FOR the RECORD
2018-2019 Transitional Transfers
Some parents of current 5th and current 8th grade students think that if they submitted an Immediate Transfer for their child earlier this year believing that the Immediate Transfer will be accepted first before the Transitional Transfers. Actually Transitional Transfers get accepted first, and then schools fill in with Immediate Transfers. Please make sure your parents understand this. In past years, we have had some disappointed parents and children thinking that Immediate Transfers are the route to go for their 5th or 8th grade children for the middle or high school of their choice.
Thanks for helping on this.
Nutrition Services Department
Here are some tidbits of what Nutrition Services Department accomplishes.
SPS Nutrition Services Depart Overview
· Number of Meals Served: 5.2 million meals each year
· Number of Breakfasts served each day: 13,400
· Number of Lunches served each day: 12,300
· Number of Super Snacks/Dinners each day: 1700
· Number of Explore meals per summer: 365,000
· Number of Staff: approximately 260
· Nutrition Services is a self-funded department and all funds received by NS supports the food service programs of SPS.
Programs served at SPS
· Traditional Breakfast
· Breakfast in the Classroom
· After School Super Snack
· After School Snack
· Early Childhood Care Meals
· Choice Programs
· Field Trips
Free and Reduced Application
· Each year our families need to fill out a new Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals form in order to qualify for free and reduced benefits.
· There is a 30 day grace period in the beginning of each school year so families have enough time to complete a new application. If a new application is not filled out by the deadline students will fall off the program and will be considered full price.
· Our district works hard to keep all students on the free and reduced program thru a collaborative effort between Nutrition Services, School Sites and Health Services to make this happen.
Free & Reduced Application: https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/welcome (Now available in 180 different languages on–line)
We recently completed our 2nd annual Jr. Chef Competition at Hickory Hills on September 30th. We had 13 teams with 2-4 students ranging from 3rd – 8th grade. Our theme this year was Taco’s. The winning chefs come from Sequiota Elementary School. Lenna Grace Satterwhite, Madison Unser, Jaselynn Steding, and Silvey Hudson's team, The Asian Queens, was coached by Josh Unser. Their recipe called Asian Explosion won Judges's Choice award.
Wash your hands
Wash all fresh produce
1. Peel & slice the carrots.
2. Peel & slice the apple.
3. Peel & slice the cucumber.
4. Slice the red cabbage.
5. Cut up the mint. Add all cut up produce to a bowl.
6. Add 1/8 cup of olive oil. Mix the slaw.
7. Put slaw in fridge until final preparation.
Shredded Chicken Mixture
1. Grate ginger.
2. Warm the shredded chicken in the electric skillet.
3. Mix 1/3 cup of honey, ¼ cup of soy sauce and ginger together.
4. Add sauce to chicken mixture. Bring to a boil the remove from heat.
1. Warm the tortillas on skillet.
Fill the tortillas with Asian slaw then chicken mixture. Top with sesame seeds.
We are planning our collaborative Staff Cooking Class along with SPS’s Wellness Coordinator Jeff Rogers for the Holidays between Thanksgiving and Winter break…more info to come!
SPS Volunteer Program
Research indicates that volunteering benefit an individual by the feeling of making a difference in one's community or with others. Volunteering can boost one's sense of well being, belonging to a community and making a difference in the lives of others. The Greek philosopher Aristotle once surmised that the essence of life is “To serve others and do good.” If recent research is any indication, serving others might also be the essence of good health. To find out more about the benefits of volunteering, follow this link to the Corporation for National and Community Service.
If you know of someone who might like to volunteer within the SPS District, refer them to our SPS Volunteer webpage. A potential volunteer can find the SPS Volunteer Program under the Families Heading.
Many thanks to the volunteers who log their hours in the Volunteer Hour Log. Site Volunteer Coordinators will receive emails with their volunteer total hours broken down by volunteer.