By Itzel Zertuche
Characteristics of Multicultural Education
According to Ovando and Combs (2012), there are seven different characteristics of multicultural education.
1. Multicultural education is against racism, but they still view the racism points usually made.
2. Multicultural education is mixed with general education. It could be taught by reading a book or working on a math problem.
3. Multicultural education is very important for student of all socioeconomic status (SES).
4. It takes more than just a lecture to teach children about multicultural education.
5. Multicultural education shows children to connect their knowledge and actions.
6. It does not only involve reading about it, but also connecting with different people.
7. Multicultural education is critical pedagogy.
Multicultural Education and Technology
Love would be created between different cultures.
Children would find peace among each other by respecting the different vultures.
The world would be a much better place.
Children's Museum of Houston
Ally B. (2010, November 8). Multiculturalism. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/UhGsy3QUSow
Bian , W., Wang, J. & McKinley, B. (2009) Integrating Multicultural Education. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 80:5, 40-46, DOI: 10.1080/07303084.2009.10598324
Cousik, R. (2015). Cultural and functional diversity in the elementary classroom: Strategies for teachers. Journal for Multicultural Education, 9(2), 54-67. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.lib.uh.edu/docview/1683037042?accountid=7107
Matuk, L. Y., & Ruggirello, T. (2007). Culture Connection Project: promoting multiculturalism in elementary schools. Canadian Journal Of Public Health = Revue Canadienne De Santé Publique, 98(1), 26-29
Ovando, C. J., & Combs, M. C. (2012). Bilingual and ESL classrooms: Teaching in multicultural contexts. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Peggy Moore-Hart (2004). Creating Learning Environments That Invite all Students to Learn through Multicultural Literature and Information Technology, Childhood Education, 81:2, 87-94, DOI: 10.1080/00094056.2005.10522245
Sanders, K. & Downer, J. (2012). Practicing acceptance of diversity in pre-kindergarted classrooms. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 27, 503-511 doi 10.1016/j.ecresq.2011.12.001