Cyberbullying and Online Safety
What you can do to keep kids safe
Why is online safety so important?
http://kids.getnetwise.org/safetyguide/ is a great resource that has all the information on the basics of online safety, as well as how the web affects different age groups!
What is Cyberbulying?
Some examples include:
- Sending hurtful texts or emails
- Harassing another individual over the phone
- Posting embarrassing videos or pictures on the internet
For more information, you can use https://www.commonsensemedia.org/cyberbullying
How can you make sure you child is safely using the internet?
- You should introduce the topic by asking them what they know about online safety.
- Always use simple language that will not confuse or scare them. Tell them the benefits of using the internet, and show them that if used properly, it can be a great resource!
- Ask them what they think they should do to stay safe.
- Work with them to create your own list of rules for using the computer
https://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0006-talk-your-kids Is a great website that gives information on how to talk to kids about how to talk to children about online safety.
- Never give your password out to anyone
- Do not put your name, age, or address,, or phone number online
- Pre-bookmark a list of approved websites. Have your child only use those websites.
- If your child wants to use another website or download content, they must ask for permission
- What is cyberbulling and why is it bad?
- How does it happen? How can it be prevented?
- What should your child do if they or a friend become victims of an attack?
- What can your child do to make sure that they are not hurting anyone else?
- What kinds of behaviors are acceptable, and what is not?
Pic #2:http://pixgood.com/internet-safety-clip-art.htmlPic #3: http://pixgood.com/parent-talking-to-child-clip-art.html