By Ross Bagley, Patrick Hickox, Carter Evans
- Herbert was president from March 4,1929-March 4,1933.
- He was the 31st president of the United States.
- He took office on the same year that the stock market crashed.
- Even though he didn't contribute to the crash of the stock market, the American people blamed him for it.
- Hoover never really addressed the severity of the situation.
- As a result, he was defeated by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1932 election.
- Shantytowns appeared across the nation as people were unemployed from the Great Depression and became known as Hoovervilles.
- These towns were primarily found on the outskirts of cities.
- Hooverville shanties were constructed of cardboard, tar paper, glass, lumber, tin and whatever other materials people could salvage.
- Hoovercarts were for people who couldn't afford the gas for their car.
- These people would cut the front half of their car off and leave the backseats attached with the rear wheels.
- A horse or two was attached to the front to pull te car down the road.
- You could almost refer to hoovercars as a wagon like you see in movies.