PHA News and Updates
You're recieving this because you've expressed an interest in the Postpartum Health Alliance!
Upcoming Trainings and Events
October 18th is the Sweetest Day!
The Sweetest Day is an American holiday that serves as a reminder that a thoughtful small gift enriches the life of the recipient, as well as the person giving it. This year, PHA is honoring the holiday with a fundraiser and an opportunity for local moms and families to give back to other moms in need! We have sought out the support of local restaurants, cafes and bakeries to donate a proceeds of their sales on October 18th to PHA! Look for our list of participating establishments coming soon!
Supporting new moms, one treat at a time!
PHA Edu Luncheon with MARIELA G. SHIBLEY, PSY.D.
Culture is embedded in every aspect of one's life, shaping the way we view ourselves and how we relate with others. This presentation will briefly define culture and how cultural differences - particularly language differences - impact our work with those struggling with perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs).
1. Participants will be able to identify the differences between cultural relativism and cultural universality.
2. Participants will be able to identify the relationship between language and emotions, and how language can be both a barrier and a defense.
3. Participants will be able to recognize and apply interactive communication processes that facilitate the development of a strong therapeutic alliance in the presence of language and cultural differences.
September 26, 2014 from 12:00 pm -1:30 pm
Elijah's Restaurant, 8861 Villa La Jolla Dr, La Jolla, CA 92037
Event is FREE for PHA Members and $10 for non-members. Course meets the qualifications for 1hour of continuing education credit for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
For questions or to RSVP, please email email@example.com
The Doula Initiative presents the FALL FAMILY FAIR 2014
It's back! The Doula Initiative is bringing back the fun with bounce houses, relay races, sidewalk grafitti and craft time! Not to mention the singing and dancing with Hullabaloo and Kathryn the Grape! This year there will also be gourmet food trucks and more!
PHA will have a booth at the event and we want YOU to come join us in this FREE and fun family event!
October 11, 2014
10am - 4pm
Liberty Station Ingram Plaza
Click here to learn more about the vendors and the featured entertainment!
Bringing Light to Motherhood: Certification Training for Health Care Professionals
The two-day Bringing Light to Motherhood certification training offered by the Los Angeles County Perinatal Mental Health Task Force will address the following objectives:
- Understand and recognize symptoms of PMADs (perinatal mood and anxiety disorders);
- Identify risk factors, co-morbid conditions and additional considerations;
- Successffully administer assessment and screening tools to pregnant and postpartum women;
- Learn basics of effective intervention;
- Identify resources for informed care.
The training will take place on September 29, 2014 - September 30, 2014 from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm at the Taglyan Complex 1201 Vine St. Los Angeles, CA 90038.
Click here to register for the event!
Other Events and Upcoming Trainings
- September 26th-29th - Bastyr University presents the Postpartum Doula Skills Workshop
- October 17th - PHA North County Networking Event! Keep your eye out for upcoming details!