The Gayman Gazette
What's Happening in and Around Gayman Elementary School?
May 17, 2013
Upcoming Important Dates
- Thursday, May 22nd – Home & School Meeting @ 9:00 AM
- Monday, May 27th – No School - Memorial Day Holiday
- Tuesday, May 28th – Evacuation Drill to Tohickon
- Thursday, May 30th – String Instrumental Concert at Tohickon
- Saturday, June 1st – Gayman 5K Fitness Run/1-Mile Fun Run
- Thursday, June 6th – 6th Grade Club Event
- Friday, June 7th – Field Day
- Thursday, June 13th - End of Year Home & School Picnic
- Tuesday, June 18th – 6th Grade Promotion at Tohickon
- Wednesday, June 19th – Early Dismissal at 11:55 AM; No AM Kindergarten – Last Day of School
Friday Morning Newscast
Science News in 2nd Grade
Mrs. Hofmann’s second grade students were excited to spend time dissecting owl pellets as part of their Habitat Unit in Science. After learning that owl pellets are the regurgitated bones and fur that an owl is unable to digest (and that the pellets had been previously sanitized), they dug right in and identified skulls, teeth, beaks, and other bones of the prey that owls eat. As one student said, “ My favorite part was feeling and seeing the cool bones and skulls that owls eat.”
Remember to Check Attendance
MARK YOUR CALENDAR-GAYMAN FITNESS RUN APPROACHING!!
The Gayman 5K Fitness Run & 1-Mile Fun Run will take place on Saturday, June 1st. These events are open to ALL present and past Gayman students and their family members. To sign-up for the race click here.
We are also looking for race sponsors; as a sponsor your name will be listed on the free t-shirt given to all participants. For details please contact either Mr. Testani (email@example.com) or call the office at (267) 893-4350.
Gayman's Year-End Picnic is Fast Approaching!
The Family Fun Night Committee is pleased to announce the Year-End Picnic!
When: Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. (rain or shine)
Where: Gayman Elementary School Playground
What: Hot dogs, chips, and beverages will be supplied
Please click here to access the registration form (To be returned to the school office by Friday, June 7, 2013)
A Sincere Thank You From the Bucks County Housing Group
The Bucks County Housing Group sends a sincere "thank you" to all the students and staff at Gayman Elementary School who contributed to the Operation Helping Hands Food Drive this year.
Overall, the drive provided approximately 2,672 lbs of food for the Pantry, of which 157 lbs were collected from Gayman Elementary School. They have approximately 340 families visit the food pantry every month, and keeping the shelves stocked is an ongoing challenge. Your generous donation is much appreciated and will go directly to needy families in our local community.
At the May 14, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the CB West Chamber Choir performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Crotzer’s 2nd grade Barclay class.
2. Recognized Donna Radice, Certified School Nurse at Holicong Middle School, for being named PA School Nurse of the Year. Also recognized four students for winning an Aramark sponsored Nutrition poster contest for National Nutrition Month in March. The students are:
K-3 Madison Gordon – Warwick Elementary
4-6 Sarah Hicks – Doyle Elementary
Middle Steven Song – Tohickon
High Grace Lenart – CB South
3. Heard the Academic Spotlight about Hearing Support Services by Jane Curtis and Jean Marie Perry. Ms. Curtis and Mr. Perry provide hearing support to our students with hearing impairments. These students require services to address needs primarily in the area of language arts, communication, accessing public and private accommodations and the use of assistive technologies designed for individuals with deafness or hearing impairment.
4. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Communications, Curriculum, and Human Resources Committee Reports.
5. Approved the School Board Minutes.
6. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
§ Contract to S & H Landscaping to replace the parking lot, entrance drives, and student drop off loops at Pine Run Elementary School in the amount of $828,185.
7. Tabled School Board Policy #217 – Graduation Requirements, School Board Policy #217.3 – Awarding of Credit-Other Educational Experience, School Board Policy #302 – Employment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, and School Board Policy #312 – Performance Assessment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website.
8. Approved School Board Policy #210 – Use of Medications and the School Board Policy for Electronic Signatures.
9. Approved various personnel items, student trips, Foreign Exchange Student at CB West, Adoption of Courses of Study, Adoption of Textbooks and Staff Workshops. Included in the personnel items were the appointments of the following principals:
§ Jason Bucher – Principal, Central Bucks High School – West
§ David Bolton – Principal, Holicong Middle School
§ Tim Donovan – Principal, Lenape Middle School
§ Christina Lang – Principal, Unami Middle School
10. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence, Student Activities Quarterly Reports, and Board Calendar as information items.