Word of the Week
FULL DEFINITION OF DETERMINE
1 a : to fix conclusively or authoritatively <determine national policy>
b : to decide by judicial sentence <determine a plea>
c : to settle or decide by choice of alternatives or possibilities <trying to determine the best time to go>
d : resolve <she determined to do better>
2a : to fix the form, position, or character of beforehand : ordain <two points determine a straight line>
b : to bring about as a result : regulate <demand determines the price>
3a : to fix the boundaries of
b : to limit in extent or scope
c : to put or set an end to : terminate <determine an estate>
4: to find out or come to a decision about by investigation, reasoning, or calculation <determine the answer to the problem> <determine a position at sea>
5: to bring about the determination of <determine the fate of a cell>
1: to come to a decision
2: to come to an end or become void
EXAMPLES OF DETERMINE
- The new policy will be determined by a special committee.
- The demand for a product determines its price.
- He believes that one's personality is determined mostly by genetics.
- An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
- They are unable to accurately determine the ship's position at this time.
- Scholars have determined that the book was written in the late 16th century.
- I am trying to determine what happened and when.
- They are determining if they should stay.
- They determined to leave immediately.