FAC Weekly Update
March 3, 2023
Good Morning, FAC Family
We hope that you had a wonderful week!
Our spring event calendar is just starting to heat up. Congrats to the students of the 1:30 and 2:25 p.m. Jazz Studios on a fantastic concert this past Wednesday! Tonight, we have a special concert performance featuring FAC Chamber Strings Artist-in-Residence Hal Grossman. Admission is free! Keep an eye out for other event announcements in the newsletter below.
DOUBLE IT Matching Donation Campaign Update - see below for our donation counter. We have about two weeks left in the fundraising window, and are just under half way to our goal. I will be rolling out a fun incentive to the students (via Instagram) to energize this campaign. We appreciate any contribution you can make!
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
"When you need to learn quickly, learn from others.
When you need to learn deeply, learn from experience."
"If two people have the same goal, you know nothing about the similarity of their results. But if two people have the same daily habits, you can infer quite a bit about the similarity of their results. Your results are largely a byproduct of your habits."
"A paradox of life is that the greatest returns come in the long-term, but the opportunity cost of moving slowly is huge.
Long-term thinking is not slow acting.
Act fast on things that compound. Never let a day pass without doing something that will benefit you in a decade."
- James Clear
Don't Miss The Opening Reception of the Studio Architecture Juried Exhibition
Tuesday, March 7; 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Converse College Emerging Young Artists Juried Exhibition
Congratulations to the following FAC Visual Artists whose work was accepted into the 2023 Converse Emerging Young Artists Juried Exhibition!
- Lee Bryan - Wall - Hand dyed fabric, polyfil, thread
- Sariah Caldwell - Gray Paper Portrait- charcoal and conte on paper
- Lily Caligan-Gilliam - Hand With Flowers - Inkjet Print
- Anna Cassell - Hold that Thought - Acrylic on Canvas
- Evie Driggs - Daydreaming - terracotta, underglazes, low-fire glazes
- Selah Impson - Implied Line - Inkjet Print
- Amara Listar - The Absence of Awareness - brass, copper, glass, wood
- Luke Manley - The Lost Connection - Image transfer on wood
- Nicholas Martinez - Felix's World - Inkjet Print
- Haleigh Perkins - Woven Balance Puzzle - Fabric, polyfil, thread
- Grace Peters - The Navigator - enamel on copper, wood
- Audrey Seehorn - Cornucopia - watercolor, ink paper
- Jessica Spott - Blue Sake Set - stoneware, cone six glazes
- Ella Tomlin - Generation to Generation - tyvek on board
- Aiden Tribble - Words Words Words - tyvek on manneq
- Ava Youngblood - Expectations - stoneware, underglazes, low-fire glazes
- Edie Youngblood - Boots - ink on paper
- Cassandra Zbin - Deconstruction - Inkjet Print
SCPTA Reflections Awards
Congratulations to the following FAC students whose music compositions were recognized through the SCPTA Reflections competition!
- Tori Olson (Grade 10, Jazz and Recording Arts) - Award of Excellence
- Dylan Howard (Grade 12, Recording Arts) - Award of Merit
Tori's composition will move on to be adjudicated in the National competition! This is the second time that Tori has had one of her pieces selected for Nationals. We wish her the best of luck.
Congratulations to April Dauscha
FAC Fiber Arts Instructor April Dauscha has her artwork currently on display at the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft in a show titled, "Holding Pattern." Details about the show can be found at the following link - https://www.kmacmuseum.org/holding-pattern.
Congrats to Kadin Dobbins!
Kadin Dobbins of the Digital Filmmaking program recently had the opportunity to work on a horror film titled, “Are you there?” The film, directed by Kim Noonan, produced by Brian Tedeschi and written by Vicki Vass, was shot in Tryon, NC. As an intern his duties included setting up locations, cleaning up (fake) blood, and filling in as an extra.
FAC Students Performing in the Community
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - SC Children's Theatre
Carolina Ballet Theatre - Empowering Women
Carolina Ballet Theatre presents Empowering Women - A community outreach performance benefiting Jasmine Road. The performance features 9 students from the FAC Dance Studios and 2 FAC Dance Alumni. For more information, please go to https://carolinaballet.org/.
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
Upcoming FAC Performances
Scholarship Opportunities for FAC Seniors
Students may log on to https://www.schoolinks.com/ to access a comprehensive scholarship list. Click on “Finances” and “Scholarship Matching.”
AHAM - The Hispanic American Women’s Association is pleased to announce the 2023 scholarship award to eligible Hispanic students in the Upstate. Students can complete their application and submit all their documents directly to the following: https://www.ahamsc.org/scholarship. Deadline: March 15, 2023
Music Club of Greenville School Scholarship: Applicant must plan to major in music at any college, university or conservatory in the U.S to be eligible for this scholarship. Open to vocalists for performance degrees, music ed or musical theatre. Must apply and audition. Audition areas include voice, piano, strings (including guitar), winds, brass and percussion. Must permanently reside in Pickens, Greenville or Spartanburg counties. More details and application available at https://musicclubgreenville.org Deadline March 24, 2023
Regions Black History Scholarship Essay Contest | Regions https://www.regions.com/about-regions/diversity-equity-inclusion/supporting-communities/black-history-month/essay-contest-scholarship. Deadline: March 31, 2023
J E Sirrine Scholarship: Students may apply for a $2,000 Sirrine Scholarship by visiting the Sirrine Scholarship Application website. Renewable for a maximum of three (3) years, provided the student maintains satisfactory progress toward the completion of his/her program of studies. Deadline: April 15, 2023
Duck Tape Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest - Over $20,000 in cash scholarships for high school students who make the best prom attire from Duck Brand Duct tape. Create an outfit and/or costume to be judged on originality, workmanship, use of colors, accessories and use of Duck Brand tape. 14 years and older are eligible. Details at www.stuckatprom.com March 29-June 7
- Saturday, March 4 - FAC Audition Day #2
- Thursday, March 9 - The Next Generation: A Concert of Creative Minds; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Tuesday, March 14 - Strings Chamber Music Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Friday, March 17 - Sunday, March 26 - Spring Break
- Friday, March 31 - Elevate 2023 Showcase; Gunter Theatre, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 6 - FAC Dance Spring Concert; Gunter Theatre, 7:00 p.m.
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.
Location: 102 Pine Knoll Drive, Greenville, SC, USA
Phone: (864) 355-2550