 pm
Websites, Blogs or Twitter accounts worth checking out
KLEW instead of KWL
Here's a variation on the KWL chart that I learned about this weekend. I liked this because of the focus on providing evidence. Here is link that explains more about it - Evidence Helps the KWL Get a KLEW.