The Sunday Message
Announcements, Resources, Celebrations 8/7/17
Did you know that you could help Pleasant Union Elementary earn money by simply linking your store cards and clipping labels? Be on the lookout for a PeachJar digital flier or click here for details how to link cards from Harris Teeter, Kroger, and AmazonSmile. The flier will also share how you can clip your box tops participate in the Box Tops for Education and Tyson A+ Project.
Communication is Important
Communication is important to us at Pleasant Union. Below is a list of how we reach out to our Pleasant Union Family.
- Weekly Sunday Message Voicemail, email and text
- Remind for Bus riders-an alert system for when there are bus delays and changes
- Staff phone calls, emails, classroom blogs, newsletters, Twitter feeds
- Twitter @PleasantUnionYR
- Pleasant Union Web Page
- Pleasant Union PTA website and Facebook link
My Students Team (MST)
This fall, the Wake County Schools are piloting a new communications strategy designed to increase family engagement called My Students Team (MST). The program allows us to provide academic updates to select adults outside the immediate family. Such communications are typically reserved for only parents or guardians, but MST allows parents to name up to two other supporters who may receive this information. The purpose is to see if the additional support helps a student academically.
These supporters--siblings, aunts/uncles, grandparents, friends, etc.--will receive periodic text and mail updates related to such topics as achievement, attendance and scheduling. The project is developed, financed and implemented by the Student Social Support Lab at Harvard University.
We are excited about the opportunity to increase the number of non-parental supporters who receive important information about students. We expect you will have at least a few questions about this initiative. Our district's MST website,
has a list of frequently asked questions. Be on the lookout for a more detailed info flier over the next couple of weeks which explains in more detail how you can participate in this new communication strategy.
After School Opportunities at PUE
TGA Golf and Tennis: Offered Monday afternoons
TGA introduces the life-long sports of golf and tennis at a young age through programs that provide a fun and enriching experience for children while being a convenient and affordable option for parents. Our dedicated coaching staff help students develop their skills and a passion for golf or tennis while using the sports as a vehicle for delivering curriculums that are loaded with educational concepts including STEM and life skills such as respect, honesty, perseverance and sportsmanship. Register here.
KidzArt: Offered on Tuesday afternoons
This is KidzArt! Where ages 2- adult HAVE FUN, learn to draw and experience creativity building exercises. Offered at schools and other community locations, our mobile program is complimented with 3-D projects, new and varied art mediums and our unique multi-cultural curriculum.
Stem for Kids: Offered Wednesday afternoons
We are adding a new science after school program this year called Stem for Kids. Go to their website to find out more about their programs. If you are interested in signing up your child for some or all of their programs that will be offered go to the Stem for Kids Registration Flier.
Mark Your Calendars
Tuesday, August 15
- PTA Meeting in Media Center beginning at 8:15
Friday, August 18
- Early Release. Students will be dismissed at 1:15. Those registered in After School Program will move to the gym after dismissal and conclude at their regular closing time of 6:00 pm.
Thursday, August 24
- Open House 6-8:00, 1st-5th Grades, Track 4 Great opportunity of parents to find out what your child will be learning this year and how you can help in the classroom and at the school.
- Session 1, 6-6:55
- Session 2, 7-7:55
- Child Care Available for Kindergarten-5th grade siblings. Sign up here by Wednesday, August 23 at 12:00 noon. Please note that we will not be able to care for toddlers ages birth to age 4.
- After School Opportunities Vendors will be here to share info about their programs.
- Bam Pow Chow food truck will be available from 5-7:00 pm. For your convenience, the cafeteria will be open for you to sit down and enjoy your dinner before the Open House begins. The menu can be found at the following website: http://www.bampowchow.com/our-menu.html